X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bachelor’s and Master's Program

Sounds like Zoo will be the guest lecturer many times:
    http://www.sdstate.edu/news/articles/new-architecture-program.cfm

South Dakota State University will develop the state’s first accredited program in architecture, following approval of the plan this morning by the South Dakota Board of Regents.

Today’s approval culminates nearly two years of study and planning by SDSU officials, led by Dean Jerry Jorgensen from the College of Arts and Sciences. The program will include a master’s of architecture degree completed in six years and a four-year bachelor’s degree in architectural studies.

The new program, which will have an emphasis in sustainable design and construction, aligns closely with several established disciplines at South Dakota State, including engineering, construction management, landscape architecture and interior design, according to President David L. Chicoine.

Re: New Bachelor’s and Master's Program

This is good news. It seems like people interested in this type of study have had to go elsewhere.

Comment

1) Great news for SDSU--they're only 100 years behind the rest of the US.

2) Great news that development was headed up by Jerry Jorgensen. I worked for Jerry in the campus media center as an under grad and have a great deal of respect for the guy. As the dean overseeing this program, I expect good things.

3) Great news also that this is starting under the auspices of Arts & Sciences, not Engineering. The last thing a fledgling architecture program at SDSU needs is to be hidden in the shadow of a well-established, well-respected heavyweight like Civil Engineering.

4) I've already lectured on campus architecture at SDSU.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...907130302/1001

Designs to develop South Dakota architects

SDSU program, state's first, won't need taxpayer money

STEVE YOUNG • syoung@argusleader.com • July 13, 2009

A boy or girl growing up in South Dakota and dreaming of becoming the next Frank Lloyd Wright used to have to look beyond the state's borders to chase that vision.

Not anymore.

The first accredited program in architecture is being developed by South Dakota State University. The program, approved last month by the South Dakota Board of Regents, will accept its first students in fall 2010.

The university is creating a six-year architecture program that will confer a bachelor's degree in architectural studies after four years and a master's degree after the sixth year.

And it won't require a dime from state taxpayers. The SDSU Foundation has committed to raising about one-fourth of the estimated $2.68 million in startup costs for equipment and salaries for faculty and support staff.

The remainder will come from a group of program founders - practicing architects and other SDSU alumni - who have committed to providing the other $2 million in financial and instructional assistance.

"It's probably the most significant launch of a new program from scratch at SDSU in a long, long time," SDSU President David Chicoine says. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Please don't take this as smack...

I just found it a little ironic to see this story in Bismarck's Fishwrap today.

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post

The use of strawbales in construction is not the first as described in the article. At Carthage SD, west of Howard and south of Desmet and home of Charles Coughlin, who got his name on the football staduim and gifted funds to build the campanile, the citizens wanted a museum to house their artifacts and various high school items since the high school closed a few years before. They built their museum using straw bales and its a very neat museum. Often when high school close all the athletic uniforms, trophies, class pictures are auctioned off, but at Carthage it was different, they managed to save a great number of things. I toured this museum a couple of years ago and I believe they had some things relating to their favorite son Charles Coughlin are also in the museum. The collection of class pictures, uniforms and stuff will be or greater interest to future generations, and the straw bale construction will problably last a long time.

To get back to topic, if our future architect students can come up with ideas on using straw bale construction, I believe it will catch on. This article has already ran in the SD papers, and our new school will certainly have a purpose including straw bale construction.

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post

It hasn't been certified "Big Bad Wolf" proof, though.

---

SDSU has done a fair bit of experimentation with this kind of stuff before:

http://www.adobe-home.com/html/ramme...h_history.html

In the 1920's the U.S. Government and a number of State supported colleges/universities became interested in rammed earth. Research and project commenced at the Agricultural Experiment Station, University of California, Davis, in 1926. That same year, Architect M.C. Betts and Engineer T.A.H. Miller published Rammed Earth Walls for Buildings for the U.S.D.A., also known as Farmers Bulletin No. 1500. By the 30's, a number of other schools were involved, perhaps the foremost being the South Dakota Agricultural & Mechanical College (now called South Dakota State). There, a number of treatises were published by Ralph Patty and associate L.W. Minium, as a result of field constructions.

Comment

Lance Nixon at SDSU wrote a good article for South Dakota Magazine about Ralph Patty and his successor H.H. DeLong. Both were leaders in rammed earth construction. Nixon's story is about Steve Burroughs, an Australian who is researching Patty's and DeLong's methods as he pursues rammed earth construction today. The article was in our May/June 2008 issue.

Comment

What kind of capacity for students will these new programs have?

Comment

I think they were expecting 15 in the grad program, 60 to start and 30 to earn B.S.es in '14.

He expects about 60 students to enroll in the first year of the program for what ostensibly are pre-architecture classes, and that about half of those will continue on to get their undergraduate degrees. Conservatively speaking, about 15 from an original class will go on for master's degrees, he said.
                    When I was an undergrad doing research on this for a class in the mid 90s, I was told that the minimum cost of adding a major and department was $1.5M. In fact I may still have the BoR's official paperwork where you fill in projected staff requirements, classroom needs, etc.

I still recall an Interior Design major bristling at the suggestion that her department would benefit from having a department of architecture on the campus.... As though she would not be equally offended to hear an architect dismiss the benefits of an interior design department.

Comment

Working...
                    X