Players at SDSU and NDSU from the other state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players at SDSU and NDSU from the other state

I saw in another thread that NDSU got a football player from SD. There was talk about recruiting players from the other schools back yard. I don't know how many head-to-head battles each team won but there are some interesting trends. I looked back to the 08-09 season and these are some of the things I found. This only includes WBB, VB, WCC, Softball, MBB, MCC, Football, Baseball and Wrestling.
    SDSU has 81 athletes from SD and only 2 from ND. They are both men(1 BB and 1 CC).
    NDSU has 55 athletes from ND and 14 from SD.
    There are 32 Women from SD and only 8 from ND.
    There are 62 Men from SD and 49 from ND.
    The men seem to be about even but there are 4 times as many DI women in SD.
    SDSU has 1 baseball player from ND. Other than him, SDSU has 19 athletes in baseball and wrestling and they are all from SD. NDSU has 18 athletes in those 2 sports and they are all from ND.
    I find it hard to believe that SDSU only has 2 athletes from ND.

Re: Players at SDSU and NDSU from the other state

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I saw in another thread that NDSU got a football player from SD. There was talk about recruiting players from the other schools back yard. I don't know how many head-to-head battles each team won but there are some interesting trends. I looked back to the 08-09 season and these are some of the things I found. This only includes WBB, VB, WCC, Softball, MBB, MCC, Football, Baseball and Wrestling.
    SDSU has 81 athletes from SD and only 2 from ND. They are both men(1 BB and 1 CC).
    SDSU has 1 baseball player from ND. Other than him, SDSU has 19 athletes in baseball and wrestling and they are all from SD. NDSU has 18 athletes in those 2 sports and they are all from ND.
    You should have included soccer....I don't think they have a single ND athlete on the roster
    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
      In my opinion two of SDSU best players have come from North Dakota. Pete Retzlaff crossed the boarder at Aberdeen and made the long journey from Ellendale North Dakota to Brookings. Also Ted Wahl was in my opinion one of the best D2 Quarterbacks we had and he came from Valley City or Jamestown, not sure. After we got Ted, Roger Thomas UND's coach made sure he recruited Ted younger brother, Cory. How Coach Haensel managed to recruit Ted is beyond me, but I really liked his arm and ability to find holes and advance the ball instead of standing around and waiting for a tackler. We had our share of lead footed QB's even since moving to D1.

I can recall asking a a few of Daly's coaches and some of Stigs about this very question and the answers were pretty standard and that was that we stay out of ND because we have better opportunities for better recruits in Iowa and Minnesota and other places. To me this made a lot of sense then and now it still does. We could spend a lot of bucks bringing kids from Fargo and GF down to Brookings and end up with nothing. I dont know what it is that gets people going north, but I suppose it would be a variety of things.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 07-20-2009, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        In my opinion two of SDSU best players have come from North Dakota. Pete Retzlaff crossed the boarder at Aberdeen and made the long journey from Ellendale North Dakota to Brookings. Also Ted Wahl was in my opinion one of the best D2 Quarterbacks we had and he came from Valley City or Jamestown, not sure. After we got Ted, Roger Thomas UND's coach made sure he recruited Ted younger brother. How Coach Haensel managed to recruit Ted is beyond me, but I really liked his arm and ability to find holes and advance the ball instead of standing around and waiting for a tackler. We had our share of lead footed QB's even since moving to D1.

I can recall asking a a few of Daly's coaches and some of Stigs about this very question and the answers were pretty standard and that was that we stay out of ND because we have better opportunities for better recruits in Iowa and Minnesota and other places. To me this made a lot of sense then and now it still does. We could spend a lot of bucks bringing kids from Fargo and GF down to Brookings and end up with nothing. I dont know what it is that gets people going north, but I suppose it would be a variety of things.
        I think history of success and facilities is what get's a lot of South Dakota kids to take a scholarship up north. I think Fargo and to a lesser extent Grand Forks offer amenities that are not found in Brookings and Vermillion. I also think the facility gap is closing rapidly and the expectation to win is evolving!

Comment

No question its the Fabulous Fargo Dome and their 8 NC banners. The Alerus tops the Dakota Dome, but not by much and after attending a political rally at Alerus Center, I was not that awed with the facility. Its nice but average. The Ralph which cost a few bucks more is more attractive, ugh despite the logos.

SDSU has a ways to go and once and I agree we are making progess.

Comment

Some of it may be geography. To the west, North Dakota has sparsely populated eastern Montana. To the east they have Minnesota. To the south, South Dakota. To the north is out of the country. South Dakota is bordered by more states and more populated (does that mean better?) choices. The North Dakota Schools have to rely on South Dakota more than the South Dakota schools need to rely on North Dakota for recruiting.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

There simply are more good athletes in South Dakota than in North Dakota. And there are more in Minnesota than in the Dakotas combined.
              This space for lease.

Comment

It all boils down to population...more people...more athletes.
                Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
                Muhammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                X