Best FB in the Dakotas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best FB in the Dakotas

Not sure if someone posted this elsewhere, if so dump the thread or merge it. From Kent Schmidt's CSN West blog:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionne...-in-the?blog=5

South Dakota State never has been part of the DII playoff party in my memory. And the Jackrabbits never will play in the DII playoffs. Just to clarify, they did participate once in the DII playoff prior to my memory in 1979 when the Jackrabbits lost in the first round to Youngstown State.

Boy, how things have changed - especially this year. South Dakota State ranks in the Top 10 in the GPI in a division higher now and sits with a 5-1 overall and 4-0 MVFC league mark. The other three Dakota schools can’t smell the Top 25 as all have records at or under the .500 mark.

South Dakota State appears to have a chance to do something it hasn’t done in 30 years — play in the postseason and possibly earn its second league championship in three years (something it hasn’t done since 1963 before winning the Great West in 2007).

As many of you know, I grew up in the southeastern quarter of North Dakota in a small town named LaMoure. I lived in a rural area that had television coverage from 100 miles away in Fargo, and we also could pick up the TV stations from Aberdeen, S.D., which also was around 90 miles away from my childhood farm.

Living where I did, it was a good area to see sports coverage of all four major Dakota universities. My knowledge base goes back as far as 1981 or 1982. Of the four major universities (University of North Dakota, North Dakota State, University of South Dakota and South Dakota State), all played (at the time) in the now-defunct Division II North Central Conference. Throughout my memory of the NCC, UND, NDSU and USD, all fielded DII playoff teams and teams that went as far as the national title game throughout their DII days.

How do we explain the SDSU turnaround?..................................
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Best FB in the Dakotas

I recall Kent Schmidt from the D2football.com message board. He is a NDSU grad and I am surprised he has given SDSU this much credit for our progress. Kent used to write the columns covering the region that included the NCC conference.

When he was on D2 he kind of looked at SDSU football program as been very secondary to his Bison. He never bad mouthed SDSU that I recall, but he was very careful about being too much Bison.

After his very thoughtful analysis, I am not surprised by his prediction of the outcome of UNI VS SDSU.

I doubt he is trained journalist, but he does have good writing talent. Seems like he was working at Hesston tractor in Kansas when he wrote for D2Football.com. I believe he got his degree in Ag Engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I recall Kent Schmidt from the D2football.com message board. He is a NDSU grad and I am surprised he has given SDSU this much credit for our progress. Kent used to write the columns covering the region that included the NCC conference.

When he was on D2 he kind of looked at SDSU football program as been very secondary to his Bison. He never bad mouthed SDSU that I recall, but he was very careful about being too much Bison.

After his very thoughtful analysis, I am not surprised by his prediction of the outcome of UNI VS SDSU.

I doubt he is trained journalist, but he does have good writing talent. Seems like he was working at Hesston tractor in Kansas when he wrote for D2Football.com. I believe he got his degree in Ag Engineering.
      He now lives in the Cedar Falls area too. BisonKent if on AGS or Bisonville

Comment

Yes I think this is the same person.

Comment

Working...
        X