Campus Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campus Construction

Prior to the awesome Hobo Day game, my son took us on a campus tour. I was unaware of the construction project at Ag Hall. It looks like much more than a renovation. What is the plan there?
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Re: Campus Construction

Photos of the Avera Science Building taken on November 6, 2009

West elevation (notice the west side of Shepherd hall in the back).

South elevation (the north end of Admin is on the right side of the photo.

East Elevation (a new building was built on the east end of the science building that has steam plant equipment in it)

Comment

Ground has also been broken on the addition to the student union. The main purpose is to provide more dining space.

The Admin building is undergoing extensive remodeling. The building fire suppression system is being updated, some of the offices are moving around, and a stairwell is being added to the east side of the north wing.

Comment

Don't forget the new dorms going up just east of the Rotunda. They're using an interesting construction technique for those. The walls are coming in as completed concrete sheets with the brick facade and faux granite fascia already in place. Sorry I don't have a picture, but as a result of that technique, the dorms are going up very quickly.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

New dorm photos are under the New Dorm Construction thread of the SDSU News and Comment forum.

Comment

There is contruction evident on the north end of the north wing of Ag Hall. From the outside it looks similar to the Admin Building staircase addition pictured earlier in this thread. Much of the Dairy-Microbiology building is also gutted for massive renovation and addition.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

My friends at the Foundation tell me all of this is only the beginning. SDSU is entering a long period of perpetual construction. Coming soon: The last phase of the Performing Arts Center and a new humanities building and Daschle center located west of the Library on the site of State (Sexauer) Field.

The Department of Journalism and Mass Comm is working to raise money on a major renovation of our television studio facilities. That could happen soon if things fall into place. Then you'll see more campus television and Internet broadcasts. We're also working on achieving "School of Journalism and Mass Communication" status. PM me if you want your name on the studio or the school (i.e. The JimmyJack Media Center and The JimmyJack School of Mass Communication and Journalism). I'm sure we can work something out.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                ... and Daschle center located west of the Library on the site of State (Sexauer) Field.
                Curious, is there a plan to build a track and field facility on campus?
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                  From what I have read on this board, the answer is no.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

The next track we build on campus will have a roof over it.

Comment

BTJ, please elaborate on that.

Comment

BTJ, please elaborate on that.
                        There will be an indoor track in the second phase of the Dykhouse Center.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Thank you both. Wasn't aware of that detail.

Comment

The 2nd phase of the Dykhouse Center will include an full-length, indoor track. This "fieldhouse" type building will also include indoor practice facilities for other outdoor sports at SDSU. Importantly it will include an indoor space for our football team to practice late in the year. If our football program expects to make the playoffs each year they need an adequate place to practice late in the year. Outdoor South Dakota weather does not provide that in November & December. Especially now that the NCAA has moved the FCS (I-AA) national championship game back to January starting next season along with expanding the playoff field to 20 teams (from 16).

I know one facility recently built at Akron is one that has been suggested as a model for what SDSU has in mind. Pics aren't very good here but it is the best I could find:

http://www.gozips.com/SportSelect.db...&ATCLID=319538

Now the question is what is needed more, a new football stadium or this fieldhouse. I know if a public poll was taken it would be heavily in favor of a new football stadium. But think about it...a very strong case could be made for needing the fieldhouse more when you consider the overall impact to SDSU athletics, not just football.

Comment

Thank you for the info. My initial curiosity stemmed from a concern that we might place a track around the field at a renovated Coughlin-Alumni.

I myself would be in no position to input as to what would be needed more, stadium renovation or athletic center expansion. It appears to me that adressing academic and student housing is rightfully a priority. Happily these needs are being addressed. Old Shepard was in need of replacement when I attended.

I did though hear that Coughlin has a limited usage life due to structural concerns.

Comment

Working...
                              X