College Football 50 States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football 50 States

Vote for the best player in Montana, North Dakota, & South Dakota history.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/poll/index

Canidates are

Tyrone Braxton NDSU
    Phil Hansen NDSU
    Jim Langer SDSU
    Steve Nelson NDSU
    Pete Retzlof SDSU

No players from Montana

Re: College Football 50 States

Get over there and vote. No way that Jim Langer shouldn't finish #1

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
      Get over there and vote. No way that Jim Langer shouldn't finish #1
      Just voted. 704 total votes in, and Jim Langer is tied with Tyrone Braxton and behind Phil Hansen.

This aggression will not stand, man. Get over there and vote for Jim Langer. Do it!
      The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

(I suppose Bison fans will go beserk on this comment but I'm not making it to get a rise out of the Bison.)

Jim Langer and Pete Retzlaff should finish one and two (you can pick the order: Langer #1, Retzlaff #2; or Retzlaff 1 and Langer 2). Our memories of Retzlaff was make this very unscientific poll that much more unreliable but he was an excellent player. I went with Langer in an effort to make sure SDSU has a shot at the #1 just in case too many younger people are voting and they have no memory of Pete.
        Last edited by JackJD; 06-20-2009, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Agreed. Retzlof and Langer are best players on the board, especially in terms of NFL production. Braxton and Hansen were very good, but Steve Nelson? Adam Timmerman had a more storied career.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            Agreed. Retzlof and Langer are best players on the board, especially in terms of NFL production. Braxton and Hansen were very good, but Steve Nelson? Adam Timmerman had a more storied career.
            And more SB rings
            Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
            Muhammad Ali

Comment

I've come to the opinion that all these voting polls (via internet or cell phones) are absolutely worthless and I no longer participate. Unlimited voting? What the heck is that?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                (I suppose Bison fans will go beserk on this comment but I'm not making it to get a rise out of the Bison.)

Jim Langer and Pete Retzlaff should finish one and two (you can pick the order: Langer #1, Retzlaff #2; or Retzlaff 1 and Langer 2). Our memories of Retzlaff was make this very unscientific poll that much more unreliable but he was an excellent player. I went with Langer in an effort to make sure SDSU has a shot at the #1 just in case too many younger people are voting and they have no memory of Pete.
                Shoot most people voting have probably no memory of Langer let alone Retzlaff. I would agree this should have been a landslide for those two guys. It shows either peoples short memory or limited knowledge of the NFL in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Those North Dakota guys were scrubs compared to what Langer and Retzlaff accomplished in the NFL. Do some research North Dakota and Montana fans before you cast a stupid uninformed vote. Unfortunately that seems par for the course these days.

Comment

I might be a little confused, but wasn't Langer on the Miami Dolphins team that won all those Super Bowls, i think Retzlaf was all-pro with the old Philidephia Eagles.I didn't research, just relying on my memory, which i don't trust anymore. ok, i did reference Langer, the div II lineman of the year is presented with the Jim Langer award,must have been pretty good to have an award named after you.

Comment

Langer played linebacker for the Jacks:http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/me...?player_id=121

He was an all pro center who played at around 235-240 pounds, which would be smaller than a lot of NFL H-backs and fullbacks and even some running backs (Brandon Jacobs).

Comment

Funny thing is , Pete Retzlaff was born in Ellendale N.D., in 1931.He's a North Dakotan by birth.

Comment

Nice pub. for us

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4273158

Comment

I'm now pissed off because I got reputation dinged by an anonymous gutless wonder for my post. Gee I wonder if it was a Bison Fan. Even if you take your university affiliation out of the question, I don't see how you can pick anyone but Langer as the pick from this list. (The items below were quickly compiled from GoJacks, GoBison, wikipedia and the NFL Hall of Fame websites.)

Langer: 1) NFL Hall of Famer who is considered one of the best centers ever to play in the NFL. 2) 6 time Pro Bowl selection; 3) 6 Time All-Pro selection; 3) Played in 3 Super Bowls (2 wins); 4) Played every offensive down during Miami's perfect season in 1972; 5) Miami Dolphins Honor Roll member; 6) All-NCC and All-America selection in both football and baseball at SDSU.

Pete Retzlaff: 1) 5 time Pro Bowl selection; 2) 1965 NFL Play of the Year selection; 3) Also served as President of the NFL Players Association; 4) Retzlaff's number 44 jersey has been retired by the Eagles; 5) Also starred in track for SDSU, setting school, NCC and NAIA records in shot and discus in leading team to national team track title in 1953; 6) Set 16 SDSU school records in football and track during his career.

Tyrone Braxton: 1) 1 time Pro Bowl selection in 1996; 2) Led the NFL in interceptions in 1996; 3) Played in 3 Super Bowls with the Broncos (2 wins); 4) Played on 3 NCAA Division II national championship teams and one runner-up team; 5) NCC All Conference selection at NDSU in football; 6) Member of 1986 NCC 400-meter relay championship team.

Phil Hansen: 1) 1991 NFL All-Rookie Team; 2) Played on 3 Super Bowl Teams (0 wins); 3) Member of 2 Division II national chamipion teams at NDSU; 4) 2 time first team All-American pick.
                          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                            I'm now pissed off because I got reputation dinged by an anonymous gutless wonder for my post. Gee I wonder if it was a Bison Fan. Even if you take your university affiliation out of the question, I don't see how you can pick anyone but Langer as the pick from this list. (The items below were quickly compiled from GoJacks, GoBison, wikipedia and the NFL Hall of Fame websites.)

Langer: 1) NFL Hall of Famer who is considered one of the best centers ever to play in the NFL. 2) 6 time Pro Bowl selection; 3) 6 Time All-Pro selection; 3) Played in 3 Super Bowls (2 wins); 4) Played every offensive down during Miami's perfect season in 1972; 5) Miami Dolphins Honor Roll member; 6) All-NCC and All-America selection in both football and baseball at SDSU.

Pete Retzlaff: 1) 5 time Pro Bowl selection; 2) 1965 NFL Play of the Year selection; 3) Also served as President of the NFL Players Association; 4) Retzlaff's number 44 jersey has been retired by the Eagles; 5) Also starred in track for SDSU, setting school, NCC and NAIA records in shot and discus in leading team to national team track title in 1953; 6) Set 16 SDSU school records in football and track during his career.

Tyrone Braxton: 1) 1 time Pro Bowl selection in 1996; 2) Led the NFL in interceptions in 1996; 3) Played in 3 Super Bowls with the Broncos (2 wins); 4) Played on 3 NCAA Division II national championship teams and one runner-up team; 5) NCC All Conference selection at NDSU in football; 6) Member of 1986 NCC 400-meter relay championship team.

Phil Hansen: 1) 1991 NFL All-Rookie Team; 2) Played on 3 Super Bowl Teams (0 wins); 3) Member of 2 Division II national chamipion teams at NDSU; 4) 2 time first team All-American pick.
                            Of all these great athletes, Pete Retzlaff is probably in the best physical condition of all. He has kept in very good physical condition over the years.

Comment

Working...
                            X