Pk Riefenrath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pk Riefenrath?

What happened to Riefenrath? Did he lose the job or something?

Re: Pk Riefenrath?

Apparently didn't have enough credit for academic progress requirements. A waiver has been requested, and should be ruled on later this week.

Comment

Apparently he is not at the required number of credits toward his degree (or something like that). It sounds like a couple of things fell through some cracks and the end result is that he is short. SDSU has filed a request for a waiver from the NCAA and the soonest they can hear on that is tomorrow (Wednesday). Also, my understanding is GPA is not an issue at all for him. But at the moment he is not eligible and so Harris has all the kicking duties.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

This is the biggest load of crap ever. About 8 people dropped the ball and robbed this kid (nevermind all-conference player) of a season through no fault of his own. Someone better be on the receiving end of some major chewing out right now.

Comment

its a technical issue..... its not his fault, if anyone its his advisors fault..... could be caused to numerous issues. I've heard of it happenings because of credits taken during the summer not transfering or so on....

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
            This is the biggest load of crap ever. About 8 people dropped the ball and robbed this kid (nevermind all-conference player) of a season through no fault of his own. Someone better be on the receiving end of some major chewing out right now.
            Its not as if the rules were not explained to him more than once. No doubt in my mind they were. If I recall the first day practice was spent going over NCAA regulations. If he dropped courses or did not take sufficient courses, then thats it kind of hard to blame the staff. To quickly blame the staff, might be a rush to judgement.

This is not the first time he has missed a game. Seems like last year he broke some team rules and sat because of that. In my mind its an SA problem. I would expect our SA not to have these kind of problems and they most likely would not if they were paying attention to their own academic progress. You might get away with blaming a facutly advisor at BHSU, but not at SDSU.

The guy is pushing 21 and does not need to have his hands held nor does he need a daddy at SDSU, if he does then he is at the wrong place. No matter what his potential, Riefenrath needs to start controlling his own destiny. Its easy to blame the staff, but I personally feel they should not be parents nor should they have to hold anyone's hand.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 09-15-2009, 06:34 PM.

Comment

What a shame, especially for a kid that was all MVFC last season. I hope he get's his act together, but if Harris continues to do well, he may have a tough time getting his job back.

Comment

I have talked to Pete about this. I can't say anything more about it, but I will say that he's an outstanding student and a really fine young man.

My guess, and it's only a guess: His eligibility will be restored, possibly tomorrow.
                Last edited by JimmyJack; 09-15-2009, 07:56 PM.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by DoublePar View Post
                  What a shame, especially for a kid that was all MVFC last season. I hope he get's his act together, but if Harris continues to do well, he may have a tough time getting his job back.

I agree. If Harris continues to kick as well as he did Saturday Peter may not have a job to come back to. It was a great situation for Kyle to be ready when called on. I wish the best for Peter as he a member of our Jackrabbit family. But Kudos to Harris for steffing up.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Its not as if the rules were not explained to him more than once. No doubt in my mind they were. If I recall the first day practice was spent going over NCAA regulations. If he dropped courses or did not take sufficient courses, then thats it kind of hard to blame the staff. To quickly blame the staff, might be a rush to judgement.

This is not the first time he has missed a game. Seems like last year he broke some team rules and sat because of that. In my mind its an SA problem. I would expect our SA not to have these kind of problems and they most likely would not if they were paying attention to their own academic progress. You might get away with blaming a facutly advisor at BHSU, but not at SDSU.

The guy is pushing 21 and does not need to have his hands held nor does he need a daddy at SDSU, if he does then he is at the wrong place. No matter what his potential, Riefenrath needs to start controlling his own destiny. Its easy to blame the staff, but I personally feel they should not be parents nor should they have to hold anyone's hand.
                    training rules and NCAA rules are 2 totally different things.... when BHSU lost there QB a week before the season it was because of a faculty member didn't know what they were doing..... The point I'm getting at is that when you are an athlete they are given an advisor and everything is ran through there department and they should of spotted this.... now if you are flunking out its one thing but if its because you are 2 credits short and the only reason you are is because your advisor said you only have to 12 credits a semester instead of 13 I don't know how you can blame the kid....

In other words the situation should of never happened because somebody should of spotted it...

Comment

I know two people who had their college education prolonged because their adviser wasn't up to scratch. It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        training rules and NCAA rules are 2 totally different things.... when BHSU lost there QB a week before the season it was because of a faculty member didn't know what they were doing..... The point I'm getting at is that when you are an athlete they are given an advisor and everything is ran through there department and they should of spotted this.... now if you are flunking out its one thing but if its because you are 2 credits short and the only reason you are is because your advisor said you only have to 12 credits a semester instead of 13 I don't know how you can blame the kid....

In other words the situation should of never happened because somebody should of spotted it...
                        Wrong. Academic advising and NCAA Division I compliance are entirely different and separate activities. Student athletes at SDSU have an academic advisor in their major department. Those advisors deal with institutional, Board of Regents, and college graduation requirements, not NCAA compliance issues. If you're talking about NCAA progress-towards-graduation issues, obviously those aren't handled by academic advisors. Where are compliance checks done? That happens in the compliance office of the athletic department.

It's possible to be entirely in good standing institutionally and not in good standing according to NCAA compliance requirements. Two entirely different standards.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

JJ is right...and it's been stated numerous times, that somebody screwed up. You can bet discussion has been held on that in the department, so why are we seeing things about Reifenrath being responsible, or somebody should have their head chopped off?? If the mistake was a rational one, the NCAA will undoubtedly accept the waiver request.

And as for his job, I have little doubt myself that Peter will be kicking our field goals if he gets the waiver. Harris has a stronger leg, and does the kickoffs and did last year. Peter has had better accuracy and so he kicked the field goals, last year and will IMHO do so again this year if the waiver is approved. In the meantime, it is great to know we have a second FG kicker (and QB) in the wings!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            I have talked to Pete about this. I can't say anything more about it, but I will say that he's an outstanding student and a really fine young man.

My guess, and it's only a guess: His eligibility will be restored, possibly tomorrow.
                            I noticed he was a journalism major so I would think he is pretty bright kid and a darn good place kicker. I do hope this all can be worked out. I dont know the facts here, but I dont believe in quickly blaming the staff until the facts are known.

Comment

I learned early on in college that while they are great people and resource, counting on advisors can get a person into trouble. I hope that this incident gets the attention of all the players and compels them to take a little more of a hands on approach to what is happening with their education.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X