AD Live Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Live Chat

I'm putting this in smack partly because I'm not sure where it should go, and partly because it will probably end up there anyway.

While reading through TV's recent live chat with the AD's from SDSU and USD, one question and answer kind of stuck out at me.

Q: Once the rivalary resumes what will each of you do to insure it's a safe and respectful enviroment?

Joel Nielson's response: "I think both places handled our last games quite well -- in a respectful manner. And I'm confident both institutions would work together to see that this great rivalry can be restored in a manner we can all be proud of. Hopefully it won't end in a 6-6 tie (1889 score)."

Objects thrown onto the court/at players (including dead animals and food). Unspeakable things done in locker rooms? Windshields broken out on cars?

If that is handling the games "quite well" I would hate to see what mishandling would look like. Part of fixing a problem is admitting you have a problem, and AD Nielson doesn't seem to acknowledge a problem ever existed.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...NTPAGECAROUSEL
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: AD Live Chat

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    I'm putting this in smack partly because I'm not sure where it should go, and partly because it will probably end up there anyway.

While reading through TV's recent live chat with the AD's from SDSU and USD, one question and answer kind of stuck out at me.

Q: Once the rivalary resumes what will each of you do to insure it's a safe and respectful enviroment?

Joel Nielson's response: "I think both places handled our last games quite well -- in a respectful manner. And I'm confident both institutions would work together to see that this great rivalry can be restored in a manner we can all be proud of. Hopefully it won't end in a 6-6 tie (1889 score)."

Objects thrown onto the court/at players (including dead animals and food). Unspeakable things done in locker rooms? Windshields broken out on cars?

If that is handling the games "quite well" I would hate to see what mishandling would look like. Part of fixing a problem is admitting you have a problem, and AD Nielson doesn't seem to acknowledge a problem ever existed.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...NTPAGECAROUSEL

I noticed that exact quote when it was posted on the chat and I honestly thought he was joking. I actually got a little sick to my stomach when I just read it again in your post.

I attended one game in Vermillion in my life and that was the last Basketball game mentioned.
    When the rivalry resumes, count me as one who will NEVER be attending in Vermillion. Yes, YF...NEVER! If as a Coyote fan, you honestly were not embarassed that night in regards to some of the things that went on...no matter what goes on down in Vermillion here on out, you never will be.

BTW...I wasn't a fan of either team that night back then...I actually just got roped into going down there with some friends, cause I thought it would be good time, nothing else to do, was single back then and heard Vermillion was a fun place to party and last State/U game might be something to see.
    Now that I have a family, the things I witnessed in Vermillion that night were things that my 6-month old daughter and my 2-time USD grad wife will never witness as long as I'm in charge, and if Nielsen(whom I'm actually an aquantence of) still doesn't think there was a problem that night, then the future "rivalry" games in Vermillion are events that my family will not be a part of.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      I noticed that exact quote when it was posted on the chat and I honestly thought he was joking. I actually got a little sick to my stomach when I just read it again in your post.

I attended one game in Vermillion in my life and that was the last Basketball game mentioned.
      When the rivalry resumes, count me as one who will NEVER be attending in Vermillion. Yes, YF...NEVER! If as a Coyote fan, you honestly were not embarassed that night in regards to some of the things that went on...no matter what goes on down in Vermillion here on out, you never will be.

BTW...I wasn't a fan of either team that night back then...I actually just got roped into going down there with some friends, cause I thought it would be good time, nothing else to do, was single back then and heard Vermillion was a fun place to party and last State/U game might be something to see.
      Now that I have a family, the things I witnessed in Vermillion that night were things that my 6-month old daughter and my 2-time USD grad wife will never witness as long as I'm in charge, and if Nielsen(whom I'm actually an aquantence of) still doesn't think there was a problem that night, then the future "rivalry" games in Vermillion are events that my family will not be a part of.

Go Jacks!!
      Agree, don't know if I'll ever get over that night either. My worst experience ever at a game.

Comment

I guess I thought he was talking about the soccer and other sports that have played each other since the switch was made.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
          I guess I thought he was talking about the soccer and other sports that have played each other since the switch was made.

That would be the "half glass full" way to look at it.
          Maybe I'll tell myself that was what he meant. Like I said...I know Joel, nice guy, good golfer, wife's an even better golfer (Wake Forest I think).
          I like to think I'm a "glass half full" guy.

Go Jacks!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
            He could have meant it that way, I hadn't even thought of it in the context that non money sports have already been playing. I guess I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, although I hope he understands the level of security/planing/awareness of a men's conference basketball game is a little different than that of a swim meet.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Without getting too graphic beyond PG13, can the posters referring to "unspeakable" acts or "last game" ever in Vermillion and other allusions be a little more specific? What happened? For those who experienced a rivalry in earlier eras, there might be a knowledge gap in the rivalry resumption discussion. In the '70s some stupendously stupid things happened (in Vermillion, Brookings AND Sioux Falls) but not near the level alluded to in these descriptions. This could put the argument for the resumption of the rivalry into a different light.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                Without getting too graphic beyond PG13, can the posters referring to "unspeakable" acts or "last game" ever in Vermillion and other allusions be a little more specific? What happened? For those who experienced a rivalry in earlier eras, there might be a knowledge gap in the rivalry resumption discussion. In the '70s some stupendously stupid things happened (in Vermillion, Brookings AND Sioux Falls) but not near the level alluded to in these descriptions. This could put the argument for the resumption of the rivalry into a different light.
                Some pretty awful things happened, things that cannot be allowed to happen and should not have been tolerated but essentially were. I recognize that other things happened in Brookings as well but nothing like what happened in Vermillion that night. That said, I am confident that USD can get their act together and do a better job. It would be nice if an apology was issued and maybe it was but I got the impression those in charge felt like it was just kids being kids. I'm probably wrong and I'm sure I'll hear about it. I'm not comfortable being specific about the details on a public forum.

I have plenty of friends who were athletes near the end of the DII "rivalry" who had no desire to continue to play in Vermillion and therefore were very happy to hear that we would be moving up without them. Most of them don't care if the "rivalry" ever resumes. Well, there you go, wasting more time at that fateful day.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Been discussed here before. Do a search for "USD students", "poop", and "SDSU showers". Or just put it together yourself and use your imagination. Pretty horrifying act by the students, and an unforgivable security lapse by USD.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Let's just say the Dakota Dump that night may have been the sh**iest place ever to watch a game and I probably won't ever get that out of my head!

JimmyJack is right that it has been discussed to death and back. I will give them the benefit of the doubt when the rivalry resumes but I will choose to not be in attendance.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think, based on the context & the admission of USD to the Summit, that Nielsen was talking about the football rivalry.

Not having been at the last FB game, I can't say what happened there, but when I read that comment in context, I assumed football (reference to 1889 6-6 tie, the fact that the rivalry is guaranteed renewal in every other sport).

Comment

I'm going with "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all" at this point.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          Been discussed here before. Do a search for "USD students", "poop", and "SDSU showers". Or just put it together yourself and use your imagination. Pretty horrifying act by the students, and an unforgivable security lapse by USD.

I will go search for past posts, thank you. But with all due respect, folks that have been on this forum for five years or more have a history on these topics that you should not assume that recent joiners have. In the interest of putting this discussion in context, it helps, even if it seems like it's dredging up an old argument, to explain beyond vague references to past events.
                          What in anyone's imagination would have collated those three search terms you referenced above? But now that you and others have offered context, I am re-examining my thoughts on resuming the rivalry.

Comment

I will go search for past posts, thank you. But with all due respect, folks that have been on this forum for five years or more have a history on these topics that you should not assume that recent joiners have. In the interest of putting this discussion in context, it helps, even if it seems like it's dredging up an old argument, to explain beyond vague references to past events.
                            What in anyone's imagination would have collated those three search terms you referenced above? But now that you and others have offered context, I am re-examining my thoughts on resuming the rivalry.
                            Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck. I just didn't want to get into it. It was very ugly. And I'm not saying SDSU fans are blameless in the ugliness of the rivalry. But to my knowledge nothing that happened up here even remotely approached that level of stupidity.

My question is: Has anyone attended a USD event in the interim and have they changed the way they do things? More security? Does the administration there still look the other way when students go too far? Are opposing teams treated better than they were in the past? Is there a buffer around the visiting team like we have created here? Or is the same old, wild west, boys-will-be-boys stuff down there?
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck. I just didn't want to get into it. It was very ugly. And I'm not saying SDSU fans are blameless in the ugliness of the rivalry. But to my knowledge nothing that happened up here even remotely approached that level of stupidity.

My question is: Has anyone attended a USD event in the interim and have they changed the way they do things? More security? Does the administration there still look the other way when students go too far? Are opposing teams treated better than they were in the past? Is there a buffer around the visiting team like we have created here? Or is the same old, wild west, boys-will-be-boys stuff down there?
                              Last year they were BEGGING for SOMEBODY to attend games. They have 4 home games vs FCS teams this year, so should do better in getting fans in.

Comment

Working...
                              X