Sad days to be a Jackrabbit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad days to be a Jackrabbit

Earlier today I learned that we lost Kim McDermott two weeks ago.

Anyone fortunate enough to have known Chewie understands what a tough loss this is. He was a great guy and a great friend.

Rest in peace #59.

EJ
    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Re: Sad days to be a Jackrabbit

My condolences to the family. It's tough to lose a well respected member of any sports community. I feel your loss. God bless his wife and family.

Yoteforever

Comment

I don't remember much about Kim, can you refresh me. I feel bad, because we are the same age and as much of a sports fan as I've been - I just can't place him.

My condolences to Katie and the McDermott friends and family.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
        I don't remember much about Kim, can you refresh me. I feel bad, because we are the same age and as much of a sports fan as I've been - I just can't place him.

My condolences to Katie and the McDermott friends and family.
        Kim had a big Fu Manchu mustache (hence, Chewie) and looked as intimating as heck. He played guard for the Jacks in '83, '84 and '85. He started at least two of those years, I believe. He played with some of the all-time greats, including Rick Wegher, Dennis Thomas, Todd Yackley, Mike Busch, Jeff Tiefenthaler, Dan Sonnek, Bruce Klostermann, etc. He loved Brookings and SDSU and loved coming back for Beef Bowl and the FB Alumni event.

Kim's brother, Kelly, also played on the O-line for the Jacks from 1987 to 1990.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

This is very sad news. Chewie lived 2 doors down from me my Freshman year in Pearson Hall and was my RA my last year on campus. He looked intimidating but he was one of the nicest guys you could meet. One of my favorite memories is that Kim was the Rabbit during basketball season for the 84-85 school year if I remember right.

Comment

It sad to lose anyone this age and it appears Kim was a class person and made SDSU very proud by being successful as an educator after college and football. Those that knew him from campus and his family, my sincere condolences.

Comment

Boy, when you said his nickname was Chewie, I thought you were talking about a different person. We also called his younger brother (Kelly) Chewie. I met Kelly my senior year in HS and lived on his floor in Young Hall. Knowing the type of person Kelly is, I can only imagine Kim was the same. Sorry to hear of the loss.
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Condolences to the family. The jackrabbit family lost a good one
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Chewie (Kelly) was my roommate my Freshman year. Kelly is one of the best people I know, from what I heard Kim was the same, this is very sad news, my sympathies go to the family.

Comment

I just found out that this community of Jacks existed. My brother cast a big shadow that I benefited from greatly! I would have never have played for SDSU if it wasn't for him. Some Jacks showed up for his funeral. It, while being incredibly sad, was wonderful. My brother touched so many people. I thank those who wrote kind things about him. It was a little freaky to see my brothers posts in 2006. Since I am coaching some 6th grade football, I will not be able to make a game this year, but next year I will come back; see the new digs and I hope to run into some of you. Kelly McDermott

Comment

Originally posted by Chewy55 View Post
                      I just found out that this community of Jacks existed. My brother cast a big shadow that I benefited from greatly! I would have never have played for SDSU if it wasn't for him. Some Jacks showed up for his funeral. It, while being incredibly sad, was wonderful. My brother touched so many people. I thank those who wrote kind things about him. It was a little freaky to see my brothers posts in 2006. Since I am coaching some 6th grade football, I will not be able to make a game this year, but next year I will come back; see the new digs and I hope to run into some of you. Kelly McDermott
                      Welcome to the board! Being able to share memories about a no longer with us family member is a great part of this board (I've done it too). Please add in any thread as we enjoy greater participation by ex-Jacks.

Comment

Working...
                      X