Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coughlin Capacity

A bit of a rant here, but anyway...

Any time someone brings up the topic of the seating capacity of Coughlin, the response is basically: it doesn't have a maximum capacity, people just stand around the field.

Now I realize there are a certain number of folks who like to lean on the fence and watch while standing. But there are a heckuva lot more who want a seat with a decent view of the game, and if we keep bringing in crowds like we have, this is going to become a problem.

Single game GA tickets for the rest of the season run $15, I for one would not pay that to stretch my neck to try to see the game while standing 3 deep on the sideline or endzone.

My theory is that with the current setup, we will never average more than 13,500 at games, no matter how good the team is. Anything more than that, and people will simply not show up to risk standing with an obstructed view.

I know the response-buy season tickets or reserved seating, but that's not a realistic option for a lot of people.

I also know there is not an easy or quick solution to this problem (and I guess its a good problem to have), but the quicker we can get a new stadium built with a cozy capacity of around 20K, the better.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: Coughlin Capacity

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Any time someone brings up the topic of the seating capacity of Coughlin, the response is basically: it doesn't have a maximum capacity, people just stand around the field.

Now I realize there are a certain number of folks who like to lean on the fence and watch while standing. But there are a heckuva lot more who want a seat with a decent view of the game, and if we keep bringing in crowds like we have, this is going to become a problem.

Single game GA tickets for the rest of the season run $15, I for one would not pay that to stretch my neck to try to see the game while standing 3 deep on the sideline or endzone.

My theory is that with the current setup, we will never average more than 13,500 at games, no matter how good the team is. Anything more than that, and people will simply not show up to risk standing with an obstructed view.

I know the response-buy season tickets or reserved seating, but that's not a realistic option for a lot of people.

I also know there is not an easy or quick solution to this problem (and I guess its a good problem to have), but the quicker we can get a new stadium built with a cozy capacity of around 20K, the better.
    Good points. Can't argue with any of them.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Why isn't it realistic for people to buy a reserve seat for $20 rather than a GA for $15? Are they all sold out already? If so, that's a great problem.

Comment

I would note that moving the band out of 800 seats on the main grandstand will open more space for students which should improve options for general admission (since student overflow vs. GSU, for example, went into the GA areas.)
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The points are well taken, but...

I don't believe there is any dispute whatsoever about the need to eventually complete a new football stadium with more seats. And a feasibility study is underway as we speak by the administration in this regards. So I'm not sure what discussion is needed on the subject. It will happen...it will happen when it is feasible...the athletic department and the president will push for it to be ASAP...and some of you will be around when it happens (maybe even I will be!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            The points are well taken, but...

I don't believe there is any dispute whatsoever about the need to eventually complete a new football stadium with more seats. And a feasibility study is underway as we speak by the administration in this regards. So I'm not sure what discussion is needed on the subject. It will happen...it will happen when it is feasible...the athletic department and the president will push for it to be ASAP...and some of you will be around when it happens (maybe even I will be!)
            It probably would be more politically correct in conservative South Dakota to refer to it as a long-term renovation project for CAS rather than a "new stadium" but otherwise totally agree. In fact, you could even say that with the scoreboard and the Dykhouse Center that renovation has already begun. The only issue is what comes next. My thought is first a new east grandstand, followed by demolition and replacement of the west grandstand, then perhaps south endzone stands to create a full horseshoe.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              perhaps south endzone stands to create a full horseshoe.
              I think any new stadium should have some berm areas for open seating (a la Kirkeby-Over & the UC-Davis stadium), in part to preserve the 'SRO' aspect of the current facility.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                I think any new stadium should have some berm areas for open seating (a la Kirkeby-Over & the UC-Davis stadium), in part to preserve the 'SRO' aspect of the current facility.
                A good point to consider . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I'd like to see the east and west stands tie into the DC to form an enclosed north side of the stadium with the south side being open towards campus.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    It probably would be more politically correct in conservative South Dakota to refer to it as a long-term renovation project for CAS rather than a "new stadium" but otherwise totally agree. In fact, you could even say that with the scoreboard and the Dykhouse Center that renovation has already begun. The only issue is what comes next. My thought is first a new east grandstand, followed by demolition and replacement of the west grandstand, then perhaps south endzone stands to create a full horseshoe.
                    These are my thoughts as well. The remodel of CAS has begun and I too believe next up should be a new east grandstand. Let's get a price tag on what that would cost and begin the fundraising. I just don't see the totality of what needs to be done to CAS happening all in one phase.

Comment

Why can't they add more stands similar to the one's they currently have across from the grandstand side? Knock out those campers or whatever is back there and add a couple thousand more seats. Just add nother level of 15-20 more rows. It wouldn't be a huge investment and they would or should get a great return on it. They could get some work done before the UNI/ NSDU games. They need to get some more seating in soon. Great problem to have by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackfan2000 View Post
                        Why can't they add more stands similar to the one's they currently have across from the grandstand side? Knock out those campers or whatever is back there and add a couple thousand more seats. Just add nother level of 15-20 more rows. It wouldn't be a huge investment and they would or should get a great return on it. They could get some work done before the UNI/ NSDU games. They need to get some more seating in soon. Great problem to have by the way.
                        While that would work short term (and would definitely be in keeping with the way SDSU was run for roughly the first hundred years of its existence), I don't think Sell & Chicoine have that mindset.

Oddly enough, you could probably find more donors for a more expensive (and comprehensive) solution than for a less expensive one and less comprehensive one (e.g. another set of bleachers).

Also the 'add a bigger E. grandstand' argument ignores the pressing need for luxury boxes. Those represent thousands of dollars in revenue (per game) that SDSU doesn't have available---one luxury box may be equal to a hundred GA tickets, and they're weatherproof.

Comment

Are you going to the SDSU vs. Minnesota game? Tickets for that one game are $50 bucks.

A Ticket to one Vikings game run from like $48 to $135.

SDSU season tickets are $95

The difference between a reserved seat and GA is $5 bucks. Are you kidding me? Spring the extra fiver and have a seat.

Maybe I am wrong but what I hear you saying is that you want to wake up on game day and see what the weather is like before you decide if you are going to the CAS. If it is nice you want to go and you want to sit down. How am I doin?

Comment

Also the 'add a bigger E. grandstand' argument ignores the pressing need for luxury boxes. Those represent thousands of dollars in revenue (per game) that SDSU doesn't have available---one luxury box may be equal to a hundred GA tickets, and they're weatherproof.
                            I'm saving my money already. Improvements are under way. We are darn fortunate that Coach Stig has the program on a such a positive upswing at such a crucial time. I'm pretty sure those in charge are well aware that despite the tough economic times the momentum for fundraising is being bolstered by our success at the highest level. Keep the push going.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

While that would work short term (and would definitely be in keeping with the way SDSU was run for roughly the first hundred years of its existence), I don't think Sell & Chicoine have that mindset.

Oddly enough, you could probably find more donors for a more expensive (and comprehensive) solution than for a less expensive one and less comprehensive one (e.g. another set of bleachers).

I agree completely. Putting in an east grandstand first would ignore the major pressing issue on the other side of the field -- an obsolete, outdated, and worn-out grandstand and pressbox. The next major phase needs to be a first-class west grandstand with some luxury boxes and modern amenities.

Comment

Working...
                              X