Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU breaks season ticket record

GoJacks.com:
    In anticipation of the 2009 Jackrabbit football season, South Dakota State fans broke the school's all-time season ticket sales record at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

In addition to selling 1,000 new season tickets over the past two years, Jackrabbit Football has reached an all-time number of 1,911 for the upcoming season.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: SDSU breaks season ticket record

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    That's great and sad all at the same time. Less than 1,000 season tickets just 2 years ago? Glad to see the numbers increasing like they are.

Comment

This has amazed me too. I guess I'll just chalk it up to part of the changing culture surrounding SDSU Athletics since moving to DI.
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

People are increasingly getting the message that, with 12,000 or so others heading for the games, you're going to need a season ticket to assure yourself of a good seat.

At the same time, my amateur research suggests that the team's success and word-of-mouth about the fun to be had at the games has broadened the audience somewhat. A neighbor of mine who works at Larson Manufacturing is a good example. He didn't go to State, but is a sports fan. He and his wife, having heard the games are fun, tried one out a couple of years ago. They're now season ticket holders. I've heard that same story over and over. And that's without much marketing. With that in mind, I have an extra pair of season tickets this year that I'm going to dole out to friends and acquaintances who I think just might get hooked if they'd just give it a try.

Football Saturdays are the best show in town, and people are starting to figure that out.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Success breeds success, and big crowds breed bigger crowds.

It's kind of a snowball effect, and it's rolling in the right direction right now.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Let's see, 2000 season tickets at $150 a pop is $300,000 of revenue to juice the coffers before the season ever begins. Hopefully they can continue to add to this number, would be great to have a base of 4-5,000 to start the season every year. $750,000 in season ticket money to go along with the $300,000 or so from FBS guarantee money would be huge for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
              Let's see, 2000 season tickets at $150 a pop is $300,000 of revenue to juice the coffers before the season ever begins. Hopefully they can continue to add to this number, would be great to have a base of 4-5,000 to start the season every year. $750,000 in season ticket money to go along with the $300,000 or so from FBS guarantee money would be huge for the program.
              Season ticke price this year was $95 dollars plus 5 for the handling even 100 so we get only $200,000 from season tickets THIS YEAR. I dont think the SDSU season ticket has ever been priced at $150. Maybe it should and will in the future, but not in past years or currently.

Otherwise I will not argue with your math, and its impact on the football budget which is costly compared to the other sports offered at SDSU. No doubt the guarenteed games are needed. I hope we can go to Nebraska and beat our 1963 score of 56 to 7 at least and maybe do as well as UND did in Lubbuck Texas. A win this year against Minnesota would be sweet too.

Comment

Still many people feel they would rather just walk-up and buy a ticket on gameday. I guess when you are able to purchase a GA seat and stand at the fence with a great view it breeds that kind of mentality. I'm wondering with that many season tickets sold if they are selling seats where the band normally sits? When asked if the band was moving to the south side which it seems most agree they should be Justin Sell side stepped the issue which says nothing has been decided or negotiations are continuing? To me it's a no brainer if your trying to sell more premium seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Season ticke price this year was $95 dollars plus 5 for the handling even 100 so we get only $200,000 from season tickets THIS YEAR. I dont think the SDSU season ticket has ever been priced at $150. Maybe it should and will in the future, but not in past years or currently.

Otherwise I will not argue with your math, and its impact on the football budget which is costly compared to the other sports offered at SDSU. No doubt the guarenteed games are needed. I hope we can go to Nebraska and beat our 1963 score of 56 to 7 at least and maybe do as well as UND did in Lubbuck Texas. A win this year against Minnesota would be sweet too.
                  I think he meant the $50 dontation you need to make with each season ticket purchase (which is $100 donation if you want sections F or G) which would make each ticket cost $150 (or $200 for section F or G).

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    I think he meant the $50 dontation you need to make with each season ticket purchase (which is $100 donation if you want sections F or G) which would make each ticket cost $150 (or $200 for section F or G).
                    That is correct, that's why I quoted $150.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      That is correct, that's why I quoted $150.
                      Thanks I was not thinking about including a donation.

Comment

Good story in today's (Sunday, 9-6 print edition) of the Rapid City Journal on the uptick in SDSU football ticket sales. It was fairly long...and pretty much a PR piece. The Athletic Department couldn't have asked for anything more...aside from the front page of sports. But there was lots of advertising in that story. Some good press out west.

On a not-really-related note, there seems to be more USD gear for sale out here than SDSU. Now, that could be because the SDSU stuff has been snatched up already. I'm not sure. But Kohl's had NO SDSU men's gear out here...and they have in the past. They had some USD caps and one shirt. And by one, I don't mean one type of shirt, I mean ONE. But there were ZERO SDSU men's shirts. There was some Jacks gear in the women's department, including some sweatpants. Sheel's had a fair amount of stuff from each team, including a sweet high-end hoodie (both SDSU and USD). Amount of gear was a bit in USD's favor, I would guess, although not by a ton. USD's stuff had a better display area. Not a whole lot at Gordman's, but more USD options than SDSU options. It's kind of surprising, because I have to believe there are more SDSU grads out here than USD...especially in the general West River area if not in downtown Rapid City.
                        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

It may well be that the SDSU moves faster and is already almost sold out. I understand that tends to be the case at Sheels in Sioux Falls. SDSU stuff sells and USD stuff tends to stay on the shelf longer. Nest time you are in the store ask and see if you get that answer.

Comment

Yes, ask...make it known to the stores that if they carry more SDSU stuff, they'll sell it.

Comment

Rapid City Journal story http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...8360538099.txt

Comment

Working...
                              X