Bison Leftovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bison Leftovers?

I hope Terry did not create the headline to his article as I really think it's a put down to SDSU. SDSU had a serious interest in these players and went out and got them. It just continues to play into that big brother/little brother perception that the media continues to play on. Maybe I'm in minority, but I was very disapointed in this caption and just feel it did not appropriately capture reality. These players who got some interest from NDSU simply decided to go to SDSU.

Re: Bison Leftovers?

I agree that I did not like the headline.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Completely agree. The headline is misleading and I too am tired of always being compared to NDSU as the "little engine who could".

I'm also tire of people putting CAS down. Sure the bleachers are old but there not THAT bad. This is a football game, not a circus, not a ballet.

And what's wrong with playing on natural grass. Many big time colleges and pro football teams still play on grass. In fact how many outdoor pro teams play on field turf?

SDSU is currently are on the rise, NDSU is currently on a decline. We have proven we can not only compete but are better in a variety of ways. We should at least be talked about on equal terms, we're not DII anymore and this isn't 1995.

If I was a football recruit I would rather play at CAS on 40 degree night under the lights than inside some convention center on carpet.

Comment

Sat in the east bleachers, only second game I've seen in the last 20 years. The bleachers are in very rough shape. Great game, great atmosphere, but was REALLY disappointed in that student section after halftime. It was a 21-13 fight for the marker at that point and it looked like half of them left.

Comment

Reporters don't write the headlines. Whoever was working the night desk laying out the sports section in Sioux Falls wrote it.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I dont see the Leftover reference as a put down at all. I think Terry was trying to mention the details that he could not work in the other articles on Sunday.

I do think though that Terry is being somewhat plageric in copying the Fargo Forum's article about Domino and Minnett not being recruited by the Bison and were picked up with SDSU which is not really a story to begin with for this reason.

I think two different coaches are going to see their recruiting needs differently and go for different people. Bohl did not go after Minnett and Domino and has paid a price in terms of wins and losses in the NDSU-SDSU series and to me that is the end of the story. It was second guessing by the Fargo Forum writer. How could Bohl have seen the outcome of Saturdays game three years back? He could not. No doubt Stig and Bohl saw things completely different three years ago in terms of personnel that they then needed for recruits. Stig made Minnett an offer and should have since Minnett comes from a Minnesota boarder town minutes from Brookings. I can see where there should have been more competition for Domino, but that did not apparently happen. Again, I am thankful that Stig made the offers to Domino and Minnett. He rolled the dice and hit snake eyes.

Its time to move... on(Opps should not be an elipsis user like JoeBoo)
            Last edited by Nidaros; 10-19-2009, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I do think though that Terry is being somewhat plageric in copying the Fargo Forum's article about Domino and Minnett not being recruited by the Bison and were picked up with SDSU which is not really a story to begin with for this reason.
              Well maybe you did not see the post game press conference. During the Domino and Minnette interview the press asked about being snubbed by NDSU in the recruiting process. You could tell by the body language that Minnette did not appreciate the questions. They had just won a convincing game against their rival and the press is asking about being recruited by NDSU. It was strange but someone had a story line they wanted to write, so those were the questions they asked. I can't remember exactly but I think Terry also asked a recruiting question. I think the Forum reporters and the Argus Leader got together prior to the press conference and agreed that the recruiting or non-recruiting of these players by NDSU was a good storyline.

TOB was the first player to be at the press conference, but he was by himself and answered some of the same questions. Then he left and Domino and Minnette took questions.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                Completely agree. The headline is misleading and I too am tired of always being compared to NDSU as the "little engine who could".

I'm also tire of people putting CAS down. Sure the bleachers are old but there not THAT bad. This is a football game, not a circus, not a ballet.

And what's wrong with playing on natural grass. Many big time colleges and pro football teams still play on grass. In fact how many outdoor pro teams play on field turf?

SDSU is currently are on the rise, NDSU is currently on a decline. We have proven we can not only compete but are better in a variety of ways. We should at least be talked about on equal terms, we're not DII anymore and this isn't 1995.

If I was a football recruit I would rather play at CAS on 40 degree night under the lights than inside some convention center on carpet.
                I'm not going to lie to you, they are not that good either. However, the bleachers didn't win us the game. A horse of a tailback and those big uglies up front coupled with some absolutely devastating physical play on defense had the Bison wishing the rules allowed the clock to run continuously so they could hurry home to Fargo.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                  Well maybe you did not see the post game press conference. During the Domino and Minnette interview the press asked about being snubbed by NDSU in the recruiting process. You could tell by the body language that Minnette did not appreciate the questions. They had just won a convincing game against their rival and the press is asking about being recruited by NDSU. It was strange but someone had a story line they wanted to write, so those were the questions they asked. I can't remember exactly but I think Terry also asked a recruiting question. I think the Forum reporters and the Argus Leader got together prior to the press conference and agreed that the recruiting or non-recruiting of these players by NDSU was a good storyline.

TOB was the first player to be at the press conference, but he was by himself and answered some of the same questions. Then he left and Domino and Minnette took questions.
                  No I did not see the press conference, but I think we can agree that these questions are "dump Bohl" questions that orginated in Fargo. Very tasty red meat for Bison fans.
                  I thought most bovine species including buffalo were not carnivious but rather vegatarian in eating habits, except for those in Fargo. I guess this is what you got to to if you work in the sports department in Fargo. I agree about storyline comment between the Argus and Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I dont see the Leftover reference as a put down at all. I think Terry was trying to mention the details that he could not work in the other articles on Sunday.

I think two different coaches are going to see their recruiting needs differently and go for different people. Bohl did not go after Minnett and Domino and has paid a price in terms of wins and losses in the NDSU-SDSU series and to me that is the end of the story. It was second guessing by the Fargo Forum writer. How could Bohl have seen the outcome of Saturdays game three years back? He could not. No doubt Stig and Bohl saw things completely different three years ago in terms of personnel that they then needed for recruits. Stig made Minnett an offer and should have since Minnett comes from a Minnesota boarder town minutes from Brookings. I can see where there should have been more competition for Domino, but that did not apparently happen. Again, I am thankful that Stig made the offers to Domino and Minnett. He rolled the dice and hit snake eyes.

Its time to move... on(Opps should not be an elipsis user like JoeBoo)
                    I must have some sort of a reputation if I'm getting made fun of when I haven't even made a comment about the situation.....

Guys the public (papers/message boards) like making these arguments when the programs are down.... hey why didn't you recruit this kid, or why didn't you recruit this kid.... especially when he is from your backyard or from a nuetral recruiting area. Its like when Indiana let numerous Mr. Basketball's of Indiana go to other universities (6 in a row)..... I remember a lot of USD fans where upset that they let Josh Ranek out of there backyard. (after his brother had gone to USD) Its one of those questions nobody likes but is valid. Is Coach Bohl not recruiting the right kid? Is he not getting the best out of his players....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      I must have some sort of a reputation if I'm getting made fun of when I haven't even made a comment about the situation.....
                      Well your over use of elipsis is very unique, amd how can one forget that...sooner or later your comments would be forthcoming... since you are in conact with many people in the know....... Naw I just like to pick on you and Frank Klousek.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        I remember a lot of USD fans where upset that they let Josh Ranek out of there backyard. (after his brother had gone to USD) ....
                        How many brothers did Josh Ranek have? His one brother Jesse, played football at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          How many brothers did Josh Ranek have? His one brother Jesse, played football at SDSU.
                          He had 2 brothers and 1 sister. Jesse is the oldest, he went to DWU then a JuCo and then quit and then went to SDSU with Josh. his other brother Matt went to USD, was talk of him playing football there but he broke his leg his senior year and decided against it. Josh was the youngest of the boys.

Comment

The Bison took 2 state of Minnesota recruits, that played very near Brookings, this past year. They were both O-lineman. Jeff Jerve- Montevideo. Gimmestad- Marshall. I believe the Jacks were looking at them. And we all know how the offensive line will be after this season.

Comment

Originally posted by ausbesticide View Post
                              And we all know how the offensive line will be after this season.
                              What do we all know...they will be younger? They will definately not have the experience of the current line next year, but I'm curious to see what our your kids can do. Our staff is very high on the freshman O-Linemen (Parker, Witzmann, and Kage to name a few) we have redshirting in the program right now, so I think we did all right with who we recruited last year. It has been noted many times this fall about how that group is very impressive and maybe the best group of athletes we have seen at that position here at SDSU as freshman.

I have no doubt we were looking at the players from Mashall and Montevideo, but I'm becoming more and more of a believer in Stig's and the staffs ability to identify and recruit the talent that will make SDSU successful. Between us and NDSU, the proof is on the field.
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                              X