SDSU@Cal-Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU@Cal-Poly

Well we've had our day to focus on yesterdays game, time to look ahead to out first real test of the year with Cal-Poly. What do we know about them coming into this game? They lost their great QB and WR from last year that hurt us so bad I believe, and also had some coaching changes if I remember what I've read correctly. I could be wrong on the last one though, so I'm checking that now . They lost to two FBS teams in a competitive game and got killed in the other, and waxed a bad Sac State team. They appear to be a very good running team this year. Their fans seem to be fairly confident that they will come away with the win in this game due to how untested we are compared to them playing two FBS teams. I think FBS games are tough to judge a team on, and I'm fairly confident we've got a better team than them. Its just down to if we play like it in our first test. Go Jacks!
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Re: SDSU@Cal-Poly

Just checked it appears they do have a new coaching staff this year.

Comment

They also added a 5th yr STARTING receiver from UCLA (or USC) who graduated and is now at Poly for grad school. Similar abilities to Rames.

Graduated a LARGE portion of last years outstanding offense. Which may help the new coach.

This should be another close, hard fought game. Cal Poly is in a tough spot. They need to go with no more than one loss to a schedule that still has the entire GWFC to play (the easy part of their schedule, and win at home vs SDSU and on the road against Montana and Weber St. With Dixie St (D-II) still to play, this is a MUST win for the 'Stangs.

We've beaten them before in SLO. and hopefully, the tight game expected against them this time goes down like the tight game expected vs GA Southern.

Comment

Cal Poly looks to run the ball, averaging 225 yds/game compared to 121 yds/game passing.

Some key players

FB JR Jordan Yocum - 36 for 183 yds, 5.1 ave with 0 TD

They have a running QB that transfered from Utah that isn't having a very good season.

JR Tony Smith
        Running stats: 44 for 112, 2.5 ave with 1 TD
        Passing stats: 23/55 for 365, 3 TD with 3 INT

Top Receiver
        6'3 WR JR Dominique Johnson 11 rec, 166yds, 0 TD
        (transfer from UCLA)

No other receiver with over 2 receptions

Top Tacklers

LB JR Marty Mohamed 24 tackles
        LB FR Kenny Jackson 18 tackles

On paper this looks like another winnable game. I think Cal Poly is a bit over-rated off of what they did last year. That being said, it is a home game for them and they've just got done playing two FBS teams so they're probably hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
          They also added a 5th yr STARTING receiver from UCLA (or USC) who graduated and is now at Poly for grad school. Similar abilities to Rames.
          Holy smokes , good thing we got a good D this year.

Comment

31-20 Jacks.

Comment

I'm really excited to see how things play out the rest of the year. Over the last several years the Jacks have been a notoriusly slow starting team but have gotten things together as the season went on.

Not this year! They have come out strong and played pretty well in the first three games. The defense looks very strong and Crawford has done a great job in taking care of the ball. Now, the first three opponents aren't very strong but in years past we struggled against that caliber team early.

We're going to find out how strong a team we really have over the next four weeks. They may have what it takes to be a pretty special team. A real strong test in Cal-Poly followed by an average Missouri State team that got handled 35-7 by UNI at home. The Missouri State game may be the trap game with NDSU and UNI the following weeks at home.

How exciting would it be to be undefeated when the Buffalo Chips come to CAS?

This is going to be a lot of fun!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Here is a link to offical website:

http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&id=29891

They have lost to San Jose State and Ohio State. So the loses are respectable ones to FBC teams. Maybe one could argue that in the past they might have beaten San Jose State but it did not happen last weekend. So I would expect a good game and if we can come away with a win, out confidence will only escalate as we hope and expect.

Comment

The formula for a Jack win remains the same!

1. Take care of the ball. No turnovers.
                  2. Establish the run.
                  3. Be agressive on defense. Utlilize defensive speed.
                  4. Win special teams battle.

They've done all four well in the first three games and confidence must be high.

SDSU 34
                  Cal-Poly 24

I think the Jacks will come out strong and put points up early and our defense will hold them down. A big day for Minnette will open things up for Crawford and the receiving corps. Cal-Poly scores points late to make it more respectable.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Here is a link to offical website:

http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&id=29891

They have lost to San Jose State and Ohio State. So the loses are respectable ones to FBC teams.
                    For perspective, Nidaros, need to point out that they lost to Ohio University, not Ohio State. Considerable difference there I think!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                      He is a redshirt Junior and has two years left. He is faster than Ramses, but can not go as high for balls as Ramses. It would of been nice to have both on the field at the same time.

Comment

This is a dangerous game and a considrable upgrade in competition from the first three weeks, but like others I feel if the Jack's can follow a similiar formula that has proven sucessful they can go out there and get a win. How exciting would it be take care of business the next 2 weeks and go into the NDSU game at 5-0.

Comment

The preseason ended Saturday night. October will tell the story for the 2009 Rabbits. GO RABBITS!

Comment

Last year RB Jono Grayson filled in for an injured James Noble and ran for 124 yards and 2 TDs against the Jacks. This last week he ran for 138 yards on 15 carries and a TD against San Jose State. Jono is small, but he can fly.

The key to this game for Cal Poly is the play of their QB Tony Smith. In the first game he was 12 of 19 for 218 yards and three TDs and he ran for 95 yards and another TD. Against Ohio he was 1 of 11 for 12 yards with two picks. He did better against SJSU going 10 of 25 for 135 yards (one pick on a hail mary to end the game). If Cal Poly has a passing game their offense is very dangerous. Without it they are a one trick pony.

Comment

31-10. Jacks are that good.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                              X