• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI Gift

UNI Athletics receives $2M gift from Wasendorf family

UNI Sports Information
    03 October 2009

CEDAR FALLS -- Russell and Connie Wasendorf have pledged $2 million to the University of Northern Iowa Panther athletics program. The gift was made through the UNI Foundation.

This is the largest unrestricted outright gift to the UNI athletic department in its 100-plus year history.

By making this commitment, the Wasendorfs became founding investors in the VIP Fund, part of the university's Imagine the Impact campaign. The VIP (Vested in the Panthers) Fund was created to secure unrestricted resources for Panther athletics and will help support scholarships, programs, equipment and facilities.

UNI Director of Athletics Troy Dannen said, "We are pleased to recognize Connie and Russ as founding investors of the Panther athletics VIP Fund. Their leadership will help ensure the sustainability of a strong intercollegiate athletic program at Northern Iowa for years to come."

Russ Wasendorf said, "I am simply paying back, with interest, the financial aid I received while attending UNI. I feel, without that financial aid, I would not have received a quality college education. Connie and I are proud to make this donation and enhance opportunities for UNI student athletes."

In addition to this commitment, the Wasendorf's have supported Panther athletics with significant investments in the McLeod Center and the UNI-Dome.

UNI President Benjamin Allen said, "We are very proud, and quite humbled, to have such significant support from a couple who are among the Cedar Valley's most prominent business and community leaders. "Russ and Connie's generosity opens many opportunities for our students to enhance their college experiences."
Working...
X