The Brett Farve Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Brett Farve Experiment

I think that's the best thing to call it. Not sure how I feel about it. Tjack doesn't seem ready to be the guy the Vikes need to advance in the playoffs and Rosenfels hasn't demonstrated anything worthwhile previously. I think Tjack has upside and perhaps under Farve's tutelage he will realize some of it. I really don't know. I guess I'm kind of interested to see how these ingredients react. Hopefully the Williams boys survive this latest appeal and start the season on the field. Going to be an interesting year. I might have to make time to attend a game or two.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: The Brett Farve Experiment

I've been getting alot of different thoughts from people I have talked to at work today. Some are sick and tired of hearing about Brett Favre. Some love the idea. Some don't care. The way I see it as a diehard Vikes fan...is why not bring someone in that's out there that can maybe help out the team. If it doesn't work out, then that's how it is, but if he helps us win the division again and maybe win a playoff game, then sweeeet. Totally agree with needing to keep the Williams's is the lineup. They are definitely the foundation of that D. Go Vikes !!!

Comment

Very good insight on a DC sports talk show this morning:
      Brett Favre needs the NFL far more than the NFL needs him. This is a win- now move on the part of the Vikings. As a Vikings fan, I hope it works. As a football fan, I am very, very dubious of it working.

This is just bizarre. You don't build a team around an aged (not aging) ex-superstar who can't figure out what to do with the rest of his life.

Comment

I think it's possible to be tired of the Favre drama and yet excited to see what he can do with the Vikings.

They don't need that much out of him, just more than their lame stable of lousy QBs could give: 200 yards a game and a few more TDs without a slew of picks would be sufficient to get teams out of the box and let Adrian Peterson (and Percy Harvin) run wild.

The Vikes are a way, way better team than the Jets. The offensive line is pretty solid (center a questionmark, but Sullivan seems capable). The running game is outstanding. The defense is top-7 or better.

Does Favre have 200 yards a game, maybe 20 TDs and less than a dozen picks in him? If so, it should help AP get free more often.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

IMO the big question mark for the Vikings before the Favre saga wasn't QB, it was the head coach.

And... IMO, that's still the question mark.

For all the talent the Vikes had last season, IMO, barely winning the NFC North can't be blamed on an iffy quarterback.

Therefore a season of Favre means underachievement at a higher level than last year, that's all.

Comment

I don't think even Childress can screw this up.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              I don't think even Childress can screw this up.
              I still have faith in his abilities to screw things up. Remember those games when AP would sit for a quarter or more at a time?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I predict that Favre will start out the season on fire, getting Vikings fans hopes up for a first ever championship. He will then get a nuisance injury in week 12 that will make him a game time decision for the remaining 4 games and his performance will suffer. After getting a bye the Vikings will squeak out a win in their first playoff game and advance to the NFC Championsip game against the Eagles, who will proceed to stomp them and once again crush the Vikings fans spirit.

Childress will have done just enough to keep his job for another year, and I will continue to despise him as I have since the day he was hired.

Man it sucks being a Viking fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                  Childress will have done just enough to keep his job for another year
                  +1.

Favre is nothing more than temporary job security for Childress.

And, while kvetching about Childress, let me add that I feel sorry for Adrian Peterson. Poor kid's like a beautiful Derby winning thoroughbred being used as a drafthorse. Under Childress, IMO, Peterson will be wrecked without ever achieving what he's capable of. The ONLY positive I can see, this season, is that -maybe- we'll see what AP would look like playing along side an even ADEQUATE passing game.

Of course, next year it will be back to the same old same old--taking a fantastically talented RB and throwing him at a stacked box play after play after play.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    IMO the big question mark for the Vikings before the Favre saga wasn't QB, it was the head coach.

And... IMO, that's still the question mark.
                    QB was a question mark, but you're right Chilly is at the heart of the problem there.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      +1.

Favre is nothing more than temporary job security for Childress.

And, while kvetching about Childress, let me add that I feel sorry for Adrian Peterson. Poor kid's like a beautiful Derby winning thoroughbred being used as a drafthorse. Under Childress, IMO, Peterson will be wrecked without ever achieving what he's capable of. The ONLY positive I can see, this season, is that -maybe- we'll see what AP would look like playing along side an even ADEQUATE passing game.

Of course, next year it will be back to the same old same old--taking a fantastically talented RB and throwing him at a stacked box play after play after play.
                      That would require competent offensive playcalling and game plans by the coaching staff, which isn't likely to be any better this year. Our only hope is that Favre takes it upon himself to make alot of audibles and call his own plays this season

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        That would require competent offensive playcalling and game plans by the coaching staff, which isn't likely to be any better this year. Our only hope is that Favre takes it upon himself to make alot of audibles and call his own plays this season
                        Oh, I'm expecting no more than that which we Vikings fans have all grown accustomed too ever since Denny Green was hired:

Those few plays, every now and then, those few bittersweet plays, where you see just how GREAT the team could be, if it only had a GOOD coach.

Comment

It's a shame what Farve might do on the field is overshadowing what Joe Mauer is doing on the field.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Joe Mauer for AL Triple Crown?

Comment

Great article from NY talking about Mauer's incredible season.

http://blog.nj.com/yankees/2009/08/m...a_for_mvp.html

Comment

Working...
                              X