• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ill St - Pre Game

Redbirds hosting - anyone going?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/foru...ad.php?t=63931

Re: Ill St - Pre Game

http://www.redbirdfan.com/msgforum/v...hp?f=4&t=12266

Most of their Austin Peay discussion is prep for a Jackrabbit invasion.

It will be a better test for the Jacks than ISU Wood, but don't know how it will match up to quality of Ga Southern.

Jacks will need to win their road MVFC games this year to have a shot at the title. Redbirds is a good place to start.

Comment

Ill. St. is hard to gauge right now. They got beat by E. Illinois 31-6 (didn't E. Illinois beat the Trees 31-0?), scored 17 against Illinois, but got beat up and then beat up Austin Peay.

I recall them being a horrid rush defense team last year, one of the worst in the country. And then of course Berry went out on that frigid day at CAS and threw 7 TD's. They gave up a bunch of yards on the ground to the two Illinois schools and then shut down the Peays.

Their offense appears to be efficient running and passing, but not great. Initial thoughts are the Jacks defense should be able to fare well against them.

The Jacks offense needs to come out this week and smack somebody in the chops and score some points early. Run the ball first to set up the pass = Jacks win.

Comment

They're a conference opponent.

NEVER underestimate a conference opponent--especially at their place.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Truer words have not been spoken here in a long time. Ask NDSU about their last trip to Youngstown
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

they're a conference opponent.

Never underestimate a conference opponent--especially at their place.
            qft!
            Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
            -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

From the "Filbert" of the Redbirds board about the Birds performance vs Austin Peay.

More than anything I thought last night's game was a big win for the spread offense.
              Game 1 - misfire - 6 points,
              Game 2 - good second half - 17 points,
              Game 3 - the offense ignites! - 38 points.

The spread doesn't just happen. You look at all the different formations and personnel packages we run out on the field and you know that this offense has more moving parts that what we're used to seeing. Last night it came together. We had 4-5 receivers running around and someone was open on every play and often times two or more targets were available. We came into the season counting on Salem and he is catching balls but we have lots of other players like Walker and Graves stepping up. These guys aren't real big or real fast. They just run good routes and catch the ball and then hang on when they get hit. We can win with those types. The offense was working so well with the O- Line protecting and the receivers getting open that I was actually disappointed in QB Brown only completing 73% of his passes. Brown hit the short targets but misfired on some longer passes to open receivers. Call me greedy (I am) but we will need those completions against better teams.

The passing game helped open the running game and it could work that way all season. Like Turk, I enjoyed the aggressive forward movement of #2 RB Gordon. Cliffton ran with autthority resulting in 4 TD's on the ground which is something I never would have predicted after the first two games.

And credit the coaching staff for recognizing what was working. Is it a good idea to go for it on fourth and two? If the offense is working it is.
              After the first two games I was hoping that Coach Farmer still had his belongings in a POD. It's safe for him to move into a house now

Defensively the Redbirds were equally impressive but on the D-side I thought it was more of a victory by the players than the system. Our front seven won this time because they were just too quick, aggressive and determined. The stocky front line of the "P" couldn't handle them. Paul Wright is the right person in the middle to make this defense work. He represents the better parts of our defense - undersized but athletic and relentless. Wright, Hemphill and Phelps shouldn't come off the field. The rest of the team should be rotated to keep people fresh. I noticed Austin Davis limping around on the sideline. That would be a blow if he misses the next game. We could plug in Kociuba or Trujillo or maybe Howe who had a very impressive sack. It was a great night for the men from Marian Catholic - (Gordon, Howe).

I think we're ready for another tough test. We'll get one against SDSU. The team has learned the spread but now they have to make it work against a team that can apply pressure to the QB and tighter coverage on the receivers. We won't score 38 against SDSU but we're not going back to 6 points either.
              Defense - just take a deep breath and get ready for a four-quarter blitzkrieg. SDSU lit us up last year and they'll try it again. This is starting to look like the team Coaches Spack, Elmassian and Farmer envisioned when they took over. The SDSU game will be much closer this time.

(yes-guilty of cut/paste from the Redbirds fans board) *blush*

Comment

From TV twitter - connected to the Birds News clips.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/art...cc4c002e0.html

The Ill St vs Austin Peay write-up.

Comment

It sounds like this could be an interesting match up for the Jacks. If they are quick and decisive throwing out of the spread then it could negate our passrush ability to a great extent. Then it'll be up to the LBs and DBs to hold up and not allow big plays down the field.

This will be a great test for a potentially great defensive unit. I'll be waiting to see how this comes out.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

We will need another strong performance. We come out slow like we did against Ind. St. and we'll dig ourselves a hole. I'm confident in Crawford and the run game but turnovers can happen at any time and I'm not sure where we are at with the kickers. I guess I expect Peter to be back at #1. We can't afford to miss FG's early against Ill. St.

A spread offense isn't going to intimidate our defense, they'll be ready. The Ill St. QB better wear his scrambling shoes.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      We will need another strong performance. We come out slow like we did against Ind. St. and we'll dig ourselves a hole. I'm confident in Crawford and the run game but turnovers can happen at any time and I'm not sure where we are at with the kickers. I guess I expect Peter to be back at #1. We can't afford to miss FG's early against Ill. St.

A spread offense isn't going to intimidate our defense, they'll be ready. The Ill St. QB better wear his scrambling shoes.
                      Pete will be back as the #1 FG and extra point man this week. The fact that we already had a game agains the spread offense (GSU) has got to help.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                      X