X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009-2010 SDSU Enrollment BOR Numbers

The number is 12,376 from the BOR site, link below:

http://www.sdbor.edu/publications/do...Enrollment.pdf
    “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Re: 2009-2010 SDSU Enrollment BOR Numbers

Time for my yearly post on enrollment. First, 12,376 is higher than what I was hearing on campus, so that's great. Second, it's worth mentioning again that headcount is useful to a point, but full-time equivalents really tells the story of a university's enrollment.

Headcount:

SDSU, 12,376
    USD, 9,617
    Difference = 2,759

FTE

SDSU, 10,197
    USD, 6,895
    Difference = 3,302

Since that FTE number is based on total credit hours generated by the institution, it gives you a better idea of how much actual education is going on at a given campus.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It would be interesting to go back 10 or 15 years and calculate how much of the "enrollment increase" in higher education is due not to more individuals enrolling in higher education, but is the result of the same number of students extending their time on campus from a traditional 4 year undergraduate programt to 5 or even six years. In other words, if 15 years ago the average undergrad matriculation was 4.5 years and now its 4.75 years, that increase results in the overall enrollment numbers increasing even though the actual number of human beings attending doesnt increase.

Comment

just fyi from the presser this morning..

SDSU number were up 3.18 percent overall, but when you look at the FTE enrollment was up 3.01 percent over last year.

USD numbers were up 3.51 percent overall, but FTE enrollment was only up 1.39 percent.

Comment

Personally, I'm more interested in what SDSU's fraction (headcount and FTE) is in the entire system vs. compared to USD or any other single institution.

Headcount: SDSU is 36.6% of the system total;
          FTE: SDSU is 38.5% of the system total.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Interesting to note that the FTE enrollment (the only meaningful way to make comparisons between the institutions), shows that SDSU has more full-time equivalent students than the next two largest institutions (USD and BHSU) combined. There is no doubt where the flagship university is in South Dakota...period. (Not that there was ever much doubt in the past.)

Comment

I had always wondered why UND had more enrollment than NDSU, until a UND alum explained just this week on another thread why that was so. UND has always had the equivalent of SD Tech on their campus, so there are two engineering school in ND, one Fargo and one in GF. There is no ND Tech or North School of Mines and Technolgy in Medora, its in GF.

So if we combined USD and SDSMT enrollments there would still be a less amount than SDSU has recorded sinc SDSMT is 2177. Interesting as was Jack#1 comment.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
                It would be interesting to go back 10 or 15 years and calculate how much of the "enrollment increase" in higher education is due not to more individuals enrolling in higher education, but is the result of the same number of students extending their time on campus from a traditional 4 year undergraduate programt to 5 or even six years. In other words, if 15 years ago the average undergrad matriculation was 4.5 years and now its 4.75 years, that increase results in the overall enrollment numbers increasing even though the actual number of human beings attending doesnt increase.
                I'm curious about the change over time in overall numbers vs. FTE numbers--as an indicator of how continuing education & non-trad enrollment have become more important to the SDSU mission.

I mean, shoot, fifteen years ago, 'non-trad' pretty much meant the weird people living in Wecota Annex.

-----

And another question: what would happen to SDSU enrollment numbers if the legislature provided state support for University Center classes (or has that already happened?)

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  I'm curious about the change over time in overall numbers vs. FTE numbers--as an indicator of how continuing education & non-trad enrollment have become more important to the SDSU mission.

I mean, shoot, fifteen years ago, 'non-trad' pretty much meant the weird people living in Wecota Annex.

-----

And another question: what would happen to SDSU enrollment numbers if the legislature provided state support for University Center classes (or has that already happened?)
                  If you gauge going into the future of SDSU by your own campus experience, you are in for a real shock. They used paper punches to punch your lamated student activity cards as a for instance in the early 1960's. That was long before the turn stiles that are now probabluy very antiquated. So everything is so different I would be going through some adjustments if I decided to come back as a student after all these years.

I believe non-traditional education is going to continue to grow in South Dakota and that seems to make a number of people nervous as that upsets the apple cart of traditional higher education. Its a changing world.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    I believe non-traditional education is going to continue to grow in South Dakota and that seems to make a number of people nervous as that upsets the apple cart of traditional higher education. Its a changing world.
                    I don't think the administration at either USD or SDSU is worried about state support at the University Center in Sioux Falls (and, to a lesser extent, the Capital University Center in Pierre). I do think the smaller schools are nervous, though.

IMO, the schools aren't doing enough to promote/cultivate their non-trad programs, which means, IMO, that USD (for instance) is losing students to the Minnesota School of Business.

BTW, those students in Wecota were weird, I don't care what you say.......

Comment

Northern is a school that I think could be in trouble as they are on a downward spiral.

Comment

On the FTE vs headcount a thing to examine.

USD's headcount went up 326 students while FTE's only went up 92.9. That means the average headcount increase at USD was taking an average of 3.42 credits. That means they are barely taking over a single 3 credit class.

SDSU's headcount is up 381 and the FTE's are up 297.5 FTE or 9.37 credit hours per student. That is an additional two classes per student. It means most of our enrollment growth (9/12 or 75%) is by full-time students.

Higher education is funded by FTE's as has been mentioned earlier. I just wanted to look at the averages. A student taking 3 credits versus 9 credits. SDSU students rock.

Comment

Statewide the FTE count went up 542 for the 6 schools.

State's FTE count went up 297.5.

We account for more than 54.8% of the FTE student population gain for the Fall Term 2009.

Aren't numbers fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            I had always wondered why UND had more enrollment than NDSU, until a UND alum explained just this week on another thread why that was so. UND has always had the equivalent of SD Tech on their campus, so there are two engineering school in ND, one Fargo and one in GF. There is no ND Tech or North School of Mines and Technolgy in Medora, its in GF.

So if we combined USD and SDSMT enrollments there would still be a less amount than SDSU has recorded sinc SDSMT is 2177. Interesting as was Jack#1 comment.
                            Historically UND had higher enrollment than NDSU, but NDSU now has over 1,000 more students than UND (something like 1,500 more FTE's)

Comment

Working...
                            X