Ndsu president chapman resigns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ndsu president chapman resigns.

I am not sure where to start this thread, but it is of importance to this board.

Being a regular listener to Fargo Radio KFGO, the big news today was an email sent out from the President's office to students and faculty, that President Joe Chapman will resign as President of NDSU affective Jan 2, 2010.
    There have been much publicity about some of the problems relating to the cost over run of a Presidents home that was being built with NDSU Foundation money. The home's current estimated costs to complete will be in excess of 2 million dollars. One million dollars was approved by the State Board of Education. Also Mrs Chapan has been on the foundation payroll for an annual salary of $50,000, with her job description of being an Ambassador for NDSU. Lastly there were complaints about President Chapman's trip to Washington DC for the inagural of President Obama. The trip cost 22,000 dollars and not sure of all the details. None the less the Fargo Forum will be loaded with news tomorrow.

President Chapman was to appear before the equivalent of the Board of Regents on Friday to explain some of these issues and questions raised. I thought President Chapman was a very dynamic leader and had done a great deal for NDSU, but apparently he felt he could no longer lead with all these clouds over his head.

Re: Ndsu president chapman resigns.

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I am not sure where to start this thread, but it is of importance to this board.

Being a regular listener to Fargo Radio KFGO, the big news today was an email sent out from the President's office to students and faculty, that President Joe Chapman will resign as President of NDSU affective Jan 2, 2010.
    There have been much publicity about some of the problems relating to the cost over run of a Presidents home that was being built with NDSU Foundation money. The home's current estimated costs to complete will be in excess of 2 million dollars. One million dollars was approved by the State Board of Education. Also Mrs Chapan has been on the foundation payroll for an annual salary of $50,000, with her job description of being an Ambassador for NDSU. Lastly there were complaints about President Chapman's trip to Washington DC for the inagural of President Obama. The trip cost 22,000 dollars and not sure of all the details. None the less the Fargo Forum will be loaded with news tomorrow.

President Chapman was to appear before the equivalent of the Board of Regents on Friday to explain some of these issues and questions raised. I thought President Chapman was a very dynamic leader and had done a great deal for NDSU, but apparently he felt he could no longer lead with all these clouds over his head.
    bad deal. but why are you guys so into NDSU?

Comment

Originally posted by tradition View Post
      Because I spend a great deal of time in North Dakota. Short answer to long story, plus I see a bit of parellel to our president and the Argus Leader in SF.

Comment

Whoa, tradition. Today you seem bent on establishing yourself as a jerk. Is there a problem?

Who is "so into NDSU"? I appreciate Nidaros's reporting of the story. I had not heard about the resignation until I decided to check SDSUFans.com.

Pres. Chapman's resignation is news. I think SDSU fans have a favorable impression of Chapman. It has appeared to us he's done a good job at NDSU and NDSU has benefitted from his leadership.

Keep in mind, tradition, at one time there was Dakota Territory. SDSU was started in 1881. A few years later the territory was split into North and South Dakota. NDSU was started in 1890, I believe. While the history is a little sketchy, it appears the early SDSU had a little hand in the formation of NDSU. To this day, the two schools share many traditions -- thank goodness you're not one of them.

Mind your manners.

Comment

Originally posted by tradition View Post
          Have a look at the thread section. Seems to say MVFC. Last I looked NDSU was in that.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

I just hope you aren't listening to Joel Heitkamp, he is a UND grad and has wanted Chapman gone for sometime.

It is sad to see Chapman leave this way, he basically faced a trial by media, and it was getting to the point where he just couldn't lead effectively anymore due to all the distractions. His NDSU first style created some enemies, but it was the only way to move NDSU forward.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
              I just hope you aren't listening to Joel Heitkamp, he is a UND grad and has wanted Chapman gone for sometime.

It is sad to see Chapman leave this way, he basically faced a trial by media, and it was getting to the point where he just couldn't lead effectively anymore due to all the distractions. His NDSU first style created some enemies, but it was the only way to move NDSU forward.
              I am into Joel Heitkamp, who by the way has been part of refereeing crews at CAS and has from time to time mentioned that Coughlin has in his opinion the best atomsphere to watch a football game. Its a great place so says Joel, because its outdooors. Also he has commented that SDSU has a great marching band. Normally on political issues I am in agreement with Joel, but on this one I think he has been hard on President Chapman.

Chapman forced UND through the State Board of Higher Education to back off on allowing UND to offer some of their courses in Fargo a few years back and this is what made him an enemy among UND people. If I recall correctly UND medical school was trying to work with the hospitals in Fargo and I believe UND was wanting offer to some pharmacy courses, too, but it was worked out to NDSU favor. Chapman was the winner and a hero that day in my opinion.

Also he did not come to the aid of UND in preserving the logo, and I suspect that did not help his job security either. None the less Chapman had done a great deal for NDSU.

Personally, I too feel its a raw deal involving politics, but it I felt it was of news interest to readers on this board.

The three issues I mentioned are very familiar to FargoBison, as I doubt he is not a reader of the Fargo Forum and nor is he not watching local television.

BTW the story broke during the Mike McFeely Show. Mike went from the Fargo Forum Sports to being a radio guy and he is moderate in his political view, but he got his share of wrath for this story. One caller accused McFeely and Hietkamp of being hillbilies from Alexandria Mn and Hankinson ND, who felt good about bring down President Chapman. I sense this departure of President Chapman will be news for awhile at least in Fargo.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 10-15-2009, 05:46 AM.

Comment

By most measures Chapman was very successful. In addition to D1 athletics, NDSU is setting enrollment and fundraising records. There are new programs and a huge increase in graduate student enrollment and research funding. Seems like a pretty successful tenure to me.

Raw deal? I don't know. There are some management issues that would be a big deal anywhere. His wife is on the payroll with the NDSU Foundation for $50,000 as an "ambassador." Really? Those funds wouldn't be better used for scholarships? After all, Chapman was making more than $400,000. The President's new house is 100 percent over budget (board of education approved $900k, costs now at $2 million... for a house.) He has a $260,000 annual discretionary fund with the foundation that hasn't been carefully audited. Wow.

So maybe it's time for new leadership. I think 11 years is probably enough for any university president. But you can't take the guy's accomplishments away from him. It was a very successful tenure as president.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  By most measures Chapman was very successful. In addition to D1 athletics, NDSU is setting enrollment and fundraising records. There are new programs and a huge increase in graduate student enrollment and research funding. Seems like a pretty successful tenure to me.

Raw deal? I don't know. There are some management issues that would be a big deal anywhere. His wife is on the payroll with the NDSU Foundation for $50,000 as an "ambassador." Really? Those funds wouldn't be better used for scholarships? After all, Chapman was making more than $400,000. The President's new house is 100 percent over budget (board of education approved $900k, costs now at $2 million... for a house.) He has a $260,000 annual discretionary fund with the foundation that hasn't been carefully audited. Wow.

So maybe it's time for new leadership. I think 11 years is probably enough for any university president. But you can't take the guy's accomplishments away from him. It was a very successful tenure as president.
                  I think you are right on here JJ and thats about what the bottom line is for me, too.

It seems like the president on any campus has to have a place to host social events and I can see the 900k approval for the new home to replace one that had seen better days.
                  Woodbine Cottage is not going to last forever so its replacement might have been deferred with the recent improvements, but SDSU will face that problem some day. Maybe sooner than we think.

The interesting part of the houses story is one of JJ old bosses, the principal owner of the Fargo Forum donated the 900k which was approved by the Board of Higher Education. How this project got to 2million is still a mystery and had not Chapman resigned he would have had to explain what was going on to the State Board of Higher Education tomorrow, Friday the 16th. Apparently there were major departures from the orginal plan and who made them and who authrozied them remain unanswered but I suspect the answers would all led back to President Chapman. Maybe Mrs Chapman is the problem here. She might be one with expensive tastes. Who knows.

Comment

Actually Joe will be at the State Board meeting which is a good thing. He may have resigned but he is out there answering the questions from media today and I'm sure he'll do the same thing tomorrow.

I think a lot of this stemmed from the Development Foundation and them being careless with how they handle money. They did correct this before the media broke the story, I think a lot of this was put in place before Chapman got his raise to ensure that NDSU was remaining competitive with what other DI university Presidents get. Some of these perks should have been pulled back when the state finnally decided to compensate its university president's adequately.

As for the house, I think a number of people can be blamed for that, part of the problem was that the old house was so bad that they might have got carried away in making sure this house was up to what other DI schools have. I know the Chapman's had some input but this was a house that they were probably only going to be living in for a few years as Chapman was heading towards retirement.

I do think Heitkamp really overstepped how a media person should cover something, especially since he has a statewide audience, Joe deserved better than a trail by media espcially one that was presided over by a person that has had issues with him in the past.

Comment

If those in charge of the house project thought that they had to meet D1 standards for the president house, they have s#it for brains. What exactly is that standard? If you visited all 350 members of D1, you would find some pretty low standard homes and some maybe some looking good, but they were paid for by donations or some manner of financing. I would think a new home for the president is seldom a popular topic around campus nor is it one where donors are abundant.

Woodbine Cottage in Brookings, was recently remodeled but I suppose it would not meet D1 standards if there is such an animal. Who is going to pay for getting there if the home is substandard. Where they thinking they would be entertaining the B10 Commmissioner next year? Come on. This is a news story!!!

The folks involved seemed to have leap frogged those questions and now they gotten a very good president in deep do-do. These names and firm names of parties involved in the over run need to mentioned as well as we are all responsible for our actions. Those involved in this big mess should not be affored cover from the press. The ambassor salary and plane ticket can be overlooked as they are peanuts, but a million dollar cost over run is not peanuts.

Comment

Good insights FB. Having gone through a similar situation with the resignation of our athletic director (and the resultant stepping WAY out of bounds on follow up stories by the Argus Leader), I understand where you are coming from. Early stories didn't mention, BTW, that the $900,000 initial projected cost was fully funded by a donor, whom I assume wanted to see the President of the University have a proper house to live in and entertain in. And I know that Chapman was only a couple of years from retiring anyway...so I doubt it was "vanity" on his, or his wife's, part.

Comment

I don't know what that standard is, I suppose they looked at what other peer schools had and built what they thought would be competitive with those schools. This house probably had more to do with being an asset in finding the next president than it ever was in being what some UND supporters call "Chapman's palace".

A few complications inflated the price somewhat(the flood disrupted the construction timeline), but whoever controlled the money didn't take a step back and realize that this project was heading way over budget. I honestly don't what would have happened if NDSU had come out and said this was going over budget earlier. There were lawmakers that were already livid that NDSU was building a million dollar house in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            Good insights FB. Having gone through a similar situation with the resignation of our athletic director (and the resultant stepping WAY out of bounds on follow up stories by the Argus Leader), I understand where you are coming from. Early stories didn't mention, BTW, that the $900,000 initial projected cost was fully funded by a donor, whom I assume wanted to see the President of the University have a proper house to live in and entertain in. And I know that Chapman was only a couple of years from retiring anyway...so I doubt it was "vanity" on his, or his wife's, part.
                            I thought the same thing when reading those stories about your AD, he didn't deserve that. I really wish Joe would have had the chance to go out on his own accord. The guy did too many good things for the state of ND and NDSU to be forced out like this.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                              I don't know what that standard is, I suppose they looked at what other peer schools had and built what they thought would be competitive those schools. This house probably had more to do with being an asset in finding the next president than it ever was in being what some UND supporters call "Chapman's palace".

A few complications inflated the price somewhat(the flood disrupted the construction timeline), but whoever controlled the money didn't take a step back and realize that this project was heading way over budget.
                              Exactly and that is the story. I dont disagree. Someone over on Bisonville mentioned that Joel Heitkamp was a hunting buddy of the former Executive of the State Board of Higher Education, who has since departed North Dakota and I do recall claims that Higher Ed CEO (Cooper?) could not control Joe Chapman and therefore he resigned. Why this CEO had to control Chapman is unclear to me but I suspect there is more about this that is not public.

I was listening to Hietkamp during the time this event of fueding between Chapman and the CEO was unfolding and Joel did not seem to pleased with what was going on and how it ended. If it involved someone close to you and you go hunting with them, then objectivty gets a little hard to handle even on the big voice that KFGO has. I did not know about this alleged relationship, but if true then I can understand Heitkamp motivations a little better.

Also using a new home to attract a new president does not seem unreasonable. I suspect it will all boil down to a few mistakes and those responsible may lose their jobs, which happens everyday in this cruel world.

Comment

Working...
                              X