FB Budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FB Budget

Wow! Terry's story/blog on the fb budget is mind-boggling. Anyone else as stunned as I am? With attendance numbers in the high middle for the league...it must boil down to fundraising? Nonetheless....great stories by Terry!

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...rgusleader.com

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...0202/910220311

Re: FB Budget

Originally posted by jaysalum1 View Post
    Wow! Terry's story/blog on the fb budget is mind-boggling. Anyone else as stunned as I am? With attendance numbers in the high middle for the league...it must boil down to fundraising? Nonetheless....great stories by Terry!

Yeah we are still waiting on your check. Is it in the mail? Seriously we can all step up here and its going in that direction. In all due respects to TV, he is informing us, but not surprising news to me but it seems like we are counting dead bodies here. These numbers are from the past and not about the present or the future.

Comment

I don't believe revenue from attendance to football games automatically goes into the football budget. Not surprising news in the Argus. SDSU was a little behind in D2 before we made the jump, it's going to take time to get at least to the middle of the pack level.

Comment

We also have to remember SDSU has between 2-5 more sports in their athletic dept. than the rest of the schools, so money has to be shifted to other sports that other schools don't have.

Comment

It is a good reminder to all of us that our coaching staffs (as this probably applies to most/all of our sports) are doing more work for less pay than everyone else, or pretty much everyone else, in our conferences.

Comment

I enjoy reading ideas people come up with for raising money.

The truth is that it really does need to start with the Jackrabbit Club. Get those consistent donors who can give $100 - $1,000 plus annually and build from there. Those are your loyal fans who support multiple programs usually and come to the games.

I am a believer that one can be priced out of attending games at SDSU. I don't know what ticket prices are now, but I would venture to guess for the Brookings marketplace they are about right even though the level of competition is higher. If single game reserved seats cost $20/seat/game (for example, they were $10 a seat when I was in the ticket office six years ago) then you'd have a family of four picking one game a year to attend and that would be it. That's not what is ideal for any program. The goal is to get consistent attendance over the course of the season. If you can get that same family of four to attend two games at $12/ticket then you're money ahead because you know they're spending money both games at concessions. Get them there twice and they probably come back a third time as well.

I'm not a fan of "gimicky" "donations" to raise money for the athletic department. Charge $1 for face tatoos for kids? Those are good will give aways. "Hey mom, remember that tatoo I got at the game, can we go back and get another one this week". Donation jars at the entrances? This isn't the salvation army.

It comes down to a good solid base of Jackrabbit Club members growing over time. I don't know how it's run now, but before the volunteers made it happen recruiting new members, bringing people to games, etc. I know we gave out countless comp tickets so people could experience SDSU athletics with JRC volunteers in order to bring them on board.

End of my 2 cents.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I was up in the HPER yesterday and there was a chart of the Jackrabbit club growth on one of the doors since August. When the chart started there was in the neighborhood of 860 donors that number has recently passed the 1000 donor mark. I know Fred was overall interested in impressing the big money donors. But I like Justin's approach anyone can be a donor, it doesn't matter how much money you have. I also like that there is a staff challenge to see how many new donors you can get. Ritchie Price has gotten eight new donors, hows that for the baseball fans in here.

Comment

With attendance numbers in the high middle for the league...it must boil down to fundraising?
                Well, remember also that SDSU doesn't take in as much per visitor as NDSU, UNI, etc. No club suites, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
                  I know Fred was overall interested in impressing the big money donors. But I like Justin's approach anyone can be a donor, it doesn't matter how much money you have. I also like that there is a staff challenge to see how many new donors you can get. Ritchie Price has gotten eight new donors, hows that for the baseball fans in here.
                  Thats not true about Dr Oien and not caring nor interested in small donors. I started a perpetual scholarship with 100 dollars in 1992 and have be contributing regularily since. Fred never forgot to thank me. If I could get 5 dollars for every thank I received since, I would have enough to endow another scholarship.

So your preception is not correct. Justin Sell comes here without having to worry about getting SDSU through the transition period, so no doubt he will do things differently, but that does not make Dr Oien the goat that you imply.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Thats not true about Dr Oien and not caring nor interested in small donors. I started a perpetual scholarship with 100 dollars in 1992 and have be contributing regularily since. Fred never forgot to thank me. If I could get 5 dollars for every thank I received since, I would have enough to endow another scholarship.

So your preception is not correct. Justin Sell comes here without having to worry about getting SDSU through the transition period, so no doubt he will do things differently, but that does not make Dr Oien the goat that you imply.
                    Amen to that Nidaros! I like Justin Sell, think he is the right person to move us ahead, and support him wholeheartedly, but it irks me to see these kind of references. Sell is just as interested in the "big money donors" as was Fred, I can assure you, but he just doesn't know them yet and hasn't established the same link with them as Fred Oien had. He will get that done.

But Fred Oien had just as many ideas over the course of his tenure, and he preached constantly that the only way to go was to build the endowments up, and expand the network of donors, big or small. A lot of what has developed, including Dykhouse Center, and Sanford's interest, and the Wellness Center, and the addition to Frost for the teams, came through Fred Oien's leadership and cultivation of donors at all levels.

Comment

That is correct, the JRC has surpassed 1000 members. J. Sell changed the focus of one of the assistant AD's in developement from large donors to the JRC. It seems to be paying off. As for Ritchie topping the list of new members recruited.....this baseball fan is excited.
                      Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
                      I was up in the HPER yesterday and there was a chart of the Jackrabbit club growth on one of the doors since August. When the chart started there was in the neighborhood of 860 donors that number has recently passed the 1000 donor mark. I know Fred was overall interested in impressing the big money donors. But I like Justin's approach anyone can be a donor, it doesn't matter how much money you have. I also like that there is a staff challenge to see how many new donors you can get. Ritchie Price has gotten eight new donors, hows that for the baseball fans in here.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post

I am a believer that one can be priced out of attending games at SDSU. I don't know what ticket prices are now, but I would venture to guess for the Brookings marketplace they are about right even though the level of competition is higher. If single game reserved seats cost $20/seat/game (for example, they were $10 a seat when I was in the ticket office six years ago) then you'd have a family of four picking one game a year to attend and that would be it. That's not what is ideal for any program.

End of my 2 cents.
                        The price of a single game reserved seat is $20 for the NDSU, UNI, and SIU games. I think they were cheaper, maybe $18 for GSU and other home games.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                        X