Raasch's Take on Jacks Fans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raasch's Take on Jacks Fans.

Chuck Raasch, National columnist for Gannett News (and SDSU grad)has an excellent article in the Argus today.
    http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...1052/OPINION01

Re: Raasch's Take on Jacks Fans.

He couldn't be more right about whiny Bison fans or quiet Jack fans. Well done, Chuck!
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Did not know Raasch was an SDSU alum.

Comment

A very good take on things.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          Both Chuck and his wife Sandy (nee Johnson) are SDSU journalism grads and have done very well. Sandy was the chief of the Washington bureau for the Associated Press for a number of years, and Chuck has done very well at Gannett. They come back and visit quite often.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            Both Chuck and his wife Sandy (nee Johnson) are SDSU journalism grads and have done very well. Sandy was the chief of the Washington bureau for the Associated Press for a number of years, and Chuck has done very well at Gannett. They come back and visit quite often.
            Chuck hails from Castlewood, SD and got his start in the newspaper business at a young age by working at my Grandfather's Newspaper (Hamlin County Republican).

Comment

Chuck is my cousin and I knew your grandfather well. Which one of Jack's kids do you belong to?
              Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              Chuck hails from Castlewood, SD and got his start in the newspaper business at a young age by working at my Grandfather's Newspaper (Hamlin County Republican).

Comment

On a brisk fall night, swells of modest appreciation cascaded from the packed home side of Coughlin-Alumni.
                Wow, talk about hitting the nail square on the head.

I admit to being in awe of the phrase "swells of modest appreciation." Pretty much tells the entire story right there.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Chuck's exactly right.

One thing that could be done, it seems to me, would be to start creating some new traditions and "teaching" the fans about them. For example, we stand and clap to our fight song. At Iowa, there are some points in one of the fight songs where the crowd chants "Fight, Fight, Fight" and "Go Hawks." We stand there like we're politely clapping at a polo match. Isn't there a "Go State" or "Go Jacks" something in there we could all be saying?

People have caught on to some of these kinds of things. The "whooo" on the first down song is one example. They're trying to get us to "Jump Around" between the third and fourth quarter like Wisconsin and other places do, but without somebody leading, nobody knows what to do.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Wow, talk about hitting the nail square on the head.

I admit to being in awe of the phrase "swells of modest appreciation." Pretty much tells the entire story right there.
                    Yep, great line, followed by the old farmer's story.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                      Yep, great line, followed by the old farmer's story.
                      Almost told her.....I thought the article was very good and very accurate. I stand on the sideline and pace, clap, scream and hollar. My wife and several of her friends think I'm not quite right. I can't sit on that west side and listen to people complain when someone stands up to cheer on the defense on 3rd and long. Don't even get me started on the deterioration of the atmosphere at Frost....
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Oh how we miss the cowbells. They were so easy for fans to ring. Didn't even have to stand up...

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                          Oh how we miss the cowbells. They were so easy for fans to ring. Didn't even have to stand up...
                          I think that the cowbells were too easy. Fans became used to not having to stand up and cheer. It may just take some time for people to get into the habit of standing up. I, for one, will continue to stand on important plays. All the folks that tell me to sit down will at some point learn how useless their yelling at me is and join in.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            I think that the cowbells were too easy. Fans became used to not having to stand up and cheer. It may just take some time for people to get into the habit of standing up. I, for one, will continue to stand on important plays. All the folks that tell me to sit down will at some point learn how useless their yelling at me is and join in.
                            The way to take care of that is to preempt it by standing up, turning around, lift your arms in a visual cue, and shout at the people behind you "STAND UP! LET'S GO, BIG PLAY!!!!"

Shout at them before they shout at you, kind of thing. You have to pick your spots, though. If you do that for every play, people will think you are in fact crazy.

You can sit and yell for the other, non-big plays.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              Some would say Chuck was graduated with the best class in recent memory, 1976.

JackJD, BS Journalism, 1976

Comment

Working...
                              X