O'Brien's play/ first start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O'Brien's play/ first start

People! O'Brien was getting hit as he was making a throw in the endzone and people are blaming him for the fumble! Are you kidding me? The blitz should have been picked up anyway. How can any one even mention his first 2 turnovers as remotely being his fault? (His first interception was right threw Colin's hands). The last interception was a shock for all of us as we knew we weren't undefeated anymore. It was one I'm sure he'd want back. But how many times have you seen QB's get picked like that at the end of games when they are trying to make something happen? (Uchummm - Berry...... Southern Illinois.... LAST YEAR). The offense hadn't scored once in the entire second half against CP and he was trying to take the game over. People need to realize how hard the position is and stop being so hard on our QB's.

Re: O'Brien's play/ first start

Originally posted by gojackrabbits! View Post
    People! O'Brien was getting hit as he was making a throw in the endzone and people are blaming him for the fumble! Are you kidding me? The blitz should have been picked up anyway. How can any one even mention his first 2 turnovers as remotely being his fault? (His first interception was right threw Colin's hands). The last interception was a shock for all of us as we knew we weren't undefeated anymore. It was one I'm sure he'd want back. But how many times have you seen QB's get picked like that at the end of games when they are trying to make something happen? (Uchummm - Berry...... Southern Illinois.... LAST YEAR). The offense hadn't scored once in the entire second half against CP and he was trying to take the game over. People need to realize how hard the position is and stop being so hard on our QB's.
    I for one am not blaming OBrien for anything. Only wish him the best this week

Comment

Mom's, Dad's, close friends, etc. should be careful when browsing this site.

TOB will be fine. Not all the turnovers where TOB's fault by any means, and I really don't remember anyone on here even stating that.

I myself feel that we had a better chance of winning with a 5th year Senior in that game than a Redshirt Freshman in his first game experience. I guess if I'm out of line in that thinking, go ahead and rip-away.

Like I said...I see TOB breaking every passing record by the time he's done at SDSU, but Saturday night...we needed Craw to win that game, IMO.

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
        Mom's, Dad's, close friends, etc. should be careful when browsing this site.

TOB will be fine. Not all the turnovers where TOB's fault by any means, and I really don't remember anyone on here even stating that.

I myself feel that we had a better chance of winning with a 5th year Senior in that game than a Redshirt Freshman in his first game experience. I guess if I'm out of line in that thinking, go ahead and rip-away.

Like I said...I see TOB breaking every passing record by the time he's done at SDSU, but Saturday night...we needed Craw to win that game, IMO.

Go Jacks!!
        Im with you propar. I dont think Ive seen anyone on here blaming TOB for what happend. And I also believe that in that game I have more confidence in the offense with Crawford in. Would make sense being as he was the starter. I think TOB will be fine next weekend and continue to improve as the year progresses. I just hope hes on the accellerated curve because we have NDSU and UNI looming right around the corner.
        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I agree with the first quote. However, he's gonna need to come and play relaxed. He needs to show the leadership that crawford did. He can do it. I hope he's given more than just this game to prove himself. He should be ok. We need to get behind him now because he's going to be our QB for a long time.

Any word on crawford?

Comment

On the hand I have to disagree to a point the first quote too. I think for the most part people are rallying beind TOB and have confidence in him. Others on the Argus and Terry V have been a little more skeptical unfortunately.

Comment

I am sure that they are working to build plays around TOB's attributes and throwing style this week. Glad to have a Missouri State this week instead of a UNI right away. Should be OK.
              “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

It will help this week that O'Brien will get the majority of the snaps with first team to get the timing down and chemistry back, something that maybe lacked in last weeks effort. Hopefully this weekend is the coming out party for Thomas with repeat performances for the rest of season/career.

Comment

I think this is a good reminder to everyone posting that this site is read by parents, close friends and even the PLAYERS themselves. It is also read by players and fans from other teams! You are entitled to your opinion, but just remember who is reading it. Be supportive fans of all SDSU athletics!

Comment

Remember when Berry went down against NDSU last year. Crawford came in and had some success but really that game was very similiar to the Poly game when TOB came in. The coaches shut down and went very conservative except for the times when they ran the Flash offense. No need to blame anyone for the turnovers, they happen when aggressive play is involved. The only problem I see this week is that TOB only has a couple of days to get ready with the first string offense. I suspect that there are plays that have been worked on in the preseason with TOB at quarterback that the offense will be comfortable with but it's been two months now since the preseason.

But like a great writer on this site says, "I think we'll be okay." We may be in cardiac mode for a while and panicking but the Jacks will pull it off.

Comment

I see no need to panic at all (and I really don't think anybody is). I'm pretty sure TOB would have put up just as good of numbers and Crawford did in the first 3 games. Missouri State is going to be a tough game but it is the perfect game for TOB to get things going and get warmed up for NDSU and UNI. As much as it sucks for Crawford, getting Tommy these games and reps is going to be a great investmest for Jackrabbit football. And the investment will pay off this year.

Comment

TOB did fine. The game will slow down for him significantly over the next couple of weeks. Keep in mind, the pick-six hit our receiver right in the hands. His arm is impressive. I would be more worried about the ability of our receivers to catch the ball than TOB's ability to get it to them. I see great things coming from him.

Comment

No idea where this post is coming from but perhaps time will tell. I look forward and expect the best from all involved this next week regardless of what happened last week and expect that our fans, coaches and players are doing the same. I'd call this post bizarre at best and inappropriate at worst. It's probably somewhere in between.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am with MD on this one. I haven't seen anyone on here ripping any of the players. To me, stating what occurred on a play and perhaps where a mistake was made is not ripping a player. I am sure all of us "experts" on here are nothing compared to the film sessions with the position coaches. No one in the history of football has played the entire game perfectly (unless maybe you are a kicker or you were only in for a few plays). The mistakes the team made this week were enough to lose the game. How many times have you heard Stig comment on every play matters, play in the moment, etc.....Our guys do this well. I think good players are plenty hard on themselves when they goof up. Good players will also use that as extra incentive to get better. I don't see this team losing its focus after last week's tough game. I expect the D this week to be extra nasty (without the dumb penalties).

And to get back (finally) to the title of the thread, TOB will play better. I thought he had a decent game last week. All those reasons already mentioned on several threads will have him prepared to play from the start against MSU. But I also expect our O-line and receivers to step it up as well. I bet they do too.

Comment

From TV's Twitter last night:

"Just got off the phone with SDSU freshman QB Thomas O'Brien, who will make his first start Saturday. He seems built for this, confident."

Comment

Working...
                              X