GDT Youngstown Penguins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT Youngstown Penguins

60 degrees and rain predicted for the game at "The Ice Palace" -- Stambaugh Field.

Quick Facts on Stambaugh and the Youngstown success:
    ...tallest building in Youngstown;
    ...capacity 20,360;
    ...home of YSU football since 1982;
    ...almost four out of five times a visiting program has left Stambaugh Stadium on the losing end of the score;
    ...only three times in 25 seasons have the Penguins failed to finish above .500;
    ...at home in the playoffs, YSU is 14-1 having won 14 straight home games after losing to Central Florida in their first-ever home playoff tilt in November 1990;
    ...since the 1996 season, the Penguins have been 57-17 (.757 winning percentage);
    ...since the 1989 season, YSU is impressive 102-20-1;
    ...YSU undefeated in 1993, 1994 and 2005.
    ...FCS National Champs in 93 and 94; in 2005, Gateway Champs; in 2006, 7-1 with playoff wins over James Madison and Illinois State.
    ...Penguins have won 74.5 percent of their games at Stambaugh, posting a 125-41-1 overall home mark in 25 seasons. Prior to this season, nine of the 10 all-time largest Gateway crowds have been at Stambaugh.

SDSU 24, Tuxedoed Birds 14....they'll have to edit the above facts for next year's media guide.

Nice looking facility!

Re: GDT Youngstown Penguins

I agree, nice looking facility. Also, way to find some interesting stats and facts about YSU.

I guess I'll make a prediction, based on nothing other than my big blue and yeller sunglasses, because it's sunny outside (ahhh, sun!!! I'm melting!!)

Away team 30
    Home team 24
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Showers just moved through youngstown with a smaller band about an hour away . teimp 50 with sw winds 15-23 light rain. our kind of playing weather.

Comment

I'm going out to shoot pheasants for a couple hours before the game. That's a good Saturday!

Comment

That is a goo Saturday. Sun is out, I must do yard work
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

That big, black semi-circle on the back center of the stadium is their Penguin Club, basically a big restaurant looking out on Youngstown where they do a booster meals on game days. There are also a bunch of basketball practice courts under the main grandstand.

Very nice facility.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
              That is a goo Saturday. Sun is out, I must do yard work
              Saturday just improved! Hunting delayed until about 1:15...so now watching the replay of last week's win over UNI.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                That big, black semi-circle on the back center of the stadium is their Penguin Club, basically a big restaurant looking out on Youngstown where they do a booster meals on game days.
                That is a really cool idea. I like that.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
                  Rabbits 38
                  Guins 13

Rabbits get 2 scores on defense.
                  I like the way you think!

Comment

Rabbits 27
                    Penguins 21

Need a solid rushing game and some good, controlled passing by Crawford. And the defense needs to play like they always do. Jake Steffen, Danny Batten, Conrad Kjerstad and Derek Domino need to make some plays.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Nice pic of their stadium. Looks really nice.
                      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

The YSU student section is right behind the visitor's bench, too, which can be interesting.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          The YSU student section is right behind the visitor's bench, too, which can be interesting.
                          Yea, it was. I got hit by a battery thrown from that section.

Precious memories.

Comment

Burgers are off the grill, just cracked open a beer and the game is on! I'm ready for a 28-14 Jackrabbits victory!

Comment

Doesn't look like a lot of tuxedo fans in the stands.

Comment

Working...
                              X