America's Freest State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's Freest State

In a slow news day, Yahoo had a story about the most free and least free states in the Union, as measured by George Mason University. Top three "most-free": New Hampshire, Colorado and South Dakota.

Story link.

From the story:
    "...A study entitled "Freedom In the 50 States: An Index of Personal And Economic Freedom," published by the Mercatus Center of George Mason University, sets out to answer this question.
    The study, conducted by William P. Ruger and Jason ReSorens and released earlier this year, explores what the authors claim is the "first-ever comprehensive ranking of American states on their public policies affecting individual freedoms in the economic, social, and personal spheres." To create this ranking, Ruger and ReSorens outline three categories into which freedoms fit: fiscal policy (which covers spending and taxation), regulatory policy (which refers to such issues as labor regulations and health insurance), and Paternalism (which includes such categories as gambling and alcohol regulations)...."

Slow news day.

Re: America's Freest State

Isn't Freeiest spelt with an ie ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
      I'm pretty sure he spelled it right. It doesn't look right but the spell check on Firefox says it's ok.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

If you live in South Dakota, New Hampshire or Colorado you're free to spell it any way you want to.

Comment

Spelling correction fail. <grin>
          Last edited by filbert; 05-29-2009, 08:44 PM. Reason: Forgot emoticon/smiley/whatever thingie
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You mean this one?

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=8033

(I had the weirdest feeling of deja vu when I saw the thread title.)

Comment

Good catch, Hammersmith. That story seemed vaguely familiar.

"Freest" is the way it was spelled in the Yahoo story headline. I have to admit it looked goofy to me but is apparently correct. (Yahoo does not always spell words correctly.)

Comment

If you take free & add est it would be freeest, that looks even goofier yet. I can see why it's probably freest.That doesn't happen much evidently where you have a word ending in ee , to go from free to freest.Still looks funny though.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                  If you take free & add est it would be freeest, that looks even goofier yet. I can see why it's probably freest.That doesn't happen much evidently where you have a word ending in ee , to go from free to freest.Still looks funny though.

Meh. Just call it 'more free than any other' and move on. The truest measurement of 'fluency' is the ability to correctly get one's point across, while staying within the rules of grammar, syntax, and sentence structure, etc. This comes from a truly cunning linguist...

Comment

Working...
                  X