Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to the Jackrabbits...

JMOfartO:

Well, I'm an old guy, and not much surprises me, but I was tremendously surprised this morning when I heard my neighbors rooster crowing suggesting the possibility that the sun might actually come up after the devastating whipping your Jackrabbits laid on our GSU Eagles last night..

Well, the sun did come up, but I can guarantee you the world as seen through the average (or rabid) GSU Eagle fan will never look the same again..

We don't take losing very well, and it's been so long since we absolutely got blown out on all aspects of a football game that its still hard to comprehend..

But last night our 2009 Eagles looked like amateurs playing against pros, and it's gonna take a long, long time for the distaste of losing in such a manner to recede.. If ever..

I'm guessing your SDSU Jackrabbits are just that much better than we anticipated, and I believe you folks are in for a pleasant year.. This GSU fan wishes you all the success in the world for the remainder of the season.

I would suggest that Coach Hatcher, and our AD (Sam Baker) is going to be roundly criticized with many fans calling for both their heads. Our forum will be calling for the return of the fabled "triple option" and there will be unrest and disharmony by the natives for a good while.

But I believe in the end most of the true GSU Eagle fans will just try to pick up our lost pride from last nights debacle and support our young men in future games.

This serious butt-whipping COULD be a blessing in disguise to some degree. It SHOULD be a wake up call to our Coaches and team that we are in serious need of improvement, and we will soon find out if our guys have the heart to get up off the ground, regroup and do a little butt-whipping of our own.

I think they will do just that..

At least the loss was not in conference, and when you are seriously looking for a "bright side" that's about as "bright" as it gets this morning.

Hey, my wife, son and dog still love me, so I'll just take comfort in that, and thank you Jack fans for the four game rivalry we have enjoyed... I'm willing to bet that the GSU Eagles will never schedule the Jacks again, and I hate that.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Re: Congratulations to the Jackrabbits...

Thanks, PX. Lots of GSU fans here.

I hope your fans can keep an eye on the big picture as you suggest. GSU has a lot of talented, but very young, players. The spread offense can work. But it shouldn't surprise anybody that when a very young team goes on the road against an experienced, ranked, and very physical team, bad things can happen.

I fully expect GSU to be back in contention in the SoCon and nationally before too long. And I'll be rooting for the Eagles.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Thanks Jesse. Its got to be tough to rebuild after changing coaches like what happened at GSU. I heard 3 changes in 17 months. You lose staff you lose recruits and heaven who knows what. I personally think bringing Hatchher in was a good move. He needs some time to right the ship. Talk is cheap especially when its a fan who wants to see a coach fired.

I am an old guy too, but I do think you have some great kids and a good coach. I hope the adminstration is willing to give both your AD and coach a chance. I dont know all the details about the past at GSU, but apparently there were problems when the coaching changes started to happen, and the coaching changes alone can literally destroy a very good program. SDSU was a power in Men's bb at the D2 level and we have had nothing but problems in the transistion period. Thank goodness we have kept the same coach who can win, but the transition was a big step. We are about to make that step this coming year.

The win was sweet, and everyone played good ball for SDSU, but I would love to play GSU again in two years, but not likely to happen for other reasons. I dont think the score will be 44-6 next time maybe 44 to 46. Your speed at sweeping the ends on defense is a good strategy. Some of those guys need a little more experience and they will have everyone cheering soon. Sun came up here in Arlington South Dakota too, so how about those apples.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. About the only shortcoming for SDSU was the band last night. But that's being pretty picky. (Seriously, though...did the band seem substandard. OK, wrong thread.)
        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

[QUOTE=Nidaros

The win was sweet, and everyone played good ball for SDSU, but I would love to play GSU again in two years, but not likely to happen for other reasons. I dont think the score will be 44-6 next time maybe 44 to 46. Your speed at sweeping the ends on defense is a good strategy. Some of those guys need a little more experience and they will have everyone cheering soon. Sun came up here in Arlington South Dakota too, so how about those apples.[/QUOTE]

Nid:

Just from what I've heard, and read on our forum, our Coaches and athletic department doesn't think a "home and home" between GSU/SDSU makes much sense for GSU. (Or SDSU I'm sure).. With the economy in the dumpster it makes little sense, beyond seeing a good football game (usually), between friendly rivals, because of the travel expense every other year, and loss of revenue at the gate because neither of our schools have many fans that can make the trips between Ga/SD..

For example, next season our first game is with Savannah State, a school which I think has NEVER come close to beating us, but is located in nearby Savannah (65 miles) and brings a large fan base with them when the games are in Statesboro... More fans in the seats, more money..

Probably the only chance we have of seeing our respective teams on the same field again is in the National Championship game, and just from what I saw last night your guys would be there YEARS before our Eagles might be.

So, your guys gave our guys a wakeup call last night, and now we just have to see if our young athletes have the character to get up off the floor, (and that whipping was the floor) and do better.

I'm a diehard fan.. I love my Eagles, win, lose, or draw... But winning is definitely better..

Jackrabbit fans, you are indeed a classy bunch and I wish your team only success....

Best Wishes,

Jesse

Comment

PX:
            What you said about reasons for not playing in the future are the same as what was said during the week. I guess my wishful thinking was running wild this morning when the suggestion of future play was made. Somehow I enjoy watching a program rebuilding and coaches who can take losing programs and turn them into winners. No disrespect to my good friend Coach Stiglemiere, but his rebuild had been very gradual and certain and its taken time. If we could have hung onto our good assistants, we might have been there last year, but this year does seem bright based on last night's game.

Comment

Working...
            X