DT position...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT position...

I know the DT position isn't very deep. I have a friend whose son is an incoming DT recruit. Son wants to play right away, dad wants him to take a redshirt (me too). What chance do you see a true (6'4 255) coming in and playing alof of snaps right away at DT?

Re: DT position...

Not much, just think how often a true freshman gets a lot of snaps at any position. It happens sometimes, but not very often even when depth is an issue at a position.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

My take is that this young man will find out exactly where he fits in when he gets to fall camp. He will find out what he does know and what he does not know very quickly. About the only two true freshman that I can recall who have played are Danny Batten and Brodie the kid from Georgia. In both cases it was a depth issue. In Danny Batten case, one of the starters and I dont remember is name made some bad choices and left school. We had no one else and Danny got playing time. I remember talking to Stig at the volleyball tourney which was going on about the time of start of all camp and he told me he was going to start a true freshman but did not really want too. I believe there was similar situation with Brodie the other true freshman.

I have not kept up with depth charts, but if we are light at DT and this young man comes in and shows some real maturity and knowledge of his position, his chances are pretty good of getting reps, but if someone is more experience ahead of him, and is ready to go, then the chances are not as good.

I know Stig would never promise any true freshman playing time unless he could deliever on his promise. Seems like he is a big believer in redshirting and it makes good sense IMO.

Comment

He'll probably change his mind about wanting to play right away when he gets his first reps against the 1's in fall camp.

Taking a redshirt is a great thing for development and just getting used to the speed of the game. Alot of guys on the line (O & D) were able to dominate in high school just by their physical abilities and have a rude awakening when they get to college and aren't able to do that.

Who knows, maybe he'll be the next Danny Batten and be able to be a stud from the moment he steps on campus.

Comment

The reason Danny had to play as a true frosh is because Hank Goff left the program if I remember correctly.

Comment

I am guessing that if he comes in at 255lbs. they will want him to put some weight on before they throw him into the interior of the line. If he is going to play the 1 technique (between the center and guard) he is going to see a lot of double teams and need some weight in his ass 40 lbs +. If he is going to play the three technique (between a guard and tackle) he will still need to put on 20-30 lbs. to not get his lunch ate at this level.

On the other hand, if this is the kid I think it is, I have heard he is a beast and may be able to pull it off. I believe the last interior linemen to not redshirt was Zach Carter in 1994. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Comment

Originally posted by RABBITALUM08 View Post
              The reason Danny had to play as a true frosh is because Hank Goff left the program if I remember correctly.
              Thanks thats the name I recall. We are talking three years ago. So names somethings slip your mind, especially if you have never met them or talked to them.

Comment

I was also thinking that Hank Goff may have not redshirted, not positive on that by any means though

Comment

Originally posted by RABBITALUM08 View Post
                  I was also thinking that Hank Goff may have not redshirted, not positive on that by any means though
                  I think your correct. Hank came in and had a really good true freshman year but than left, or was kicked off, which was seen as a set back but than Danny came in and had a very solid true freshman year.

Hopefully the same will happen with Woody Orne leaving after a good Redshirt Freshman year, hopefully one of this years redshirt freshman can step in and replace Woody.

Comment

Mitch Pontrelli also played his freshman year. I agree with what others have said. In the end after he gets some reps at fall camp he will better understand where he is at. Then it will come down to what he and the coaches feel is best for the team.
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

I would say he will redshirt to let his body develop, eventhough our depth chart at DT would allow him to maybe get some PT. Simote Moala could play right away, but Stig typically likes to reshirt his players and if its not broke, don't fix it. Plus the defensive line in this recruiting class has a chance to be really good and redshirting will help develop their bodies and minds for the college level.

Comment

Working...
                      X