This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPD Presence at Georgia Southern game

First of all, those in our group had a great time and never had any problems with UPD nor should they have had any problems with our group.

Is it just me or did it seem like their presence was a bit over the top? I would always vote that it is wise to have enough security on hand but that was too much. Now, I never saw any problems that they had to attend to so it seemed like a well behaved crowd.

I did have a major problem with the UPD car that tore out of the tailgate area at high speed with full lights and horns. Whover was driving just about lost it when they went out onto the road on the west side of the tailgate area. I'm not sure what they were responding to but I sincerely hope it was something very serious to decide to start driving like a maniac in a lot full of people.

Does anyone else know what happened that they were responding to? Am I overreacting?

That was the only unfortunate part of a very good night at CAS.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: UPD Presence at Georgia Southern game

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

Is it just me or did it seem like their presence was a bit over the top? I would always vote that it is wise to have enough security on hand but that was too much. Now, I never saw any problems that they had to attend to so it seemed like a well behaved crowd.

SUPERBUNNY
    I've known and do still know some people that smoke weed.

One thing I've noticed about most potheads, is that they are VERY paranoid of any cops in the area.

Are you a pothead?

(jk of course, I realize you're probably not a pothead...but seriously, I don't understand why people are SO paranoid of police presence.)

It seems like people go out of their way to notice if cops are around or not. On a side note, I was in the tailgate area for a couple hours and only saw one patrol of 2 UPD officers walk by.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
      I've known and do still know some people that smoke weed.

One thing I've noticed about most potheads, is that they are VERY paranoid of any cops in the area.

Are you a pothead?

(jk of course, I realize you're probably not a pothead...but seriously, I don't understand why people are SO paranoid of police presence.)

It seems like people go out of their way to notice if cops are around or not. On a side note, I was in the tailgate area for a couple hours and only saw one patrol of 2 UPD officers walk by.
      My big problem was with the way the UPD car took off out of the lot. I said in my post that we didn't give them any reason to worry about us.

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

First of all, those in our group had a great time and never had any problems with UPD nor should they have had any problems with our group.

I did have a major problem with the UPD car that tore out of the tailgate area at high speed with full lights and horns. Whover was driving just about lost it when they went out onto the road on the west side of the tailgate area. I'm not sure what they were responding to but I sincerely hope it was something very serious to decide to start driving like a maniac in a lot full of people.
        Does anyone else know what happened that they were responding to? Am I overreacting?

SUPERBUNNY
        I saw that too and it was terrible. The guy basically did a power slide as he took the corner and threw dust up all over the place. With all the kids running around that could have easily been very, very bad. Also agree that the presence was pretty over the top. I don't know how many times I saw police cars driving by the road next to our camp. Do they really need squad cars going around the lots? I really think a few policmen on golf carts would be plenty good.

Comment

Maybe there was a reason there seemed to be so many. So just enjoy and be thankful they are around. Better to have too many than not one when you need one.
          MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
          http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
          http://gojacks.com

Comment

It could have been nerves with the first game of the year and they didn't know what to expect. It might calm down for the second game. It all depends on if they think the crowd was calm enough to not need the added patrols.
            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Well there still seem to be a few UPD people left to check the pockets of my jacket as I went through the turn-style. I guess my jacket I was carrying looked kind of lumpy and it was only a pair of gloves, but who knows its could have been a gun or a half pint. Heck they were just doing their job. I just went on my merry way and bought me three two dollar Nicks hamburgers and found my seat. Thank god I dont tailgate or I would be parnoid too. I guess in some minds its only illegal if you get caught. You fill in the illegality.

Comment

Being in law enforcement I know every department has one or two officers, agents that take the job a little too serious. We have an agent with the pendant(?) to be a little over the top. He was clocked by another police dept. going 120 in an unmarked car saying he was trying to catch up to another vehicle he wanted to check out, no light or siren. He also has been known to go around 130 in a marked vehicle for no apparent reason.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                  He also has been known to go around 130 in a marked vehicle for no apparent reason.
                  You mean penchant, not pendant.

I hada County Mounty do this to me the other day. I was going the speed limit and he flew by me like I was standing still. No lights, no siren. Unfortunate that some have to power trip because they can.

Uncle Ben (Not the rice guy) said it best, "With great power comes great responsibility"

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                    Being in law enforcement I know every department has one or two officers, agents that take the job a little too serious. We have an agent with the pendant(?) to be a little over the top. He was clocked by another police dept. going 120 in an unmarked car saying he was trying to catch up to another vehicle he wanted to check out, no light or siren. He also has been known to go around 130 in a marked vehicle for no apparent reason.
                    You mean there really are Barney Fifes out there? .

Comment

I did have a major problem with the UPD car that tore out of the tailgate area at high speed with full lights and horns. Whover was driving just about lost it when they went out onto the road on the west side of the tailgate area. I'm not sure what they were responding to but I sincerely hope it was something very serious to decide to start driving like a maniac in a lot full of peopl

SUPERBUNNY
                      It was a great time at the old ball park yesterday and last night. Great weather, great tailgating and capped off by a great win by our Jacks.

My position with the UPD is the more the safer. If your not doing anything wrong there should be no worries mait.

GBGBGJ

Comment

I saw the UPD around and I think the "The Backyard will close in 17 minutes. The Back Yard will close in 16 minutes" announcements are a bit silly, but I had no problems. Didn't see the incident others spoke about. Hopefully ol' Barn only has one bullet on him when he acts like that. Anyhow, it was a PERFECT night to tailgate. Wow. Hope for a repeat next week. Stig's "get to the game announcement" doesn't work very well with the Dykhouse Center. We'll have to invest in a big screen to put on the north side of the center for that annoucement. And, you know, to show other college games. That would be pretty dang sweet, but probably isn't too high on the list just now.
                        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I saw the event you are speaking about. Looked like a chase scene from the Dukes of Hazard. Ridiculous considering the amount of pedestrians in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by OtownJack View Post
                            I saw the event you are speaking about. Looked like a chase scene from the Dukes of Hazard. Ridiculous considering the amount of pedestrians in the area.

Also saw the incident. Pretty stupid to be driving that fast through and out of the tailgate area. I hope his supervisor told him to slow down...i hope it wasn't the supervisor.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I assume the UPD, working the the administration in general, wanted to have a notceable presence the first game to set a tone for the year so I'll cut them some slack. However, I tend to be in the camp that (geez, this will draw the ire of some) it is possible to have too much law enforcement in some cases.

I was standing about 20 feet from the car (I was near the Alumni Assoc tent with my wife and a couple of friends) with the spinning tires etc and I was alarmed about whether there were any kids in its path.

I could provide some references to court cases in which police officers -- perhaps well meaning and wanting the tear after the bad guys -- have caused terrible injuries and death to perfectly innocent people. I think the choice was clear on Saturday: if there was some emergency, they should move out as quickly as the circumstances permit but in my opinion, the circumstances did not permit the speed and manner in which the cop exited the tailgate area. Bad judgment shown.

(Now, before anyone says I'm some softie on crime etc., you should first ask me about my involvement in years past with volunteering time to assist in law enforcement training programs particularly those focused on driving while under the influence.)

Comment

Working...
                              X