Missouri State game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missouri State game

Well, it's time to move on. We lost a game we probably should have won. There is no room for error the rest of the way. None. Missouri State awaits coming off a 17-7 road win over Youngstown State in which they forced five turnovers. They are a much, much better team than last year. We must get prepared without important starters on each side of the line. There are no options. TOB and the receivers are going to have to click and, perhaps more importantly, the running game is going to have to lead the way. At times so far this year, it's disappointed. The defense has not. It must continue to be exceptional. We'll find out in the next three weeks whether we're a team worthy of being lauded. Playoff teams bounce back from bad breaks. It's easier said than done, but it's the only choice if we really want to take a step forward at this level.
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Re: Missouri State game

Looking at Missouri State's stats it appears we could have some success throwing the ball as they give up an average of 269 yards a game. Statistically they are much better against the run giving up an average of 124 yards a game.

It will be interesting to see how our offense attacks them this week. Will it be in the air with a redshirt freshman getting his first start, and where they appear weakest? If they aren't all that strong against the pass then I think it could be a good first start for O'Brien.

Comment

The Pride and I will be in Springfield, MO this weekend.

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...=13&calcid=685

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
        Looking at Missouri State's stats it appears we could have some success throwing the ball as they give up an average of 269 yards a game. Statistically they are much better against the run giving up an average of 124 yards a game.

It will be interesting to see how our offense attacks them this week. Will it be in the air with a redshirt freshman getting his first start, and where they appear weakest? If they aren't all that strong against the pass then I think it could be a good first start for O'Brien.
        I'm guessing he'll get a lot of relatively safe stuff right away--possibly the opportunity to air it out a few times if he gets decent protection from the line. If you get the protection, a nice long 45+ yard pass is a relatively safe pass IMHO.

I think the rest of the team is strong enough that if O'Brien just avoids making the really ill-advised throw, concentrates on not forcing things and instead just manages the game until it all "slows down" for him, we'll be all right.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          I'm guessing he'll get a lot of relatively safe stuff right away--possibly the opportunity to air it out a few times if he gets decent protection from the line. If you get the protection, a nice long 45+ yard pass is a relatively safe pass IMHO.

I think the rest of the team is strong enough that if O'Brien just avoids making the really ill-advised throw, concentrates on not forcing things and instead just manages the game until it all "slows down" for him, we'll be all right.
          O-line has to be better than they were against SLO or its going to be a tough game for O'Brien. Minnett had very few holes to run through and SLO had pressure on our QB's all night. I'm a little concerned about the line play after Saturday. The Wildcat set seemed to work, I think Minnett should keep the ball out of that set a little more. Again, not a decision for me to make just an observation.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post

How on earth did their run defense improve that much? If I recall, they were the worst, the very bottom, the brown stuff I stepped in the yard this weekend in rush defense in the FCS last year.

I believe the Jacks can run the ball at a 4-5 yard per carry average with a little help from the line. But if Mo.St. is bringing 8 up to the line and sneaking that 9th guy toward the line of scrimmage, they must pay.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              O-line has to be better than they were against SLO or its going to be a tough game for O'Brien. Minnett had very few holes to run through and SLO had pressure on our QB's all night. I'm a little concerned about the line play after Saturday. The Wildcat set seemed to work, I think Minnett should keep the ball out of that set a little more. Again, not a decision for me to make just an observation.
              I did like the wildcat set and it seemed to be effective. I agree that Minnett should keep the ball now and than. Hum, I wonder if Kyle can throw the ball out of that set? would be interesting. Kool appears to have ample speed that if he breaks thru the line - look out. Maybe a little roll out from Kyle to Kool in the future.

TOB will be just fine. After all he nearly won the starting position to begin the season. Has the weather in Brookings been acommodating enought to practice? That's what TOB need most.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                I did like the wildcat set and it seemed to be effective. I agree that Minnett should keep the ball now and than. Hum, I wonder if Kyle can throw the ball out of that set? would be interesting. Kool appears to have ample speed that if he breaks thru the line - look out. Maybe a little roll out from Kyle to Kool in the future.

TOB will be just fine. After all he nearly won the starting position to begin the season. Has the weather in Brookings been acommodating enought to practice? That's what TOB need most.

GBGBGJ
                They ran the wildcat when Minnet was a freshman with Koenig, but I don't remember seeing it last year. And I do remember Koenig throwing out of it.

It's not a formation to abuse, but it seems that when used on a limited basis to catch the defense offguard, it is effective, not only in FCS, but FBS and even NFL.

Comment

I'll go first, what the heck.

SDSU 21
                  MSU 20

Jacks score with 14 seconds left. They win time of possession category
                  34-26.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post

GBGBGJ
                    From Arlington 22 miles to Btown. Its rained steadly all day long. Started sprinkling before sun up and has not stopped. Have no clue on practice. I doubt any repair to CAS happened today, but maybe they got to it yesterday.

Comment

Bear Nation:

http://www.msubearnation.com/forum/
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

35 - 7 Jacks. O'Brien has 3 TD passes
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Stat Breakdown:

Scoring Offense
                          SDSU - 34.2
                          MSU - 18.6

Scoring Defense
                          SDSU - 11.0
                          MSU - 22.8

PASSING O
                          SDSU - 215.8
                          MSU - 163.8

PASSING D
                          SDSU - 162.2
                          MSU - 269.2

RUSHING O
                          SDSU - 151.8
                          MSU - 121.0

RUSHING D
                          SDSU - 74.0
                          MSU - 124.6
                          ===========

We are better than Missouri St in every catagory. Even with a new QB at the helm, and playing on the road, I'll take SDSU 28-17.

Comment

It'd be nice to be able to both ,run & pass well against Missouri State, success doing both keeps the defense guessing all the time,& when they guess wrong,big gains!

Comment

If Mo St is a legit play-off team this year, then they will need to win this game. They are 3-2, with Arkansas and UNI being their two losses. Two weak OVC teams, and Youngstown at Youngstown are their wins.

With their win vs YSU at YSU, that moved them up in my mind to be the #4 team in the MoValley, and therefore, the scariest road game in conference.

If Jacks are the play-off caliber, MoValley auto-bid team that I believe them to be, then they need to be stifling on D like the first 3 games, and I want to see the offensive leadership from T OB, ala the GSU game for Crawford. I suspect that with a week of practice, and the Cal Poly experience we should have another dominating game. From all indications, Mo St.'s O is not scary good. It took a FIVE TURNOVER MARGIN to get a small (a 10 point margin) win. Now did the MSU offense actually have a long drive?

I foresee a strong performance like IL St game. IMHO, the MO St vs IL ST game will be close, not the SDSU game. If Jacks are going to compete for the MoValley crown, winning in a similar fashion that UNI pulled at MSU should be a goal. The good news is that a 1 pt 4 OT game counts as a win too, but I don't believe that the game will go to OT.

Jacks 34, Bear 17 or 24.

Comment

Working...
                              X