A mighty fine Cabernet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mighty fine Cabernet

A couple weeks ago I am in Salt Lake City on a business trip. At dinner one evening I am ordering wine for the group. Now I am not a wine connoisseur, but I know a good wine from a bad one. I prefer Cabernets and I am debating between a couple that I am more familiar with. Rather than choose myself I ask for my waitress recommendation. She, suggests a J. Lohr cabernet so I go with it figuring she will be blamed if it isn't that great. Well let me tell you it was as good a Cabernet as I have ever enjoyed.
    After dinner I got on my computer and checked out J. Lohr Wineries. Well, Jerry Lohr is the founder, he grew up on a farm in South Dakota and is a graduate of SDSU, I believe in 1958. Now he is probably well known to you SDSU grads and alumni but this was news to me.
    Anyway, I would definately recommend any of J.Lohr wines so far they have proven to be splendid and they are award winning.
    I love hearing stories about SD farm boys doing well. Especially since I was one, juries still out on doing well.
    Last edited by boxerboy; 10-22-2009, 12:11 PM.

Re: A mighty fine Cabernet

I've had many cabernets (of modest expense--I'm by no means a wine connnoisseur or even a wine-snob-wannabe) but the J.Lohr is definitely among the better reasonably-priced cabernet sauvignons out there on the market. It's full-bodied and very flavorful, but doesn't have the kind of bitter/sour/harsh edge to it that some "finer" red wines have, IMHO.

And, Jerry Lohr is actually one of the bigger boosters of SDSU generally and SDSU athletics specifically . . . he's heavily involved in fundraising for the university.

And he makes pretty darn good, affordable wines.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You may not be a wine snob, (fortunately) but you nailed it. Your description was right on the mark. Plus the fact that his wines are not overly priced. Might have to order some on line.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
        A couple weeks ago I am in Salt Lake City on a business trip. At dinner one evening I am ordering wine for the group. Now I am not a wine connoisseur, but I know a good wine from a bad one. I prefer Cabernets and I am debating between a couple that I am more familiar with. Rather than choose myself I ask for my waitress recommendation. She, suggests a J. Lohr cabernet so I go with it figuring she will be blamed if it isn't that great. Well let me tell you it was as good a Cabernet as I have ever enjoyed.
        After dinner I got on my computer and checked out J. Lohr Wineries. Well, Jerry Lohr is the founder, he grew up on a farm in South Dakota and is a graduate of SDSU, I believe in 1958. Now he is probably well known to you SDSU grads and alumni but this was news to me.
        Anyway, I would definately recommend any of J.Lohr wines so far they have proven to be splendid and they are award winning.
        I love hearing stories about SD farm boys doing well. Especially since I was one, a farm boy, juries still out on doing well.
        Jerry Lohr, originally from Raymond, SD, is a great Jackrabbit supporter. He just hosted myself and 300 plus Jackrabbit fans at his winery before the Cal-Poly game.

We arrived at 10 am and immediately had a wine glass with unlimited access to 8 different J. Lohr wines. Then, he and his employees took individual groups of about 20-30 people on tours of the whole operation from the grapes to the barrel room. Then, he served us a dinner consisting of some the best beef briscut and smoked turkey I've ever had. This was followed by a little rally in support of SDSU and specifically the Jackrabbit guarantee (which wouldn't exist if not for support from Jerry).

I ordered 10 bottles of J. Lohr wine shipped back to 2 separate addresses in SD. They are in my "wine room" right now. I can't wait to serve them over the holiday.

So, support SDSU and enjoy great wine by trying J. Lohr's products. More importantly, talk to someone about funding a Jackrabbit guarantee scholarship.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Nothing like good conversation over a glass of good wine. Thanks for the post, MD

Comment

You can get J. Lohr cab at Sam's Clubs across the country (well, in Nebraska and Texas, from personal experience) at the best price I've found. You can get it a Wal-Mart for just a bit more, but still less than most places.
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Working...
            X