North Dakota among the least brain-healthy states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Dakota among the least brain-healthy states

I dunno if this is good news or bad news for our fans up in North Dakota. Though it might explain their behavior patterns.
    http://health.msn.com/nutrition/arti...5093&gt1=31036

Not every state in the union can be full of geniuses, right? At least that's what, at first glance, one might conclude after seeing the results of the "life'sDHA Index of Brain Health," an assessment that ranks all 50 states and the District of Columbia according to what its creators consider to be factors supporting brain health.

Washington, D.C., and nine brain-healthy states made the top 10 list. Here are the 10 lowest-ranking states: Indiana, North Dakota, South Carolina, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Oklahoma and, dead last, Louisiana.

Re: North Dakota among the least brain-healthy states

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
    I dunno if this is good news or bad news for our fans up in North Dakota. Though it might explain their behavior patterns.
    http://health.msn.com/nutrition/arti...5093&gt1=31036
    Any surprise that a majority of those states are in the deep south? Noooope.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

:snort:

The short executive summary type analysis of that report:

Martek says you're an idiot if you don't buy Martek products.

Comment

Of course, SD is hanging in there at #38 . . .
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oh, yeah.

Eat yer Omega-3, everyone.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
            Any surprise that a majority of those states are in the deep south? Noooope.

Wow, kind of a sweeping statement there. Some awfully smart people come from that part of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              Wow, kind of a sweeping statement there. Some awfully smart people come from that part of the country.
              Yeah, like Brett Favre and Jim Nabors

Comment

Very true, but a lot of times, there are reasons stereo types exist.

Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, West Virginia, New Mexico, California have the lowest percentages of people over the age of 25 that have completed high school.

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...&-format=US-30

Does completing high school validate intelligence? No. But those are the states that are the least educated. Does that mean there aren't plenty of people that are very smart and educated from those states? Again, no.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

[QUOTE=RabbitObserver;129040]Very true, but a lot of times, there are reasons stereo types exist.

QUOTE]

Kinda like do you have electricity and outdoor toilets in the Dakotas, or calling South Dakota State "South Dakota," or a Georgia sportswriter making a stupid snow-in-September quip about Brookings?

Someone else mentioned Jim Nabors. I have no idea whether he was smart or not, but he DID play a stereotype of southerners that fit Hollywood's '60s view of the world.
                  Larry the Cable Guy grew up in neighboring Nebraska, for goodness sake You want the Upper Midwest stereotyped by Larry the Cable Guy?

If it's frustrating when our home region or school is stereotyped or misunderstood...

Comment

Uh . . .

North Dakota?
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Larry the Cable Guy grew up in neighboring Nebraska, for goodness sake You want the Upper Midwest stereotyped by Larry the Cable Guy?
                      If I had a dollar for every Nebraskan I've seen in the official state shirt of Nebraska, a button down shirt with the sleeves ripped off..................

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Uh . . .

North Dakota?

In the other 48, it's Dakota - you gotta know that, Filbert.

Once, when I told someone I was from South Dakota, she said, "Oh, I've been to Minot." I told her Minot is further away from where I grew up than Boston is from Washington, D.C. They've seen "Fargo" and "North by Northwest" and they think that's all they need to know.

All I'm saying is that it's folly to stereotype entire regions. They play the best college football in the Deep South, too. They launch the Space Shuttle there. They have great universities. They gave us Faulkner and Harper Lee and Tennessee Williams for goodness sake.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                          If I had a dollar for every Nebraskan I've seen in the official state shirt of Nebraska, a button down shirt with the sleeves ripped off..................

Okay, I give up. I gotta go hang my sleeveless shirt on the clothesline next to the chickenshack.

Comment

In the other 48, it's Dakota - you gotta know that, Filbert.

Once, when I told someone I was from South Dakota, she said, "Oh, I've been to Minot." I told her Minot is further away from where I grew up than Boston is from Washington, D.C. They've seen "Fargo" and "North by Northwest" and they think that's all they need to know.

All I'm saying is that it's folly to stereotype entire regions. They play the best college football in the Deep South, too. They launch the Space Shuttle there. They have great universities. They gave us Faulkner and Harper Lee and Tennessee Williams for goodness sake.
                            Well, occasionally you have to consider the source . . .

And actually, it's not so much "Dakota" as it is a kind of blank stare. I was once asked if South Dakota was next to North Carolina. Go figure.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I was in Omaha working one summer during my college years and I was talking to girl at a party and she said "I know two people from South Dakota, maybe you know them." I chuckled and said that South Dakota is not that small of a state. Well she said both names and I knew them both. I was in shock.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
                              X