Prepping for the Penguins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping for the Penguins

It's time. Everyone's riding a high right now, however, to get that all important 8 wins, the Jacks still need 2 more. The Goph's are struggling, but really, not counting that as a win. The only home game is against the #3 team in the country. This is a very important game.

The Pens (or is it 'Guins?) are 4-3, but their 4 wins are against teams with a combined win total of the Jacks (6). They just got whooped on the scoreboard by the team side by side at the top of the MVFC with the Jacks, but YSU had more yards. They had some gaffes on special teams and their QB threw some picks when they were forced to throw when playing from behind.

If there is such a thing as a "trap" game, this is it. Smack dab in between two home games against two top ten teams in the country, at their house, after a long trip to Ohio, on their homecoming. If that doesn't make a guy nervous!

Time to get off the high horse from Saturday and get prepared to go 1-0 this week and this week only. There is no outright conference title coming the Jacks way without this win. Tough task for the coaches this week. Bring your team back down and get prepared for a road game against a conference foe.

Youngstown State

Sorry, but I just can't wait to start this tread. The team staying focused this week is vital. In the past I've kind of grown weary of hearing, "We need to go 1-0 every week." But it has never been more true. It is absolutely the right philosophy. Beating YSU would be a huge, huge victory. It would mean we would likely have to lose each of our last three games to miss the playoffs, which doesn't seem likely at all. Lose Saturday, and we have to beat Southern Illinois, a tall task even at home, or the Goophers, who are better than in recent years.

Looking at their schedule, I get one of those "We SHOULD win" feelings. But that doesn't mean Jack, of course. This is a good team, a good program. They will be ready. We have to be, too. Here's a rundown of their season to date:

At Pittsburgh: L 3-38
    Austin Pea: W 38-21
    At Northeastern: W 38-21
    At Indiana State: W 28-0
    Missouri State: L 17-7
    Western Illinois: W 31-21
    At Southern Illinois: L 27-8
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Re: Prepping for the Penguins

We were thinking the same thing at the same time. Mods - feel free to combine the two YSU threads in some way, if you wish.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Re: Youngstown State

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
        Sorry, but I just can't wait to start this tread. The team staying focused this week is vital. In the past I've kind of grown weary of hearing, "We need to go 1-0 every week." But it has never been more true. It is absolutely the right philosophy. Beating YSU would be a huge, huge victory. It would mean we would likely have to lose each of our last three games to miss the playoffs, which doesn't seem likely at all. Lose Saturday, and we have to beat Southern Illinois, a tall task even at home, or the Goophers, who are better than in recent years.

Looking at their schedule, I get one of those "We SHOULD win" feelings. But that doesn't mean Jack, of course. This is a good team, a good program. They will be ready. He have to be, too. Here's a rundown of their season to date:

In the two trips to the Icehouse. Jacks have been squashed like flies in '79 play-offs and 2007 pre-MVFC swing through the MVFC members of WIU/YSU/UNI. This is a home field advantage that matches in with CAS. Jacks dictate the tempo, and the D plays like the #1 D in the nation, Jacks should survive and pull the win. I do believe that Jacks are winless at Youngstown, time to change that.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
          In the two trips to the Icehouse. Jacks have been squashed like flies in '79 play-offs and 2007 pre-MVFC swing through the MVFC members of WIU/YSU/UNI. This is a home field advantage that matches in with CAS. Jacks dictate the tempo, and the D plays like the #1 D in the nation, Jacks should survive and pull the win. I do believe that Jacks are winless at Youngstown, time to change that.
          The road is definitely the equalizer in many instances. The trip out to CA really seemed to affect the Jacks negatively. D and O-line were really flat. I think we were better at MSU but still far from what we have been at CAS. This team is ready to take the next step and that next step is a dominating win at one of the most storied programs in the history of IAA/FCS.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I was at the 2007 game. After a shaky first quarter, SDSU outplayed YSU the rest of the game and had a chance to win it.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

According to my research (which may be inaccurate), the Jacks have played at Youngstown State a total of 6 times (1942, 1968, 1973, 1975, 1979, 2007), winning 3 times (1968, 1973, 1975). The all-time series is tied at 5 games a piece.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post

So basically they've beaten some pretty bad teams, ( Austin Peay, Northeastern, Indian St, & Western Illinois) and lost to the three good teams. ( Pitt, Miss St, SIU)

Jacks should be able to win this one. YSU has an athletic QB that will need to be contained, and a couple good WR's. Their defense is fairly salty as well and overall are a good team but one that SDSU needs to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrabb1t View Post
                  According to my research (which may be inaccurate), the Jacks have played at Youngstown State a total of 6 times (1942, 1968, 1973, 1975, 1979, 2007), winning 3 times (1968, 1973, 1975). The all-time series is tied at 5 games a piece.
                  Uh, what? I'm not math major, but that doesn't add up. They've played 6 times, but each team has won 5 games???
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                    Uh, what? I'm not math major, but that doesn't add up. They've played 6 times, but each team has won 5 games???
                    We beat them handily in Brookings last year, I mean crushed them. I hope to do the same in Youngstown Saturday. With the win in Brookings I think the series is 4-3 YSU when including the games at YSU noted previously. I'm not sure about other games in Brookings.
                    Last edited by jackmd; 10-26-2009, 01:43 PM.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

He stated the Jacks have played AT Youngstown State 6 times.

Comment

Before 1974 we were 1-2 at home against YSU. If we won 3 out of 6 road games and beat them last year, stay with me now, that means we have 5 wins in 10 games. So, that would mean the series is tied at 5. Great info to have, or maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Before 1974 we were 1-2 at home against YSU. If we won 3 out of 6 road games and beat them last year, stay with me now, that means we have 5 wins in 10 games. So, that would mean the series is tied at 5. Great info to have, or maybe not.
                          See this is why you're the md around here!
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            He stated the Jacks have played AT Youngstown State 6 times.
                            Apparently I lack reading comprehension as well as math skills
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Re: Prepping for the Penguins

According to Gojacks.com the Youngstown State game will be on KDLT television on Saturday.

Television coverage begins at 3 p.m. Central Time (4 p.m. Eastern) from Stambaugh Stadium in Youngstown, Ohio. The game will be broadcast live on Sioux Falls-based KDLT-TV, as well as Comcast SportsNet Chicago.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=204821458

Comment

Working...
                              X