What would you do....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do....

All this talk of needing a new arena in Sioux Falls and wanting to update or replace Coughlin on campus, as well as the kid out in Mission winning like what 250 mil (I know it was a lot less take home).... got me thinking...

SO, in a completely hypothetical discussion... say you were the lucky person who won the lottery, assuming being a good Jacks fan you wanted to give back to your school...

Where would you put your money to use? In either situation I think if a big donor came in and said here is $XX million to get started.. Both projects would get done in a matter of 3 years or less.

I think potentially a new arena would be better for Sioux Falls, but with the donation you could put a stipulation that anytime State needed the facility they got it free of charge or something, opening up the option for bigger events, possible NCAA bids. etc.....

Likewise, I see a new football facility being great for SDSU, but not really doing much for the rest of the state KWIM?

So, hypothetically speaking... you win the lottery and want to donate $XXmil where do you put your money?

(Yes I am completely bored today, and yes I know this is kind of silly, but that is why I put it in the lounge.)

Re: What would you do....

New East & West stadium seating (with new pressbox) and field turf.

Scholarship endowment to follow (sport TBA).
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I think I may take are of the non-revenue sports first. It has got to be easier to raise money for football and basketball then equestrian and diving. When the little guys are taken care of then I hook up the money makers.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

My first 15% to the church. Next 15% to the soccer, volleyball and construction management program(my son went through the program) split evenly. A million to a good friend of mine, the rest for my family, mostly invested wisely.

Comment

The Indoor Field House would be hard to pass up if we are into brick and morter. With Brookings weather being what it is, it would really help extend the training season for a number of sports. ORU, which is in a much more temperate location has an indoor baseball practice facility under construction. There is a reason they play in the NCAA tourney almost every year.

Scholarship money, either to the endowment or cash on the barrel head would help a lot of well deserving, yellow and blue bleeding, student athletes. I've heard that we have some sports that don't even have a full scholarship.

Our new AD and his staff have a big job ahead; so for now us lottery non winners are just going to do our best to carry the financial load.

Excuse me while I go buy some power ball tickets!

Comment

I checked our alumni directory which is dated and found SDSU has only one Wanless listed, and for those who have forgotten, Mr. Wanless is the young man who won the lottery in last month and happens to be from Winner SD. Unless this young rancher is looking for big time animal research, I doubt SDSU will connect with him, and I certainly don't blame him for funding local projects as that part of the state is still pretty much the wild west range where the buffalo still roam and the sky is not cloudy all day.

I myself if I won the lottery I would probably first sit down with the legions of employees from the foundation and athletic department and let them tell me what they need, and go with their plan. After all they have a better concept of what is needed as of yesterday.

I was a student in 1962 when the first game game was played at Coughlin Alumni Staduim. It seemed to be such an improvement over old State Field even though there was not even the yellow bleachers on the east side, also no trees and not even a dressing room which came a couple years later. A few years before, the area that now contains CAS had dairy cattle eating three square meals. I am not a fuddy duddy and do recognize the improvements needed here, like a whole new facility.

I would imagine that the staff at SDSU would list endowments for scholarships, and then facilities as their priorities, but maybe not. I do know they are eager to work with anyone who feels generous.

I am with Roy on the need for indoor facilities for sping sports as some of them especially baseball get going in terms of playing a good game about the second week in May, but it would be nice to see them get going like in April or before and with a indoor facilty a lot of travel expense could be eliminated because we seem to build the schedules around the late spring weather and travel south to avoid the snow. Outdoor track and softball seem to have similiar results so a huge facility that could accomodate all these sports would be a great idea whose time as not come.

Yep I got a few Power Ball stubs too Roy.

Comment

Working...
            X