Nebraska Smack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nebraska Smack

I was approached today and was told that Nebraska was buying out the game next year!

Anyone else heard this?

Re: Nebraska????

This is contrary to what we been hearing offically. The game is suppose to be on.

Comment

This is at least the 4th time this rumor has hit the board and everytime TV asks it turns out to be a rumor.

Comment

I'm hoping the still goes on as planned. I live only about an hour away or so from Lincoln and would love for that to be my first Nebraska game.

Comment

I also really hope this is just a rumor, as I have a line on descent tickets from my wife's company which has a presence in Omaha.

They offered her tickets to a game last year when she was down there for training, and she turned them down but said that she would put in an early bid for tickets to the SDSU game in 2010. Not surprisingly they were fine with that, as this game is just a paid tune-up for the Huskers, but a big deal for the Jackrabbits.

I will be sad if I can't go because silly Nebraska tries to reneg on the deal.
          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Osborn and Pellini have both been quoted as saying that they don't think games against FCS programs are consistent with their mission to play the best possible non-conference schedule. That said, who are they going to get in Lincoln for as little as they have to pay us and with a guarantee that they will win?

I've heard this rumor since the day Peterson (the old A.D.) was fired and Osborn stepped in. I still haven't seen anything official. I guess I won't be surprised if they do buy us out. I hope we negotiated for a big check.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
              I was approached today and was told that Nebraska was buying out the game next year!

Anyone else heard this?
              Approached by whom? Not asking for a name, but your roommate, someone affiliated with UNL, etc. With nothing more than what you have provided, I would not change my thoughts in the least about whether it will be played. UNL may buy it out, depends on what they have else to choose from. That is the same as it is with any FBS game.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I don't think Nebraska is in a situation, yet, where they can overlook these types of games. They haven't won a big game in 10 years. I think they probably need to get off their high horse and play the game. Or, they could schedule a game against a quality opponent like USC...oh, nevermind.

Sorry for the hint of smack...just think they need to realize that it's not the 90's anymore and they've been rebuilding for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                  Approached by whom? Not asking for a name, but your roommate, someone affiliated with UNL, etc. With nothing more than what you have provided, I would not change my thoughts in the least about whether it will be played. UNL may buy it out, depends on what they have else to choose from. That is the same as it is with any FBS game.

A person who works at the University and is in the know. That is all I have!
                  Last edited by RabbitNation; 09-21-2009, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Anyone else heard this?

I find this hard to believe. It's such a classy program in the way it recruits that it's just unfathomable that they would back out of a signed contract. Oh, wait a minute, I forgot about that night-before-signing phone call last year.....

Comment

A person who works at the University and is in the know. I would say reliable source to him this.
                      Yoda is that you?

Comment

A person who works at the University and is in the know. I would say reliable source to him this.
                        I like this forum and I like most of the info here but I don't like speculation from a poster who has 3 or 4 posts to his or her name. It doesn't mean the information isn't accurate but it can lead to reaction that isn't necessarily productive. If someone has information from an SDSU source that this is true then let's discuss it further. If you joined the forum just to post this info I'd appreciate more information about your source. Maybe that is just me though.

I don't personally mind if they buy out, I've got access to great tickets in Lincoln but I'd be happy to see SDSU take the money and find another game. I wouldn't lose any more respect for UNL, that just wouldn't be possible.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if it was true.... but don't you think if Nebraska would of bought it out they would of done so last spring? Now I don't know what type of a contract it is... do they have to pay the entire contract or is there a buy-out fee in the contract? I would just think if it was true that Nebraska and/or SDSU would have gone public.... SDSU to cry foul and say that Nebraska is afraid of them and Nebraska to say hey we ain't playin any push over games anymore....

Comment

In Terry V's twitter the rumor is officially debunked again.The game is still on.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              I wouldn't lose any more respect for UNL, that just wouldn't be possible.

I think there are people in the Nebraska AD's office that want this game canceled, and I think they're very vocal about it.

But they're not going to get their way.

If SDSU's buyout means paying the full amount of the guarantee, and Nebraska has to pay an FBS team to come to Memorial Stadium you're looking at what? In the neighborhood of a million bucks for a single game (figure $350k for SDSU, c $500k for a respectable FBS team that has to fly out)?

BTW: aside from Virginia Tech, I think SDSU has a tougher non-conf schedule than Nebraska this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X