Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Justin Sell on TV's live chat 8/20/09...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin Sell on TV's live chat 8/20/09...

If you missed it you can still go read it all on argusleader.com (great stuff).....and if you participated or read it and aren't totally stoked to have Justin Sell as our new AD you need to see if you still have a pulse.

The future is bright!!!!!!

Re: Justin Sell on TV's live chat today...

A quote today from the live chat w/ Sell that I really liked....

"I think we need to be more comfortable with "bragging" about who we are as a university, as a department and - frankly - as a state. I think sometimes we're too humble and we don't tell people enough of how great it is to be a South Dakotan. I also think we need to do a better job of marketing our program statewide. The Jackrabbit Club and ticket sales need to improve."

Comment

I was not available for the live chat, but reading through the questions thrown at AD Sell, I am very impressed with his responses. We got great leadership at AD and President. I was impressed with the comment that AD Sells is working with President Chicoine on long term strategy for the athletic department which I dont think was done very thoroughly in the past. I have not been a fly on the President's wall for the past 100 years, but I dont any president has taken the role of athletics and their importance as seriously as our current president. CAS replacement and all the other lofty goals in fund raising will be met. Maybe not on Stu's time table but they will get done.

Comment

Agreed.

I also follow Kansas athletics. They used to be just a basketball school....until they brought in an AD (Lew Perkins) and others who desired to be more than just a basketball school. Update: Football has been to 3 bowls in the last 4 years, winning them all, moved all the way up to #2 in the rankings in '08, won the Orange Bowl, baseball team won the Big XII tourney and ALL three programs were ranked at some point last year. Sell reminds me alot of Lew Perkins and company.

Even my USD grad buddy admitted today that he is impressed w/ Sell.

Comment

I have a suspicion that if SDSU hadn't moved to D-I, Chicoine might not have been interested in the job.

Better all the way around the way it worked out, I think.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Some very compelling questions and answers. Bottom line it appears the marketing approach will change significantly.

Comment

Seems to me he's the type of guy who can figure out way's to make the athletic dept. more $,more money= better facility's= garnaring better recruits=winning more games=drawing more fans(maybe media contracts)=more $=even > facility's=even better recruits ....etc. The sky's the limit if you get the right guy with enough energy & who doesn't get easily discouraged to do it all.Alway's forward looking,never say never.

Comment

Count me as impressed. To date, I like his ideas, attitude and answers. Sounds like we got a good guy.
                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Did you see that TV is hosting a special chat today (TUESDAY) with Sell and USD's AD as well?

Should be interesting....

Comment

I'm taking Sell and giving the 6 points!!!

Should be some interesting commentary.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Just a follow-up. I thought Justin Sell and Joel Nielsen both did a very nice job on the live chat yesterday. They were asked a lot of good questions and they gave direct answers. I thought Justin did a better job of portraying his vision for the future but everyone knows what color glasses I am looking through.

It was an interesting format and I found it informative!

So far I think we have found the right guy for the right time at SDSU!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

It seems to me from Justin's comments that in terms of facilities that a greatly enhanced CAS is at the top of the list.

Comment

My personal opinion is that the fieldhouse is #1 and renovation to CAS is a very, very close #2 . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            My personal opinion is that the fieldhouse is #1 and renovation to CAS is a very, very close #2 . . .
                            My opinion, the fieldhouse should be the priority. It can be used by multiple programs and will be used EVERYDAY. Right now, our biggest deficit as it pertains to recruiting is the lack of a first class everday practice facility, weight room, etc....

Although CAS is far from perfect it is adequate for the gameday experience. Fieldhouse first, CAS later.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

We might be getting the cart in front of the horse a little bit.

What impresses me in talking to Justin and seeing hearing him in interviews and online is how he is laser-focused on getting the Jackrabbit message out to everyone in the state not just between Brookings and Sioux Falls.

To get all of these projects takes one thing, benjamins! To raise that we have to increase our fan base and how excited everyone around the state is about SDSU Athletics. Growing the Jackrabbit Club is a priority. Bringing former athletes back into the fold is also something he talks about a lot. He does a great job in showing his passion for the place and what is happening here.

Maybe I'm just drinking the Kool Aid he is serving but it is blue and I'm thirsty!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Working...
                              X