Crops in South Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crops in South Dakota

I'd like hearing about Crops in South Dakota..... what do they look like, if there is any active farmers, what they have planted and so on....

In Bon Homme County where people planted early and didn't get hail its got the best ever potential. Its all over the map though depending on when you planted and what type of hail you got.

Inbetween Avon and Tyndall where we farm we have 7.5 inch drilled beans at 150,000+ population that has a really good stand and good pod numbers (high 30's/low 40's average) and have the moisture to finish them (over 4 inches in august with no more then 1.10 at one time) corn is really good too (150bu.+, Pioneer record for our dealer is around 170)....

went up to dakota fest and they have good crops near mitchell where they haven't caught the hail.... Yankton is really good where they didn't catch hail....

Re: Crops in South Dakota

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    I'd like hearing about Crops in South Dakota..... what do they look like, if there is any active farmers, what they have planted and so on....

In Bon Homme County where people planted early and didn't get hail its got the best ever potential. Its all over the map though depending on when you planted and what type of hail you got.

Inbetween Avon and Tyndall where we farm we have 7.5 inch drilled beans at 150,000+ population that has a really good stand and good pod numbers (high 30's/low 40's average) and have the moisture to finish them (over 4 inches in august with no more then 1.10 at one time) corn is really good too (150bu.+, Pioneer record for our dealer is around 170)....

went up to dakota fest and they have good crops near mitchell where they haven't caught the hail.... Yankton is really good where they didn't catch hail....
    Bon Homme county is raising its best crop ever? Take cover people the end of times must be near! Hard to believe they can raise anything down there. Joeboo, my Dekalb is going to kick the crap out of that Pioneer, tell Tony I said so.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Jackrabbit View Post
      Bon Homme county is raising its best crop ever? Take cover people the end of times must be near! Hard to believe they can raise anything down there. Joeboo, my Dekalb is going to kick the crap out of that Pioneer, tell Tony I said so.
      ok..... no western Bon Homme is going to raise best ever.... eastern Bon Homme its hit and miss, a lot of them didn't get it in early and got hurt by the early rains rather then help....

Comment

Seed company smack? I guess we can all check that one off of our lists of "Things You Will Probably Never See In Your Entire Life."

In fact, this may be the first post in the history of mankind (and the Internet) which contains seed co. smack.

For that reason, I'll forgo the usual "no smack in non-smack threads" warning.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Seed company smack? I guess we can all check that one off of our lists of "Things You Will Probably Never See In Your Entire Life."

In fact, this may be the first post in the history of mankind (and the Internet) which contains seed co. smack.

For that reason, I'll forgo the usual "no smack in non-smack threads" warning.
          I'm not trying to smack Joe, just giving him a little bit of a hard time, I'm a lifelong resident of Bon Homme county myself. Never met Joe but I do know his Dad and other members of his family, your Grandma was the home-ec teacher up at THS way back when I was in school. Yes the crops look pretty good in the area Joe talked about, kind of reminds me of driving through one of the I states. Crops look good all over eastern SD. Now Filbert you have never seen a seed corn smack thread? You need to head over to New Ag Talk, all sorts of wars over there, Monsanto(Dekalb) vs DuPont(Pioneer), and then there is the JD vs CIH vs AGCO color wars(farm machinery). Joeboo and anybody else involved in farming, or interested in anythig ag related(commodity markets, rural living, farmland ownership etc.) should come on over and join the discussion. It's my second favorite forum on the internet, next to SDSU Fans on course. Here is the link:http://talk.newagtalk.com/category-view.asp

Comment

I'm not trying to smack Joe, just giving him a little bit of a hard time, I'm a lifelong resident of Bon Homme county myself. Never met Joe but I do know his Dad and other members of his family, your Grandma was the home-ec teacher up at THS way back when I was in school. Yes the crops look pretty good in the area Joe talked about, kind of reminds me of driving through one of the I states. Crops look good all over eastern SD. Now Filbert you have never seen a seed corn smack thread? You need to head over to New Ag Talk, all sorts of wars over there, Monsanto(Dekalb) vs DuPont(Pioneer), and then there is the JD vs CIH vs AGCO color wars(farm machinery). Joeboo and anybody else involved in farming, or interested in anythig ag related(commodity markets, rural living, farmland ownership etc.) should come on over and join the discussion. It's my second favorite forum on the internet, next to SDSU Fans on course. Here is the link:http://talk.newagtalk.com/category-view.asp
            OK, I admit, I've turned into quite the Kansas City city-slicker, so no, I don't frequent New Ag Talk.

I still find the concept of seed smack intensely amusing.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              OK, I admit, I've turned into quite the Kansas City city-slicker, so no, I don't frequent New Ag Talk.

I still find the concept of seed smack intensely amusing.

Tractor smack, i.e. John Deere vs. International Harvester vs. Case, was Major League smack when I grew up. Pickup smack, too, Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge.

Comment

My red tractor will beat the heck out of your green one.

Sorry my dad owned the IH dealership in Brookings back in the day. Sold it when IH got bought out by Case.

Comment

90Jackrabbit,

With filbert's okay I think turnabout is fair play. Post this website on the newagtalk forum and generate some more talk and hopefully ag dollars for the South Dakota State University.

Comment

my modo when it comes to farming is do what works best for you, if its the name brand seed and the brand new tractor go for it if its cheaper seed and older cheaper tractors go for it....

Does anybody know if SDSU has a research farm around Platte or Geddes? I found and older study and it talked about a field around that area but I've never heard of one....

Comment

Working...
                    X