No announcement yet.

Mackenzie Angner to play on USA Athletes International, Inc. squad in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackenzie Angner to play on USA Athletes International, Inc. squad in Europe

I saw this in my email inbox today from a friend with ties to the volleyball program. Looks like Mackenzie Angner is preparing to go to Europe for 10-days on an All-Star type squad and play some European squads. She has been a fun athlete to watch in her time at State, she'll be a good spokesperson for SDSU while over there. Sorry for the long read.

Best of luck Ohio!
    Angner awaits memorable trip to Europe

This past November, Jackrabbit volleyball standout Mackenzie Angner thought her competitive volleyball days were over. The volleyball stalwart for the Jacks had just finished her NCAA eligibility after SDSU was eliminated from Summit League postseason play. Turns out they weren’t, as the 6-foot outside hitter was selected to participate in a 10-day European Tour that starts June 1 in Vienna, Austria. In fact it is Angner’s first trip outside North America.
    The Cincinnati native was in shock when she got an information packet from USA Athletes International, Inc. in the mail over Christmas Break. The Olathe, Kansas company picked her from recommendations of several coaches. The recommendations weren’t just because of her athletic ability, but based on her character, leadership ability, and scholastic work.
    If all goes well on the trip, the Cincinnati native can see herself playing overseas professionally after she graduates in December. Angner is just another in a line of hardworking, passionate Jackrabbit athletes getting a shot to shine overseas.
    “It is fantastic, I thought it would be all over for me after my senior year,” said the pre-dentistry major. “I’m going to use this as a tester to see whether or not I am cut out for professional volleyball overseas. If the treatment isn’t well or the competition isn’t as it appears to be, then I probably won’t pursue it. I have high hopes that I’ll really enjoy it.”
    Of the thousands of college volleyball players that play, only a select few are picked for this team. Angner joins a pair from Harvard, athletes from Oklahoma, Utah, Florida, and Nebraska on this All-Star type team. And she is ready to the experience as a door opener for future volleyball players who want to play professionally after their college days are done.
    “We’re going to be touring all day and playing at night,” said the talented outside hitter. “It will be a great opportunity for me to have an experience overseas and playing volleyball. But I will bring back knowledge and information to SDSU to help out with recruitment and other areas. Many Division I schools had athletes that have gone and experienced over there. It can be a great recruiting tool to offer this possibility to future recruits.”
    Angner and another former Jackrabbit volleyball star Kristina Martin had talked about playing professionally many times in the past. But after hearing some horror stories, neither knew what to expect. Until now, as Angner gets a chance to find the out the lies and truths.
    In particular, the fact European squads have limited weight training and athletic training staffs to oversee the athletes. But on this trip, Jackrabbit head coach Nana Allison-Brewer’s former boss will be in charge of everything.
    “I really do want to play overseas,” Angner said. “At SDSU, we are like a family, where everyone takes care of each other. But who knows who’d take care of my teammates and me while we’re over there. It’s kind of nice that Nana’s former boss will be in charge and take care of us. That’s just another great thing about South Dakota State, so many great things have come my way.”
    The trip isn’t cheap either, as it costs Angner $4,000. The cost includes round trip airfare, hotel accommodations, meals and tours of the European landscape among many things. Because of limited athletic department budgeting, she had to pay for that out of pocket, more specifically her sister’s pocket. Now Angner is in the fundraising mode to pay off the cost of the trip. She has made fliers informing friends, family and fans of what she will be doing, where she is going.
    In addition, she also is telling how great of an opportunity it is for the university. Angner will also be blogging on the Jackrabbit athletic department website about her journey.
    “If the community wants to help out they can, but they aren’t obligated to,” said Angner. “The trip is already paid for and I am going. But it’d be nice to pay my sister back quicker.”
    For those interested in helping cover Angner’s travel expenses, donations can be sent to:
    Mackenzie Angner
    6359 Melissaview Ct.
    Cincinnati, Ohio 45248

Angner’s European Tour Schedule:
    Day 1 – Travel to Vienna, Austria
    Day 2 – Tour Vienna and Practice
    Day 3 – Tour Vienna, visit Ljubljana, Slovenia and a Game
    Day 4 – Transfer to Carinthia, Austrian, visit Lake Worthersee and a Game
    Day 5 – Tour of the Alps and a Game
    Day 6 – Boat Transfer to Venice Italy and city tour
    Day 7 – Transfer to Tuscany, Italy and a Game
    Day 8 – Tour of Florence, Italy