X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarter Backs Coach leaving SDSU

Has anyone else heard this rumor?

Re: Quarter Backs Coach leaving SDSU

This would be a big temporary blow to the program if true?

Comment

Must be true as Don Bailey is no longer on the website. Did anyone see that coming?

http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.d...53&SPSID=64630

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        Must be true as Don Bailey is no longer on the website. Did anyone see that coming?

http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.d...53&SPSID=64630
        No, especially not after the last recruit (Simote Moala: DT from California) just signed to come here a couple of weeks ago and he was recruited by Bailey (not necessarily saying Bailey had anything to do with him coming here).

Comment

I'm not really surprised by Bailey leaving as he's developed a little bit of a reputation for not staying in one place too long. I remember that was a cause for concern when he was originally hired. It's definitely poor timing however with the season opener less than 60 days away.
          “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

This isn't necessarily great news, as Bailey has seemed to been tied to a lot of our out of state recruits that we have gotten the past few seasons (the recent CA defensive recuits, Mondol, etc.) He also has a good reputation for developing QB's at all his previous stops, something that we will need the next few years.

Berry also had probably the best QB season in SDSU history under his watch last year...not to say that he was solely responsible for that.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Not sure if Ryan Berry has any intentions of ever coaching or if he's still around the Brookings area but it could be a good fit to make him interim QB coach for the year or a grad assistant or something.

He knows the offense as well as anybody and would be able to step right in. I'm not sure who else SDSU can find with such short notice that would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                Not sure if Ryan Berry has any intentions of ever coaching or if he's still around the Brookings area but it could be a good fit to make him interim QB coach for the year or a grad assistant or something.

He knows the offense as well as anybody and would be able to step right in. I'm not sure who else SDSU can find with such short notice that would be better.
                Interesting idea. It won't happen because Ryan has several graduate school scholarships lined up now and I think he will be moving on to the next phase of his education.

But he would be the type of quarterback that could do something like that. Not the biggest or the fastest QB with the biggest arm in the world so he had to make his way with his mind and his command of the offense.
                The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Man, if this is true, several of you NAILED IT ON THE HEAD in the original thread of his hiring.

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...ghlight=Bailey
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Seems like a name and bio would not be removed from a website unless there was a forth coming press release. I think we are fortunately to have had Don Bailey for this short period of time, but ever since Mike Daly was hired in 1990, the assistant coaches revolving door has been running at full speed and not surprise another is or soon confirmed to be leaving. I dont even have rumors so nothing would make me more happy to hear that Coach Bailey is still with us, and his bio was removed for maintence purposes and subsequently put back where it properly belongs.

That I doubt is the case and no doubt a better offer came his way and he accepted. I never heard any differences in terms of the relatioship with Coach Stig, so I hope he was kind enough to give Stig some good recommendations for a replacement. Coach Bailey is not likely to take the play book with so some one with equal experience and ability can still be hired before fall camp.

If there is a silver lining, its that our budget is not where it should be in terms of salaries to hold assistant coaches on a long term basis. Every nickle we can donate is very much in need. Once we get our salaries for assistants in a better position, the revolving door will slow down.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 07-17-2009, 04:12 PM.

Comment

If he is leaving, I hope it is for another job. Would be much better than for something like a medical/health reason.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Seems like a name and bio would not be removed from a website unless there was a forth coming press release. I think we are fortunately to have had Don Bailey for this short period of time, but ever since Mike Daly was hired in 1990, the assistant coaches revolving door has been running at full speed and not surprise another is or soon confirmed to be leaving. I dont even have rumors so nothing would make me more happy to hear that Coach Bailey is still with us, and his bio was removed for maintence purposes and subsequently put back where it properly belongs.

That I doubt is the case and no doubt a better offer came his way and he accepted. I never heard any differences in terms of the relatioship with Coach Stig, so I hope he was kind enough to give Stig some good recommendations for a replacement. Coach Bailey is not likely to take the play book with so some one with equal experience and ability can still be hired before fall camp.

If there is a silver lining, its that our budget is not where it should be in terms of salaries to hold assistant coaches on a long term basis. Every nickle we can donate is very much in need. Once we get our salaries for assistants in a better position, the revolving door will slow down.
                        You definitely hit the nail on the head with that statement. Our assistant coaches are terribly underpaid and Coach Stig is doing everything he can to try to close the gap with the likes of NDSU and UNI. For instance, North Dakota State's coordinators make around $80,000 a year. Ours make about half that much. Near impossible to keep quality assistants when our coaches salaries are as low as they are.

Comment

Let's face it an assistant coaching position at an FCS school will always be a stepping stone for the better coaches to another more prominent and lucrative postion. With that said if a rival is paying double our salaries than something needs to be rectified. $40,000 with a family does not go far even in Brookings South Dakota. Hopefully some of the money generated from FBS games can be directed to improving assistant coaching salaries. I'm sure AD Justin Sell will make this one of his priorities.

Comment

Do state employee salaries still get published? I know our coaches are underpaid compared to their peers, but to say our coordinators make only $40K a year is a bit misleading. They were pushing $50K when I left six years ago. If they've gone backward since then there's definately a problem.
                            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I was thinking they were in the low 60's. I think the Argus still has the link to all state employees salary info.
                              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                              X