Hall of Fame Inductees Amateur Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of Fame Inductees Amateur Baseball

I did not want to muddle the tourney thread with this post so thought I would start a separate thread.

Arlington has not had a amateur baseball team in years, but the Arlington Sun did have a front page story about Everett Jensen who is one of the four inductees for this year. He will be inducted on Sept 12 in Chamberlain SD. His amateur career includes 416 wins.

Everett is no longer living having past on in 1985. The story did say his son Larry still lives in Arlington. Everett started playing at the age 17 in 1941, the year I was born, for CenterPoint, a team out of Hurley SD. He served his country in World War 11 and then came back and played for the Irene Cardinals for about 9 years. When at Irene he won 262 games and lost 88, and appeared in six state tournaments.

He then moved to Arlington and pitched a complete game of 19 innings at the age of 35 against Oldham in which they won 5-4. The article does not say this but apparently all of the 4 runs scored by Oldham were the result of unearned runs and field errors. Five weeks later he threw a perfect game against league champion Lake Norden, in a 4-0 score. He struck out 11 of the 27 men he faced.

Also he was not a bad hitter, and batted about .333 for his career.

Now here is a Sports Max story, and I suspect Mike is already working on that.

Re: Hall of Fame Inductees Amateur Baseball

I try to feature the inductees about every year. I also emcee the annual induction banquet. I am looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Arlington has not had a amateur baseball team in years, but the Arlington Sun did have a front page story about Everett Jensen who is one of the four inductees for this year. He will be inducted on Sept 12 in Chamberlain SD. His amateur career includes 416 wins.
      When was the last time Arlington had an amateur baseball team? I remember us joining forces with Volga awhile back when I lived there but that was in the 90's

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
        When was the last time Arlington had an amateur baseball team? I remember us joining forces with Volga awhile back when I lived there but that was in the 90's
        Sorry, I cant help much, since I have lived in Arlington since 2005. I do know the baseball facility is still being maintained by the City and is is in pretty good shape. No seating and I suspect there has not been some for awhile. Mostly teener and below baseball is being played there now.

A team could be started again if there were a bunch of guys who wanted to play. Seems like the young guys in Arlington are so busy doing other things and there are probably fewer businesses to help with the sponsorship so thats what I would view as being the two obstacles. Who knows maybe people will get interested again.

Comment

They used to have a grand stand behind home plate but that got torn down a while ago due to it being too old. Used to play some baseball there but decided to give it up and be a lifeguard instead. But like I said, that was in the early 90s when I was in high school.

Comment

Arlington's team folded and Brett Schutt came over and played with us in Bryant in about 1993 or 94, give or take a year. Never liked the infield in Arlington, all gravel and often hard as a rock.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Yeah was never a fan of any of Arlington's facilities for sports. 80 yard football field, asphault track, and crappy airport for cross country meets and of course the baseball field.

I thought that was the time it folded.

Comment

Working...
              X