The tough yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tough yard

I'm not saying that Minnett isn't a good running back but who does SDSU turn to on 3rd or 4th and 1?
    They went for it on 4th and 1 and didn't make it.
    A little later in the game they didn't gain a yard on 3rd and 1 so they kicked the FG on 4th and 1( I think). I think if they would have made it on 4th, earlier in the game, they might have punched it in later in the game. They might need to gain 1 yard later to win/stay in a game, who do you give it to?

I think that and our DB's are 2 things I like to see improved before next week. The Missouri State DB's were normally within 5-7 yards of our WR's when the ball was snapped. There were some snaps when the SDSU DB's would be about 11 yards off the WR at the snap of the ball. That was an easy 5-6 yard gain for the other team.

Re: The tough yard

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I'm not saying that Minnett isn't a good running back but who does SDSU turn to on 3rd or 4th and 1?
    They went for it on 4th and 1 and didn't make it.
    A little later in the game they didn't gain a yard on 3rd and 1 so they kicked the FG on 4th and 1( I think). I think if they would have made it on 4th, earlier in the game, they might have punched it in later in the game. They might need to gain 1 yard later to win/stay in a game, who do you give it to?

I think that and our DB's are 2 things I like to see improved before next week. The Missouri State DB's were normally within 5-7 yards of our WR's when the ball was snapped. There were some snaps when the SDSU DB's would be about 11 yards off the WR at the snap of the ball. That was an easy 5-6 yard gain for the other team.
    Minnett is the guy we want carrying the ball in short yardage situations, as he is really good at generating positive yards after contact (exhibit A: the first TD of the game against MSU). It is true that there were a couple short yardage situations that should have been converted but weren't, but that falls mostly on the O-line, as they weren't holding the original line of scrimmage (ideally you want to push the original line of scrimmage forward during the play as an offensive linemen) and/or letting a defender into the backfield. If you don't have any momentum built up when hitting the line it really doesn't matter how big and strong the running back is.

And in fairness to our O-line, the Missouri State defense front 7 is a very good unit that had no fear that we might throw a pass in short yardage situations, which is something that needs to change imo.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Find the biggest fastest o or d lineman and have him run up the middle with orders not to stop for anything,

Comment

Instead of running Minnett, they tried a pass play. The second time it was 4th and 1, the field goal was the right thing to do to put it at a touchdown lead. I like Minnett's chances of getting a first down when only one yard is needed.
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Minnett does very well at getting to the endzone. I've always said he has a nose for it. It doesn't hurt to have a few other looks to keep the D honest. It worked well when Kardoes would come in as a backup and get a few on the ground in those situations.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            This is entirely dependent on the coverage situation. Missouri State may have been playing a Cover 2 in which their corners are squatting on the flat. We may have been playing Cover 3 where the corners have the deep 1/3 to their side of the field.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

The situation where they didn't make it was the only time they went for it on fourth down all season. Its been said in another thread that almost all of us were surprised by the pass play call.

Stig seems to be very conservative in these situations and I'm not going to second guess him. It does seem like we line up an awful lot in fourth down and try and draw the defense offside. I don't recall it ever working but we've tried it a lot. One of these weeks we are going to line up in that formation and act like we are trying to draw them over and actually snap the ball. That may very well catch the opponent off guard.

I disagree with the thread starter in his assesment of who do we go to when we need the tough yard. Minnette has been the guy and he has been very succesful. Every now and then you do have to mix it up to keep the defense on it.

No matter what you call, there is no guarantee that it will work!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Coincidental (or ironic?) that the toughest yard thread comes up two years (not calendar, Marker Game) after the greatest "tough yard" in recent memory.

Give me Minett, he's always going forward. Unless there is a Brandon Jacobs sitting on the sideline. Watch that guy run on Sundays and ask yourself how devestating of a back he must have been in the conference.

4th and 1 foot at the goal line they still should have went for it. Too much overthinking on the 3rd and 1's this year. If you can't get 1 yard with arguably the best back in the conference and an o-line with NFL prospects, then you need to look at yourself in the mirror and ask how good you really are.

Comment

Nuff said.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Nuff said.

Does anyone else wish they'd bring back the yellow pants with the blue tops??
                    The Blue on Blue isn't doing it for me personally.

Go Jacks!!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                      does anyone else wish they'd bring back the yellow pants with the blue tops??
                      The blue on blue isn't doing it for me personally.

Go jacks!!
                      yes!!!
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I like variety as long as we don't go all "Oregon" with it.

Some of their looks are just awful! Nike is their monster supporter and they provide all the swag.

Do we even have the yellow pants anymore? I could understand where saving the $$$ for multiple pants would be a wise move. Does Nike provide them with their contract?

If we've go them let's put 'em on!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Love the banana pants!!

I expect to seem them this week or the next.

Comment

Working...
                          X