Students arriving on campus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Students arriving on campus

I drove through Brookings today and noted big signs strategically placed as one approaches campus, giving directions for the various dorms. I turned at the former Zesto corner (for those who don't know, Zesto moved away from campus...not sure of the marketing strategy on that move!) to approach campus. At the first corner, there was a sign in the yard "Freshman Girls Dropoff" and a bunch of kids having a few beers. I had a good laugh over the sign.

Re: Students arriving on campus

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    I drove through Brookings today and noted big signs strategically placed as one approaches campus, giving directions for the various dorms. I turned at the former Zesto corner (for those who don't know, Zesto moved away from campus...not sure of the marketing strategy on that move!) to approach campus. At the first corner, there was a sign in the yard "Freshman Girls Dropoff" and a bunch of kids having a few beers. I had a good laugh over the sign.
    The Zesto move had a to do with them being sort of pushed out by the people they were renting the building from and then they weren't making any money from the people from the pool. When the pool remodeled they changed the entrances to just one instead of two, with one being into sixth street and the other into the parking lot by the tennis court that is still the only exit/entrance. People just went to Dairy Queen instead of going to Zesto. Now that Zesto has moved it is easier for them to get people from the softball fields.

That was a really winded response but from my understanding that is why they moved.

Comment

SDSU Daughter #1 works for the Orientaion Dept this summer and they were ehlping getting kids into the dorms. She worked over by Hansen and told me yesterday there were a bunch of guys across from the dorm dinking beer (if you can beleive that) with a sign wlecoming freshman girls. Wife said that is just what a nervous parent needs to see. I told her to just keep in perspective. Tought it was kind of funny, but then remember doing the same thing when I was there a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
        SDSU Daughter #1 works for the Orientaion Dept this summer and they were ehlping getting kids into the dorms. She worked over by Hansen and told me yesterday there were a bunch of guys across from the dorm dinking beer (if you can beleive that) with a sign wlecoming freshman girls. Wife said that is just what a nervous parent needs to see. I told her to just keep in perspective. Tought it was kind of funny, but then remember doing the same thing when I was there a couple years ago.
        J4L - your "couple of years ago" matches mine! Decades!

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
          J4L - your "couple of years ago" matches mine! Decades!
          Ouch!!! Busted...

Comment

J4Life: I know the truth: you showed up Fall of '72...all the freshmen gathered at Sylvan Theatre on the Sunday we all checked in. Met people there who remain good friends to this day.

Comment

J4Life: I know the truth: you showed up Fall of '72...all the freshmen gathered at Sylvan Theatre on the Sunday we all checked in. Met people there who remain good friends to this day.
              Seems like just a couple of years ago. You are right, some of my best friends still today are people I met while attending SDSU, and many of them my first year there. Best of luck to all the incoming freshman, especially, my youngest...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                Seems like just a couple of years ago. You are right, some of my best friends still today are people I met while attending SDSU, and many of them my first year there. Best of luck to all the incoming freshman, especially, my youngest...
                What was life like back then? There was virtually no cell phone, no internet, no CD players, no iPods, no DVD's, no remote controls, no three-point line, no rally serving (vball), no SDSUFans.com..what the heck did people do for fun back then?! Just wondering -
                SDHoops

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                  What was life like back then? There was virtually no cell phone, no internet, no CD players, no iPods, no DVD's, no remote controls, no three-point line, no rally serving (vball), no SDSUFans.com..what the heck did people do for fun back then?! Just wondering -
                  SDHoops
                  Yeah, without all those distractions, we had fun the old-fashioned way.

Comment

Yeah, without all those distractions, we had fun the old-fashioned way.
                    Did some smoke pipes and carry brief cases, and if an engineer wore a slide rule?

Oh for those days of psuedo sophisication. How about going to the dance in Volstroff Ball room after a bb game?

Comment

Whoa, Nidaros! Jack4Life and I are not THAT old! In the Fall of 1972, the engineering students strapped the new-fangled electronic calculators (in a leather 'holster') to their belts and there were no dances on campus after games because Horts was the place and 18-year old students could legally drink beer!

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
                        SDHoops
                        Not "virtually no cell phone," no cell phone at all.
                        Cells were in your biology book. Phones were in the dorm lobby.

It was an anti-virtual world, Hoops.

Mostly, you did things like "have a conversation."
                        "Talk."
                        "Listen"
                        "Hang out."
                        "Party."
                        In other words, the vastly underestimated and rapidly disappearing and eminently civilizing, "face to face communications."
                        And other forms of personal communication that might prompt young people to go beyond Ipod cocoons.
                        Headphones were generally for hearing tests. In the dorm, you'd often listen to your neighbor's stereo whether you wanted to or not, and while it led to an occasional argument or RA intervention, you also would sometimes hear a song outside your comfort zone that you ended up liking to this day. Twitter and tweet were what the birds did in the trees. You would FaceBook only the night before a big test - as in, "I finally gotta get my face in a book."

Of course there was no SDSUFans.com so life wasn't THAT great.

Comment

Whoa, Nidaros! Jack4Life and I are not THAT old! In the Fall of 1972, the engineering students strapped the new-fangled electronic calculators (in a leather 'holster') to their belts and there were no dances on campus after games because Horts was the place and 18-year old students could legally drink beer!
                          Horts opened when I was still there, the old had not given way to the new. If you went to the dances and got tired of being turned down for a dance, since the ratio was 6 to 1 in favor of the ladies, you usually did go drown your sorrows at Horts or Jims Place, which was still mostly a town people hang out and still sold bib overhalls. I was very impresssed with engineering acquaintences who could do math so quickly on those slide rules. Something I never did learn.

Bottom line I would be totally lost if I ever returned as a student.

Comment

A pipe in your mouth and a slide rule case hanging on yout belt! It didn't get any better than that.

Comment

Thanks for the responses to my question guys. It does seem like face-to-face conversation is a rare thing now-a-days. Usually you see someone talking on their cell phone to someone in the room next to them or texting someone across the room from them (more so the younger generation).

Comment

Working...
                              X