Bisonville FCS vs FBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bisonville FCS vs FBS

Over on Bisonville once again some posters are lobbying to move up to an FBS Conference. I would first think they might want to show they can compete on a consistent basis in the FCS, but more importantly can someone enlighten me as to what the appeal there is for being in the FBS classification for schools not BCS? I think even if you have an undefeated season your bound for a bowl nobody cares about. IMHO, I think as long as this shameless, polictical bowl system is in place I would prefer the playoff format system of the FCS where the true champion is determined on the field.

Re: Bisonville FCS vs FBS

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Over on Bisonville once again some posters are lobbying to move up to an FBS Conference. I would first think they might want to show they can compete on a consistent basis in the FCS, but more importantly can someone enlighten me as to what the appeal there is for being in the FBS classification for schools not BCS? I think even if you have an undefeated season your bound for a bowl nobody cares about. IMHO, I think as long as this shameless, polictical bowl system is in place I would prefer the playoff format system of the FCS where the true champion is determined on the field.
    They've been talking about FBS since they began the transition to D-I, if not before then. You'll know they're getting serious when they start raising the money to build a 30,000 seat stadium. Until then it's just fan-board talk, IMHO.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I don't see how it would be possible for them to be able to build a 30,000+ Indoor stadium. That can't be cheap and I doubt the city would help since they already have the Fargo Dome.

Isn't there some sort of requirement where you have to average a certain attendance in order to move up?

Comment

If not for the current moratorium, NDSU could move up immediately if campus officials thought that was the right choice. The current FBS requirements from the NCAA are that you must sponsor 16 varsity sports(NDSU sponsors 16), a minimum of 8 women's sports(NDSU has 8), you must have had an average attendance of at least 15,000(paid or actual) one year out of a rolling two-year period(NDSU has averaged 18,141 and 18,032 the last two years), and you must offer a minimum of 200 grants-in-aid or expend a minimum of $4 million in GIA. If NDSU doesn't do the last last requirement already, it would after ramping up the football scholarships to the FBS minimum of 77. All other FBS requirements are about scheduling or other things that can't be done until you begin the reclassifying process(i.e. raise FB scholarships beyond 63).

This isn't to say that NDSU will be signing papers next week to start moving to FBS, just that we could if an FBS conference came a callin'. There used to be a requirement for a 30,000 seat stadium, but that was removed several years ago. I'm a proponent of an FBS MVC with both NDSU and SDSU as full members. To get there, we need to build our new basketball arena and you guys need to get your football attendance up and finish returning your men's basketball program to its former glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
          If not for the current moratorium, NDSU could move up immediately if campus officials thought that was the right choice. The current FBS requirements from the NCAA are that you must sponsor 16 varsity sports(NDSU sponsors 16), a minimum of 8 women's sports(NDSU has 8), you must have had an average attendance of at least 15,000(paid or actual) one year out of a rolling two-year period(NDSU has averaged 18,141 and 18,032 the last two years), and you must offer a minimum of 200 grants-in-aid or expend a minimum of $4 million in GIA. If NDSU doesn't do the last last requirement already, it would after ramping up the football scholarships to the FBS minimum of 77. All other FBS requirements are about scheduling or other things that can't be done until you begin the reclassifying process(i.e. raise FB scholarships beyond 63).

This isn't to say that NDSU will be signing papers next week to start moving to FBS, just that we could if an FBS conference came a callin'. There used to be a requirement for a 30,000 seat stadium, but that was removed several years ago. I'm a proponent of an FBS MVC with both NDSU and SDSU as full members. To get there, we need to build our new basketball arena and you guys need to get your football attendance up and finish returning your men's basketball program to its former glory.
          Gonna need alot more than SDSU to get their attendance up for this to ever happen. UNI was second in the MVFC with 12,178 (including playoffs) and SDSU was 3rd with 9,907. An FBS MVFC isn't happening anytime soon unless the NCAA really lowers their requirements, and I don't see that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
            I'm a proponent of an FBS MVC with both NDSU and SDSU as full members. To get there, we need to build our new basketball arena and you guys need to get your football attendance up and finish returning your men's basketball program to its former glory.
            And moving to FBS would accomplish what?????????

Comment

I guess my point is that the FargoDome, nice as it is, is a marginal FBS venue.

Now, if NDSU goes through a decade of .500 or lower football season and are still selling out the FargoDome at the end of that period, then I'll be convinced that they have the backing to make the move.

I guess the crash-and-burn of the SDSU men's basketball attendance has made me more than a bit gun-shy about predicting future performance for any school moving up based on past history.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It starts at the top and if a legit opportunity came along to go FBS, there isn't a doubt in my mind that Chapman would explore it and try to make it work.

That said getting an FBS MVC or WAC invite isn't going to happen overnight. So I guess people can dream about it all they want but a lot of work still has to be done to get there.

Comment

I think it is an okay thing to be happy where we are at. Both of our fine universities find themselves in a very nice position in mid major Division 1 college athletics. Let's make the most of where we are. If a crossroads comes again like did in 2004 I trust that our leadership will head us down the right path once again.
                  Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

NDSU is the FBS is a slam dunk.
                    I heard today at the NDSU teammakers luncheon they are already at $2.8 million dollars this year on donations alone.
                    NDSU is up to 14,000+ students and expanding into downtown fargo this year.
                    IF Mountain West or WAC or MAC wants NDSU, they are gone in a flash, Fargodome could be bumped to 25,000 seats im sure with the NDSU engineering people in control.

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
                      NDSU is the FBS is a slam dunk.
                      I heard today at the NDSU teammakers luncheon they are already at $2.8 million dollars this year on donations alone.
                      NDSU is up to 14,000+ students and expanding into downtown fargo this year.
                      IF Mountain West or WAC or MAC wants NDSU, they are gone in a flash, Fargodome could be bumped to 25,000 seats im sure with the NDSU engineering people in control.
                      Ok...who let Lakes back in?
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by CCdeville View Post
                        IF Mountain West or WAC or MAC wants NDSU, they are gone in a flash

And if Natasha Poly asks me to meet her for drinks this Friday, I'll be gone in a flash too.

(somehow I don't see it happening though)
                        Last edited by zooropa; 09-02-2009, 10:07 AM. Reason: Happy?

Comment

Ahem *this is NOT the Smack Thread*

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                            Ahem *this is NOT the Smack Thread*
                            That's smack?

Well, then, let me edit it.....

Comment

I guess if they make the move it will be so they can say they are FBS. If they find a conference, it would be an OK move. I don't think they would make it without a conference so there could be a wait.
                              They won't get any BCS schools to come to Fargo so their schedule will be all of the conference teams, maybe another home game against a lower (either FCS or FBS) team and road games. They'll still play 1 major team on the road every year. The rest of their games will be about the same as they are now.
                              There is chance they could get a Utah, Boise State, etc... team to come to Fargo but I don't see that every year.

Comment

Working...
                              X