Pheasant Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pheasant Recipes

I know we had a thread like this before, I don't want to look for it. I have a couple of good ways to prepare pheasant a little differently.

Pheasant and Wild Rice soup (a little labor intensive but worth it)
    Ingredients followed by preparation instructions:

For the roux:

1/2 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons of butter
    1 Cup of flour

For the Veggie mix:

2 Tablespoons of butter
    1 Cup finley chopped celery
    1 Cup of sliced carrots
    1 Cup of finely chopped onion (I don't include onion or green pepper)
    1/3 Cup of finely chopped green bell pepper
    1/3 Cup of finely chopped red/yellow/orange bell peppers
    2 Cups of white shoe peg corn
    2 Cups of sliced mushrooms
    1 Medium jalapeno

For the Soup stock and "meat":

1 Gallon total of chicken broth and pheasant stock (see below)
    1 Tablespoon finely chopped parsely
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon each of black pepper, white pepper, ground nutmeg and cayenne
    1 1/2 lbs of pheasant meat cooked and chopped (We slow cook 2 whole pheasants on the bone in 10 cups of chicken stock overnight and include that amount in the gallon of broth from above)
    3 Cups of cooked wild rice
    1 Cup of heavy whipping cream

To prepare the soup:

For the roux: Heat the butter in a skillet until hot, stir in the flour and mix while cooking over low heat for about 2 minutes until consistency of a roux, do not brown. Set aside for later.

For the Veggie mix: Take the 2 Tablespoons of butter and melt in a large saucepan adding the celery, carrots, onion, and peppers saute unitl onion is tender. Then add the mushrooms, corn and jalapeno. Cook all the veggies until the mushrooms turn a golden brown. Remove veggies from heat.

To bring it all together: Bring broth to a boil in a large stockpot (at least 2 gallon pot), stir in the previously made roux. Simmer while stirring frequently until thickened. Add veggie mixture and 1/4 teaspoon of each seasoning listed above while continuing to simmer. Finally, add pheasant, wild rice, and lastly 1 Cup of heavy whipping cream (do not allow cream to boil) and mix gently. Allow to heat through while stirring occasionally, then enjoy.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Pheasant Recipes

Pheasant burgers (easy and excellent for tailgating):

Pheasant meat, fatty bacon, meat grinder is all that is needed.

I debone some pheasants and grind the meat combining it with fatty bacon (no lean stuff). I mix it about 2/3 pheasant to 1/3 bacon, I just guess I don't weigh or measure. I don't add any other ingrediants your sure could if you wanted to.

Make the combined meat into patties.

When I grill them I just use a little salt and pepper and a piece of cheese, I like pepper jack. Some guys put barbecue sauce on them, thats good to.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Re: Pheasant Recipes

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Pheasant burgers (easy and excellent for tailgating):

Pheasant meat, fatty bacon, meat grinder is all that is needed.

I debone some pheasants and grind the meat combining it with fatty bacon (no lean stuff). I mix it about 2/3 pheasant to 1/3 bacon, I just guess I don't weigh or measure. I don't add any other ingrediants your sure could if you wanted to.

Make the combined meat into patties.

When I grill them I just use a little salt and pepper and a piece of cheese, I like pepper jack. Some guys put barbecue sauce on them, thats good to.
      I had these for the first time at the Yankton tailgate area, was probably you that gave it to me. Was awesome, and I bought a meat grinder of my own last year so I could make them. Great way to use up pheasant during the season.

Comment

Working...
      X