Quick Vick poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Vick poll

1. Does Vick http://www.comcast.net/articles/spor...es-Vick.Signs/ deserve a second chance?
    2. Surprised the Eagles signed him?

Re: Quick Vick poll

As far as I'm concerned, there are people playing professional sports or generally living out their lives/careers that have done FAR worse than what Vick did, and have gone un-reprimanded.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs (well, big dogs, not the little yippee ankle biters), but cripes sakes, the whole thing is blown WAY out of proportion.

This whole deal as well as the whole abortion issue (but I digress) only confirms my belief that society puts more value on animals lives than humans lives.

Flame away.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Agreed RowdyRabbit...Agreed.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Listened to several Eagles fans interviewed this morning. Even THEY are against it. These are the fans that booed Santa Claus and routinely attack opposing team fans. Way back before the Metrodome I once saw a bunch of drunken Eagles Fans in old Met stadium TAKE THEIR SHIRTS off in the middle of a raging snowstorm and engage in a snowball fight in four directions.

If Vick had been an offensive guard, no way would he be back. He's there by virtue of the high-profile nature of the position he plays and the fact that there is a paucity of good QBs in the NFL right now. Exhibit A: Tavaris Jackson.

Comment

If Philadelphia Eagles are willing to step up and offer a second chance, I think everyone else should too. Dog fighting is not a sport, but those who cant get enough wagering have got the sport going just to satisfy their complusive behavior.

Dogs to me are very loyal animals, they always dont understand humans, but to pit them against each other in order to make a wager is cruel. I am not a PETA Freak any more than I am cancerous shouter at a town hall meeting. I am open-minded about Obamacare btw.

It was wrong, and I think 18 months for animal cruelty more than fits the crime. Vick seems to be a very good athlete and if he can still help fill the staduim, let him do it. He cant put his physical skills in a freezer and pull them out ten years later.

Comment

A little off topic. But I think it's little ridiculous that Michael Vick goes to jail for two years for dogfighting and Daunte Stallworth goes to jail for 26 days for killing a man, while drunk and high and only gets suspended for one year. And Vick's suspension will be 2 seasons plus four games I believe before he gets to play this season.

Comment

Originally posted by JackMan View Post
              A little off topic. But I think it's little ridiculous that Michael Vick goes to jail for two years for dogfighting and Daunte Stallworth goes to jail for 26 days for killing a man, while drunk and high and only gets suspended for one year. And Vick's suspension will be 2 seasons plus four games I believe before he gets to play this season.
              Great point. I'm an animal lover and not a Vick fan, but I do believe that he has paid his debt to society for the stupid things he's done and thus deserves a second chance. I see that Tony Dungy has gotten involved in Vick's life and maybe can help him get his priorities straight.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

For those that are up in arms about this (not on the board, public in general) do they not realize that every day convicted felons are allowed to return to a "normal" life and begin working and earning a paycheck, often times in the industry they once worked in. Just so happens that this convicted felon plays professional football, which is an occupation in which highly skilled individuals get paid a lot of money to entertain...like actors for example. Why should he be denied the opportunity to pursue a profession he is qualified for just because of this felony conviction?

Oh, and the Duante Stallworth comparison, spot on. Vick would have been better off killing a human it seems.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

With an SO who is Ms. Animal Lover, she wishes Vick NEVER sees light of day again.

I personally prefer that he starts succeeding while he has the legs to scramble. Vick never was a great passer. He is however, one of the best there's been as a scrambler, runner, slippery QB. He is a Zinfadel of QB's, he will NEVER be better in the future than he is now, or was at ATL.

Let him make his living, get some (more) $$$ put away, and make him become a major PETA fundraiser, that would be JUSTICE.

I don't condone Vick's dogfighting actions. But I would rather he pays his own way with his abilities than be on the public taxes the rest of his life.

Comment

This right here is what I'm talking about in my first post.
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Great post and rep given. I cannot figure out why no one was protesting the Browns for not cutting him. The Falcons had those protests immediately after Vick's problem was public. About a month ago, they were talking about Plaxico Burress on ESPN Radio and were expecting him to get a suspension of 4-8 games, which was going to be about 2 games MORE than Stallworth was going to get. None of the guests ever said anything that a person was killed in Stallworth's case.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I agree he needs a second chance and think the Stallworth comparison, which has been made here and elsewhere, is spot on

I also believe, however, that a double standard is at work. Had Vick not been a star QB but a 300-pound lineman, he would not be back in the league. Anyone disagree? Another example of the superstar syndrome in pro sports.

Comment

we are a society that gives a 2nd chance. vick deserves a 2nd chance but he cant screw up again. the only thing is, how can he be a role model to kids. thats the only thing i have a problem with. of course, is TO or Ocho Cinco a good role model to kids? probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post

If Vick had been an offensive guard, no way would he be back. He's there by virtue of the high-profile nature of the position he plays and the fact that there is a paucity of good QBs in the NFL right now.
                            Disagree whole-heartedly. I think if he would have been an offensive guard it wouldn't have received near the attention that it did. I think BECAUSE he was a high profile player, the authorities tried to make an example of him. Lenard Little (DE) killed a guy while driving drunk and I'm not sure he even got suspended a game.

Vick served his time and deserves a second chance.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Stallworth’s light sentence came as the result of a plea deal struck with the D.A., a deal which was struck due to Stallworth’s immediate cooperation and the uncertain question of causation. I understand the facts to be that Stallworth struck and killed a pedestrian who had stepped into traffic. That, of course, does not excuse Stallworth’s act of driving with a BAC of .126, but it was apparently enough of a factor to avoid trial. Stallworth also reached an undisclosed financial settlement with the victim’s family.

Vick, on the other hand, was a financier of and participant in the systematic torture of dogs. Methods included drowning, electrocuting and gunshots. I certainly agree that human lives and dog lives aren’t comparable, but if we’re to examine the “nature of the crime,” I think Vick’s actions are arguably more cause for concern.

That said, I AM AN EAGLES FAN (Sorry, Viking fans, I was at the Dome…someone had to buy tickets… Can’t sell out a playoff game?!). Anyway, Vick has been out of football for a good stint now. He served hard jail time, and his community service efforts should further impress upon him the wrongness of his previous actions. I believe he deserves a second chance, and I trust the recommendation of a guy like Tony Dungy, who has gone to bat for Vick.

He is a good fit in a Philly uniform. I’m not a South Philly guy. I honestly dislike the obnoxious breed that gives the Eagles organization a bad name. The loudmouths might not like the Vick move, but they’re also the ones who want Donovan kicked out of town (despite appearances in five NFC championship games and one Super Bowl in the last eight seasons).

The real question might be, how does it feel to be a Vikings fan and know that Philly’s backup QB is probably better than Minny’s starter? (I know that’s smackish. Can I get a ruling on whether it’s technically smack when unrelated to SDSU?)
                              University of South Dakota:
                              Oldest university of the Dakotas; Home of S.D.'s only accredited law, medical and business schools; S.D.'s designated liberal arts institution; National scholars galore; Alma mater of 10 S.D. governors, 20 members of Congress, all sitting S.D. Supreme Ct. justices and 1/2 of all S.D. physicians; Warmer than Brookings; Where JackMD received his advanced degree!

Comment

Working...
                              X