Gopher Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gopher Board

Three weeks out and the Jacks already get three pages of discussion over at one of the Gopher boards. Gotta love it. http://boards.gopherhole.com/boards/...ad.php?t=10063

Re: Gopher Board

More respect there already than from some of the teams we have beaten.

Comment

There's some good stuff on there.

Somebody ought to tell Bronco Nagurski that the Gophers are one of the bottom feeders of the Big 10 right now and not on pace to make the Rose Bowl.

This game seems so far into the future right now. I hope the Jacks have 8 wins by the time they play the Gophs and are playing for bigger and better things (a playoff seed).

Comment

I thought for the most part the fans there were level-headed, but I really didn't understand why they would think that anyone is SD has an inferiority complex about anything in MN. That didn't make any sense to me at all.

Maybe I missed something about the state of Gopher athletics? The university? Maybe they mean the Twin Cities? The state itself? Yeah, I got nothing to have an inferiority complex over in that list because I grew up in SD. Strange, to say the least. They have a well respected university but goodness, someone might want to tell them that the sun shines in a lot of other parts of this country not just a few thousand acres in the middle of Minneapolis.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

First of all I think it is great that U of M fans are already talking (worried) about the Jacks. Second, in my opinion Gopher fans are the WORST fans in D1A football. Exhibit A: comments on a Brewster article on Startribune.com
          http://ww2.startribune.com/user_comm...sports/gophers

the vast majority of the comments just shred this team. No support, they bash their QB time and again, very apathetic fans and will hop off the bandwagon in a heartbeat. I understand their frustration, but Brewster has made progress, he is recruiting well, and they want to run him out of town already. It takes time to build a team, especially in the conference like the big10, a new stadium doesn't ensure you will win.

I just hope we make their fears a reality and bring 10-15K to the game, and we beat them. Then the gopher fans can get what they want, a new coach, and they can continue their current path as a mediocre football program.

Oh, one last thing, if they lose to Michigan State and Illinois, there will be A LOT of empty seats at TCF for the Jacks game. Most of them will be in the student section, which will make it easier on the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            I thought for the most part the fans there were level-headed, but I really didn't understand why they would think that anyone is SD has an inferiority complex about anything in MN. That didn't make any sense to me at all.

Maybe I missed something about the state of Gopher athletics? The university? Maybe they mean the Twin Cities? The state itself? Yeah, I got nothing to have an inferiority complex over in that list because I grew up in SD. Strange, to say the least. They have a well respected university but goodness, someone might want to tell them that the sun shines in a lot of other parts of this country not just a few thousand acres in the middle of Minneapolis.
            That right there is your typical metro-area, we are the center of the universe, thinking that is pretty common place in the Twin Cities area. They treat "out-state" Minnesotans the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
              That right there is your typical metro-area, we are the center of the universe, thinking that is pretty common place in the Twin Cities area. They treat "out-state" Minnesotans the same way.
              I lived in Rochester, MN for 7 years and SD's description is accurate. You just have to shake your head, laugh and go in there with nothing to lose while trying to enjoy the experience. I have enjoyed trips to Williams arena to watch the Jacks and expect the same at the new FB stadium. The fact they are even talking about us pretty well sums up their season thus far.

As an aside, I'm enjoying the banter in Nebraska fans as well. They don't know what to expect from their team right now.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Eric Decker the star WR for the Gophers is out for the rest of the season.
                Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU_TUBA View Post
                  I have watched parts of several Gophers games this season and without Decker they literally have no offense whatsoever. The focus has got to be on winning the conference title and this game does nothing to help that goal, but when you have a chance to face a wounded FBS program with shaky confidence.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying that I'm starting to see an opportunity here.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I attended the Michigan at Minnesota football game last year and Decker got hurt really early in that game, and after that the Gophers offense was just pathetic to watch. This was literally the worst college football game I have ever seen, as neither team ran anything but wide receiver screens the entire game. I think burning a $50 bill would have been more entertaining than watching this game and it would have cost the same.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Agreed. Minnesota really has struggled the past two seasons to move the ball without Decker in the game.

Comment

That sucks. Decker is one heck of a football player and I was looking forward to seeing him in person.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Bad news for a really good player, good news for the Jacks. As mentioned above, their offense is not the same without him. My concern is Marquis Grey. (sp?) If he is playing more or starting by then, he is very quick, very fast, not the best passer but he broke a 40+ yard run agains Ohio State. I think we could get to Webber, and they do not have a strong running game.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                            Bad news for a really good player, good news for the Jacks. As mentioned above, their offense is not the same without him. My concern is Marquis Grey. (sp?) If he is playing more or starting by then, he is very quick, very fast, not the best passer but he broke a 40+ yard run agains Ohio State. I think we could get to Webber, and they do not have a strong running game.
                            Yeah we would have more trouble with a mobile QB like Gray then Weber, I think. I would of loved to see Decker in action, but this makes the game a little more attainable.

talk about their QBs
                            "At QB, they are going to continue to do the things they do, Adam Weber will be the starting QB, MarQueis Gray will get opportunities like he did like against OSU. Weber threw the ball very well early in the game, but the team didn’t do a good job of supporting him. He will continue to be our starter, and will play very well on Saturday night."
                            Go State! Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                              I like our chances on offense too, if we can get into 3rd & short situations as the gopher defense has really struggled getting off the field at times. I also like the fact that they play Iowa the week after us, in which they may overlook us. Another factor if the gophers lose any of there next two games, the "fire Brewster" chants may be starting at TCF when we play them.

Comment

Working...
                              X