King of Pop and Queen of Posters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King of Pop and Queen of Posters

Sad day for baby boomers. Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett, two icons of the '70s are gone. I feel a little older today.

Re: King of Pop and Queen of Posters

Yes this is a sad day for boomers. Obviously, neither "Beat It"

Comment

and following one of the great Sidekicks, Ed McMahon...

Comment

Farrah Fawcett: Very sad.

Michael Jackson: A little surprising. But seriously, the electrifying entertainer that he was has been gone for a very long time. And I have to say the weirdness and possible child molestation (acquitted of criminal behavior, but paid off on another accusation) is hard for me to forget.

I'm mourning Farrah today.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'm with JJ on the Michael thing. I have enjoyed a lot of his music and it is still in heavy rotation on my Ipod. I heard someone say today that everything in his life went crazy right after his hair caught on fire shooting that Pepsi commercial. That's about when he went away for me also. I am sad for Michael as he never had a real life and that's likely what brought him down the road to the point he is today.

Farah was an Icon. I had that poster on my wall even when I was in college. I loved Charlie's Angels and I even enjoyed that show she did later on with the guy from Dallas and all the kids. I am bummed and sad that she is gone. I feel for her kids as I still hurt for my mom and its been nearly three years. I feel for her husband as I have seen what losing my mother after 39 years has done to my dad.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

When I heard the news about Farrah, I thought how these things seem to happen in threes ... but I never would have guessed Michael Jackson.

Ed McMahon was indeed one of the great sidekicks. He and Johnny Carson are hands down the best! I know I'm dating myself, but it's a shame many on this board probably only know Ed from his recent financial troubles and those silly Cash 4 Gold commercials that ran earlier this year ... and never had the opportunity to see Johnny and Ed on the "Tonight Show".

I had Farrah's iconic poster hanging next to my desk in the dorms at State. Probably not a good thing as it was a major study distraction! But I will also remember her very public battle with cancer and the courage she showed battling that ugly disease.

Jacko ... I have the "Thriller" album, a big round thing with a tiny hole in the middle. Bought it only because I wanted to own the biggest selling album of all time. And that was back when he was still releasing singles off the thing. You cannot argue his talent or the influence he had on the music industry. But I just can't get the court stuff out of my mind. I know this will sound cruel and heartless, but his passing -- while certainly tragic -- doesn't phase me at all.

I mourn more for Ed and Farrah ... and hope all three rest in peace ...
            Last edited by AnimalHouse83; 06-26-2009, 12:18 AM.
            "You trusted us"

Comment

Fame does not rob you of two things in life, death and taxes.

I guess I will always remember Farrah Fawcett's role in Robert Duvall's personally financed movie the Apostle. One of her last I believe. Micheal Jackson was hard to take the last few years so not sure I want to comment further.

Chris Mathews on his show Hardball mentined that Ed McMahon had once did car dealership commericals near Philadelphia, before he made it big.

Comment

Sadly, the "death in threes" thing may not hold up here. We have a fourth iconic death likely coming very soon: Walter Cronkite is gravely ill:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/26/ar...EISSE_BRF.html
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Thanks, JimmyJack. Every evening Walter Cronkite came into my home. He brought the world to me. NBC had Huntley-Brinkley, ABC had Howard K. Smith and CBS had the mega-star (Cronkite). There weren't any other channels to get your news from (CNN, MSNBC, Fox). It was a different world.

Comment

Working...
                  X