When a fan's a fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a fan's a fan

I commend anyone to take a look over at Bisonville right now if you want to see the difference between a Jack fan and a Bison fan in hard times.

In the past few years, the Jackrabbits have had every bit of expectation and heartache in basketball, based on tradition, as NDSU ever has had in football. But I defy anyone to show where the arguments or blame-gaming on this board has approached the same galaxy of invective, name-calling and juvenile junk that is being spewed over on that board right now.

Maybe the Bison just lost to a better team tonight. Sometimes you gotta live with that.

Re: When a fan's a fan

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    I commend anyone to take a look over at Bisonville right now if you want to see the difference between a Jack fan and a Bison fan in hard times.

In the past few years, the Jackrabbits have had every bit of expectation and heartache in basketball, based on tradition, as NDSU ever has had in football. But I defy anyone to show where the arguments or blame-gaming on this board has approached the same galaxy of invective, name-calling and juvenile junk that is being spewed over on that board right now.

Maybe the Bison just lost to a better team tonight. Sometimes you gotta live with that.
    Bisonville has IMHO been deteriorating for a while. A meltdown was probably inevitable.

I'm a Denver Bronco fan, and I always think of my emotions during the second Super Bowl win the Broncos had vs. the Falcons. While I was happy enough that Denver won, that happiness was tempered (almost ruined, actually) by the knowledge of what it felt like to be the backer of the team that got blown out in the Super Bowl.

It sucks to lose. That's all there is to it.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I got rep points for my demotivational posters of Mertens over there (though one of them was negative but he thought I was a Bison fan). Wasn't trying to smack Mertens or the team, but just to kinda point out their reactions to him.

Comment

Bisonville also has a lot more active posters (or so it seems)--so if one guy's opinions make him a nut around here, he may have three or four people who agree with him over there...

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
          Bisonville also has a lot more active posters (or so it seems)--so if one guy's opinions make him a nut around here, he may have three or four people who agree with him over there...

Good point; we've got lots of viewers, would be nice to have more posters!

Comment

I think we have alot more stringent moderators here (which I think is great) that keeps alot of the negativity and foul language from ever becoming a problem here like there.

Comment

I think a lot of it has to do with their sense of entitlement. SDSU doesn't come from that background of success so when the success does come, you (we? ew. ) are more appreciative of it.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                I think a lot of it has to do with their sense of entitlement. SDSU doesn't come from that background of success so when the success does come, you (we? ew. ) are more appreciative of it.

But that was my point. We have a tradition of success in basketball and you never saw that kind of personal, profane stuff on this board as the program struggled to get its D-1 footing.

Comment

I think the tone set for this board by filbert plays a significant role in the level of discourse. It seems message boards have the potential to melt down to the lowest form of communication permitted. For example, if the board permits a lot of profanity, eventually a lot of profanity can and will occur. If a board does not permit profanity, none can occur. When profanity occurs, it will drive away some members.

It's my opinion that RabbitOberserver's point about a sense of entitlement, as tempered by NoVaJack's explanatory comment, provides some insight into the meltdown up north and the contrast with what is likely the SDSU fans' reaction to adversity.

In any event, I think we also have to keep in mind that the reaction up north is, after all, the views of a handful of regular posters on the message board. It cannot be viewed as an indication of how the rank-and-file, loyal Bison fans may feel or react to the football program sustaining some losses. No doubt the rank-and-file Bison fans are terribly disappointed but if many of them share the extreme views expressed by some of the posters on the message board, they have better sense to keep it to themselves.

What one cannot tell is how many fans may be directing some of their invective against Bohl -- telling it directly to him. How would you like to be Coach Bohl trying to decide whether to stick with QB Mertens? If he makes a switch now, will it appear he's caving in to fans? It strikes me that the louder some fans scream at Bohl, the less likely he may be to switch QBs. Ahh, but what the heck do I know?

Comment

I think SDSU fans should consider the meltdown of the rabid core of Bison fans as a bit of a reality-check when envying the 18k crowds at the Fargo Dome.

Best to appreciate what you've got when you've got it, instead of missing it, once it's gone.

Hopefully it'll be a cold day in some proverbial hot place before SDSU attracts the kind of hangers on that NDSU has (LakesBison, f'r instance). But it could happen.

Comment

I was at a wedding that took me completely way from the radio so had no clue as to what with SDSU-Ill State game untill I came to the board. It appears we played a great game and dominated as was expected. True NDSU never expects to be 1-3 in football, yep its tough on some of the fans who are very used to winning consistently. I been spending less and less time over on Bisonville, because of the attitudes and some of them really stink but some of their fans are the greatest too.

Its nice to be 3-0, but we need to play each game one by one and I for one do not want to get too cocky about our success. Our fandom is growing and lets hope this continues, but at the same time things could change in a hurry and we could end up being 3-3 just like that. Lets hope that does not happen. I hope we can take care of Cal SLO and Missouri State both, but there are no guarentees.

Comment

They've still got their volleyball team to cheer for

Comment

This is a tough deal for the NDSU faithful to swallow. Early in the transition their football team held its own. Their men's basketball, which had always been about average, soared. Now, the football program is in the tank and men's basketball is about to crash to the earth in a giant ball of reality. It's going to be a cold and ugly winter in Fargo.

Comment

The once proud Bison surveys his shrinking domain

Comment

I suppose we should all keep in mind that many of us thought we were sunk at the 0-3 start in '06 and '07.
                              Last edited by JackJD; 09-27-2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X