Where is the love for the ladies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the love for the ladies?

With the excitement of the threepeat over the Bison, it was easy to miss the soccer team going 2-0 this weekend and moving back into a tie for first in the conference. Two hard fought games, especially against IUPUI, winner of 12 in a row coming into the game. We lost our goalie due to a red card in the 65th minute but were able to persevere and score the winning goal with 10 players. Great job ladies, keep that focus coming into the conference tournament!!!

Re: Where is the love for the ladies?

Thanks for starting the thread...the ladies do need the love. For a young team, after losing a ton of seniors last year, to be doing what this team is doing is amazing! Part of the problem is that they were on the road, while all the focus was on the weekend with two home volleyball matches and the Dakota Marker game. So their wins kind of got lost in the shuffle. Hope that others reading this thread will recognize how great it was that we beat IUPUI on the road, breaking their 12-match win string!

Comment

Just got back from the Sioux Empire Staters luncheon and met coach Wedemeyer. I was personally and I think everyone in attendance was impressed. We are lucky to have him at SDSU. He built a program from nothing in less than 8 months back in 2000 and then a couple of years later elevated that fledgling program to a competitive NCAA Division I program.

I knew about last years historic season which included a Summit League championship, NCAA tournament birth, and first win EVER for any Midcontinent/Summit League team in women's soccer.

But what I didn't realize is that this years very young team in rounding quickly into form and could be a force if they can get a couple more wins and make the conference tournament field. Did I mention that SDSU is hosting this years tournament?
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Anyone in town for Hobo Day should take in their two matches this weekend. Friday night UMKC comes to the Fishback Soccer Park and Sunday Southern Utah comes to town. This weekend the Jacks could lock up a playoff spot with a pair of wins.

Directions to the soccer park:
        From Interstate 29 take the Brookings exit and go west to the 2
        nd stop light by Perkins turn left on 22nd Avenue to go south. Go south for a couple of miles until you reach 20th street (you will pass the Hy-Vee store and the golf course) and on 20th

street turn right and go west. The Fishback Soccer Park is about a mile and on the south side of 20
        th street south.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
          With the excitement of the threepeat over the Bison, it was easy to miss the soccer team going 2-0 this weekend and moving back into a tie for first in the conference. Two hard fought games, especially against IUPUI, winner of 12 in a row coming into the game. We lost our goalie due to a red card in the 65th minute but were able to persevere and score the winning goal with 10 players. Great job ladies, keep that focus coming into the conference tournament!!!
          Small correction: NDSU and IUPUI are in a tie for first at 4-1. You guys are a half game back at 4-2. But thanks for knocking off IUPUI; we couldn't manage it. The NDSU/SDSU game on Halloween could have major tourney seeding implications.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
            Small correction: NDSU and IUPUI are in a tie for first at 4-1. You guys are a half game back at 4-2. But thanks for knocking off IUPUI; we couldn't manage it. The NDSU/SDSU game on Halloween could have major tourney seeding implications.
            Actually, it is my understanding that the standings are based on points and all four have 12 points, 3 for victories and 1 for ties. We have played one more match so in traditional standings you are correct. I am curious how that is handled in cancelled games, since the NDSU-Centenary match was rained out. If NDSU has the better record at the end, for example 6-2-0 and IUPUI would happen to be 6-2-1, IUPUI would have one more point but aruguably NDSU would have the better record. Who would be awarded the number 1 seed in the tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
              Actually, it is my understanding that the standings are based on points and all four have 12 points, 3 for victories and 1 for ties. We have played one more match so in traditional standings you are correct. I am curious how that is handled in cancelled games, since the NDSU-Centenary match was rained out. If NDSU has the better record at the end, for example 6-2-0 and IUPUI would happen to be 6-2-1, IUPUI would have one more point but aruguably NDSU would have the better record. Who would be awarded the number 1 seed in the tournament?
              You might be right. I've always wanted the seeding and tie-breaking info for all the Summit tourney sports, but I don't believe it's available online(or at least I've never found it). If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful(I keep up some of the standings lists on Bisonville).

Comment

Reminder that soccer is at home tonight and the 2008 team will recieve their Summit League Championship rings!

Comment

Some of you know the playoff selection rules better than me, so I'll ask you this question. I think the Bison clinched a berth today, but I'm not 100% sure. Is it 4 points for a win, 2 points for a tie, and 0 points for a loss? And is the first tie-breaker head-to-head or goal differential?

By my math, this is the current points standings with possible points in parenthesis:

NDSU 24(32)
                  SDSU 24(28)
                  IUPUI 20(28)
                  Oak 18(26)
                  ORU 12(24)
                  IPFW 12(20)
                  WIU 9(21)
                  Cent 3(11)
                  SUU 3(7)
                  UMKC 2(10)

While 5th place ORU can tie NDSU's current 24 points, NDSU won the regular season meeting. If the Centenary game is not made up and NDSU gets 2 points for the "tie", then the head-to-head doesn't even matter.

As I'm writing this, your ladies are a couple minutes from shutting out SUU. With that win, I think you guys have clinched a spot as well since you also beat ORU earlier in the season.
                  Last edited by Hammersmith; 10-25-2009, 02:09 PM. Reason: updated numbers

Comment

Inferring from last year's points total as reported in the Summit Media guide:

3pts for a win, 1 pt for a tie.

SDSU @ 7-1-0 had 21 points,
                    IPFW @ 0-7-1 had 1 point.

And the first tiebreaker is head to head:

SUU had 6 goals, and was a tournament participant.
                    WIU had 13 goals and was not.

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf5/6...DB_OEM_ID=3900

Must say, nice improvement for the Bison YOY, while the Jacks have certainly not fallen off much for graduating 8 senior starters!

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      Inferring from last year's points total as reported in the Summit Media guide:

3pts for a win, 1 pt for a tie.

SDSU @ 7-1-0 had 21 points,
                      IPFW @ 0-7-1 had 1 point.

And the first tiebreaker is head to head:

SUU had 6 goals, and was a tournament participant.
                      WIU had 13 goals and was not.

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf5/6...DB_OEM_ID=3900

Must say, nice improvement for the Bison YOY, while the Jacks have certainly not fallen off much for graduating 8 senior starters!
                      Okay, it looks like my numbers were wrong, but the conclusions weren't. Here are the corrected numbers:

NDSU 18(24)
                      SDSU 18(21)
                      IUPUI 15(21)
                      Oak 13(19)
                      ORU 9(18)
                      IPFW 9(15)
                      WIU 7(16)
                      Cent 4(10)
                      SUU 4(10)
                      UMKC 3(9)

And NDSU could've supported an orthopedics ward by ourselves last year. We were so depleted that our players were wearing out late in the games due to inadequate substitutions. We're getting back to where we want to be.

Thanks for the info zoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                        NDSU could've supported an orthopedics ward by ourselves last year.
                        That game is hard on people.

We sat just down and to the left of Nicky Lograsso (the Jacks' goalie last year, and for the previous two as well, IIRC) at a basketball game shortly after the season was over and I really felt bad for her--she looked like she had all the mobility of a turtle, getting up to the bleachers--we're talking wincing in pain and having to almost crawl up to her seat.

Comment

If the Jacks defeat NDSU next week end, we are guaranteed at least a tie for the conference champinship and will get the first place seed since we defeated IUPUI and would have defeated NDSU. If we lose, we could drop to at worst a tie for third depending on the outcome of the IUPUI and Oakland game but would still be in the playoffs.

The NDSU Schedule shows the Centenary-NDSU game being made up in Kansas City on Nov. 2.

Comment

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=204820984

Once again the final game of the conference season decides the conference championship.

Comment

I'll be in Youngstown Saturday, but will be pulling hard for Lang's group to derail the Bizon!!! It is amazing how far and how fast this young team has progressed! Regardless of how this season ends, things are looking good for the future for soccer at SDSU. Go get 'em Jacks!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X