First Game Reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Game Reflections

1) We have made great strides in recruiting speed.
    2) Few penalties for a first game ... terrific job in being prepared.
    3) Crawford was good. His big tests are coming.
    4) It was good that O'Brien got some time under center. Great pass and great catch for TD.
    5) Our kicking game is back.
    6) First time I've ever heard the band admonished by a referee.
    7) Our defense will keep us in every game this year.
    8) Nice improvement with the band on field as the team came out.
    9) As much as I like what the Dykhouse Center means to the football program, I still miss the trees.
    10) Great days are ahead.

Re: First Game Reflections

O'Brien showed me something when, after missing Kavanaugh when he first came open on that TD play, he found a way to get it to him by putting it up high where Kavanaugh was the only one who could catch it. And he made that throw under pressure off his back foot. And how about that catch by Kavanaugh? Guy's got good hands.

Crawford was nearly flawless. He was accurate, for the most part. He made plays with his feet, buying time or gaining yards. And he threw it away when there was nothing there.

You really couldn't ask for much more. And it's those last two things (making plays with his feet, and throwing it away) that are the intangibles that you couldn't count on a freshman to do.

Tougher tests are a few weeks away, so I look for the coaches to use these games to test Craw's limits and give O'Brien some quality snaps.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It was impressive how O'Brien feathered that ball in the back of the end zone. His strength has been the gun he has for an arm,but he showed great touch on that throw. But,if Crawford continues to play like he did last night,it will be tough for any of the other QB's to see much action.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        It was impressive how O'Brien feathered that ball in the back of the end zone. His strength has been the gun he has for an arm,but he showed great touch on that throw. But,if Crawford continues to play like he did last night,it will be tough for any of the other QB's to see much action.
        I guess Crawford answered the question concerning Coach Stig's choice for a starting QB.

Another comment from pre-game posts was that a team makes the most significant improvements between game #1 and game #2. Look out next week!

Penalties were a not factor. None of those first game mistakes that can kill a team to start the year. Coaching staff really had the kids well prepared for all phases of the game. Our defense bent a little but did not break.

Georgia Southern is a great football program. I am not sure they a great football team this year? What I do know is the Jacks looked awesome last night.

GBGBGJ

Comment

I really got to give props to Ryan Crawford....he played an outstanding game. He made plays when he had to and also threw the ball away when their was nothing there. The game was a lot of fun. The defense also played great. The only question I have is.....Why didn't they try any short flare passes to the running backs....that seemed to be effective last year.

Comment

Originally posted by kdybdahl View Post
            I really got to give props to Ryan Crawford....he played an outstanding game. He made plays when he had to and also threw the ball away when their was nothing there. The game was a lot of fun. The defense also played great. The only question I have is.....Why didn't they try any short flare passes to the running backs....that seemed to be effective last year.
            Maybe because of the speed GSU has on defense? Total guess.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              Maybe because of the speed GSU has on defense? Total guess.
              I would agree as GSU swept the ends very effectively, and with a little more experience GSU going to have some good defense. I am thinking we did have one of those passes and it was completed but barely. We stayed away from the picks pretty good and that is progress in my mind. I sure felt frustration listening to the SDSU-WIU game that went into four overtimes and Berry had four picks of which one of them being a game ending play. I wasn't at the game, so dont recall the radio description as to who the intended target was, it might have been RB Koenig. So I think they really have to be more selective of when and who we run this play against.

These flare pass plays have been working as far back as when Josh Ronek was playing and really worked when the opponent stacked the line for a run play. No doubt its a good play but maybe not against GSU even with their inexperienced but quick defensive ends and the line was not stacked like we saw in the NCC against Ronek.

My over all comment about the game:
              I think its a challange to make two deep and to hold your position. We have not been like that for years. I feel good about that and will until injuries start taking their toll.

Comment

Relative to GSU, Jacks were quicker, stronger, and just down-right meaner. Crawford played very smartly, like the 5th yr senior he is. His throw aways to avoid losses, his field awareness to stay behind the LOS on one of the three scrambles then pass he used to advance the sticks were the thought process that got him the starting QB role.

The O-line gave GREAT pass protection, and were earning the RB's 3 yds before they were at the linesmen battle ground.

The D knew 85% of the time what GSU was going to do, and looked like they pwned the Eagle O. The D, especially healthy, will lead this team this year.

The next two games, should make the GSU game look competitive. Looks like we should get lots of opportunities to get the non-starters reps in the next two games.

Comment

I cannot believe how much time I have wasted today reading posts on AGS, GSU, and Bisonville.

Last evening's game was very satisfying.

One game at a time: next up--don't let Indiana State break its streak.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    I cannot believe how much time I have wasted today reading posts on AGS, GSU, and Bisonville.

The most recent poll over at bisonville (Which remaining games do we have a chance to win?) is very interesting. It's all emotion-driven right now, of course. My favorite was by a guy who said SDSU would beat the Bioson because "they'll throw for 600 yards." I cannot lie; it made me laugh.

Great game by Crawford. There will be times we need to be more vertical, but he was pretty mobile and, when there was trouble, he tossed the ball way out of bounds. No interceptions! It's been a while before we've been able to say that after a season opener. A good game in all aspects for the Jacks.
                    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

The Jacks maybe wanted to save some of the things in our arsenal? We had the game under control so lets not show our next opponent the entire play book. Maybe GS was taking that away from us? I do suspect we will see the little flair to Kyle and Tyler in the future. It should really be a strenght of Kyle Minette to get him the ball with some open field in front of him.

Last comment: I was very pleased with our field goals, extra points and our kick offs. Kyle Harris really stepped up for the Jacks.

GBGBGJ

Comment

The one thing I would say about Crawford is that he did well and almost always was accurate. The one very errant throw on a 3rd and 1 - was the only real poor throw I can remember. I do think though that Crawford was able to throw to his primary receiver most of the time - this isn't a knock because if receiver 1 is open you throw it to that player. I'm just saying that the real test of his play will come later when a defense takes more things away and we can then see his ability to find other receivers - including the backs out of the backfield.

It was a perfect fall evening - I can't wait for the Beef Bowl.
                        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

I agree JackrabbitGuy. Crawford almost never had to "look off" a receiver. He was able lock in to a receiver and deliver the ball. Just as you said, if he's open there's nothing wrong with that. However, it seemed like he telegraphed throws. Obviously he played well so it's hard to criticize. I also agree that we'll really be able to evaluate after teams start taking away the primary reciever.

Comment

Does anyone know what kind of injury kept Joseph Blackman on the sidelines for the first game and if he will back for this weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

Can't blame you for spending time on those boards after SDSU pounded Georgia Southern Saturday night. Congratulations from this Fighting Sioux fans on a terrific performance. Good luck the rest of the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X