Top QB in MVC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top QB in MVC

Since we don't have a QB to talk about yet, I thought it might be fun to talk a little bit about the other MVC QBs. When I look at them, the guys who impressed me most last year were Matt Barr from WIU and Pat Grace from UNI. Of the two, Barr seems like the better player, but Grace is a Payton candidate.

What do you think? I suppose there could be some fun comments we could make about Nick Mertens, too. Anybody else?
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Top QB in MVC

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Since we don't have a QB to talk about yet, I thought it might be fun to talk a little bit about the other MVC QBs. When I look at them, the guys who impressed me most last year were Matt Barr from WIU and Pat Grace from UNI. Of the two, Barr seems like the better player, but Grace is a Payton candidate.

What do you think? I suppose there could be some fun comments we could make about Nick Mertens, too. Anybody else?
    Matt Barr is better than Pat Grace? Are you kidding? The numbers don't lie...

Completion Percentage
    Grace: 62.3%
    Barr: 50.8%

Rating
    Grace: 145.76
    Barr: 118.9

TDs
    Grace: 14
    Barr: 9

Ints
    Grace: 7
    Barr: 5

Grace ran for 9 more TDs too and a boat load more yards too. Grace is the best QB in the league, not doubt after last season.

Comment

SDSU fans probably hold Barr in a higher view just because he had his best game of his career against us last year. The rest of the season he was pretty bad and more of a runner than an efficient passer.

I'd say Grace is defiantly the best QB in the MVC as he kind of fits into that Tim Tebow mold of big QB that can run.

Overall though I'm not very impressed with the quality of QB in the MVC. I really think that the four guys we have are comparable to most of the other qb's with crawford and whittier having more potential than any current MVC QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post

Completion Percentage
        Grace: 62.3%
        Barr: 50.8%

Rating
        Grace: 145.76
        Barr: 118.9

TDs
        Grace: 14
        Barr: 9

Ints
        Grace: 7
        Barr: 5

Grace ran for 9 more TDs too and a boat load more yards too. Grace is the best QB in the league, not doubt after last season.
        I'm guessing Barr's performance against us had alot to do with Mitchell's comment. He tore us up pretty good and nearly single handedly won the game.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
          SDSU fans probably hold Barr in a higher view just because he had his best game of his career against us last year. The rest of the season he was pretty bad and more of a runner than an efficient passer.

I'd say Grace is defiantly the best QB in the MVC as he kind of fits into that Tim Tebow mold of big QB that can run.

Overall though I'm not very impressed with the quality of QB in the MVC. I really think that the four guys we have are comparable to most of the other qb's with crawford and whittier having more potential than any current MVC QBs.
          There were quite a few young QBs in the league last year too. I think this season the QB spot will be brighter in the conference than it was last year. How many graduating QBs were there? 2? Berry and ISU's QB were the only seniors iirc.

I can understand the point on veiwing Barr high after his performance in the game against you guys last year. He was never a running qb though.

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
            Barr played like a superstar against us last year.He single-handedly brought WIU back in the second half of the game against us and almost pulled off a win. If he can play anything like that consistently, well... he's very good. Obviously he was only a sophomore and didn't play that well against everybody.

Grace, as I mentioned, is a Payton nominee, and a deserving one. I think our coaches were pretty impressed with Grace's athletic ability, but didn't think he was a great passer. But you can't argue with the numbers. He's not a Payton nominee for nothing. I wouldn't want to have to tackle that guy. He's a beast.

Grace is a senior this year, Barr is a junior.

In fairness, we should probably mention the kid from Missouri State, Cody Kirby. He's a little guy, and we pretty much manhandled him last year, but he's a real gamer. Also, I sat in on the postgame news conference, and he's also a class act. He's the kind of kid you can really root for... when he's not playing the Jackrabbits.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I think Dante Perez will be the best QB in the Valley this year. How do I know this you ask...because I read Bisonville of course!

Members there have already crowned him their starter even though he has hasn't ever taken a snap of FCS or FBS level football. According to them, he put up unreal numbers though as a QB at a California JUCO. He went the JUCO route after some lower level FBS schools didn't think he had the talent to play QB and wanted him to be a WR. He never makes bad decisions, has good field vision, effective pump fakes, great running ability, and a big arm. Even more, he has great poise when under duress. They know this because they saw a HIGHLIGHT tape of his JUCO years. There wasn't any bad plays at all in this HIGHLIGHT tape - it was unbelieveable. Even though Dante didn't have any other offers at the FCS level, he will be the class of the league and lead the Bison back to the level of football they expect. We wouldn't have any idea about this level as lowly Jackrabbit fans. The Bison got a steal and its amazing that NOT ONE OTHER FCS or FBS team offered Dante to play QB.

In fact, if things fall right, they might even get back to the level they were at a few years ago with Steve Walker at the helm. You remember, back in 2006-2007, when they were good enough to hang with LSU (it's stated there, no lie). They will be making plans to produce Dante's jersey at Scheels next year, just like they were doing this year for another highly touted Bison transfer, Sidney Haynes. Mark it down. He is like a right handed Donovan McNabb (again, it's stated there, no lie).

(BTW, Donovan McNabb is right handed. And there was some heavy sarcasm in the above post on my part, directed at the unbelieveable expectations of SOME Bison fans, not at Mr. Dante Perez or any other Bison player. I wish him the best of luck.)

If Dante is indeed the best QB in the Valley this year, I will eat my crow with salt and pepper.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Actually Barr has hurt us 2 years in a row. That first year down there he ran all over the field against us as a freshman.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                  Actually Barr has hurt us 2 years in a row. That first year down there he ran all over the field against us as a freshman.
                  That's right. I forgot about that one. Wasn't that the multi-overtime game?
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    That's right. I forgot about that one. Wasn't that the multi-overtime game?
                    Yes thats how I remember it.

Comment

Working...
                    X