X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD BOR Report

The Board of Regents Report is out...

http://www.sdbor.edu/board/items/doc...COMMB0509B.pdf

TV posted this link on his blog. Page 27 is the start of athletics.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Re: SD BOR Report

I think the financial statement in the report is "must reading" for everyone. It not only provides great comparisons among institutions, it gives fans a look at how much it costs to offer the various athletic programs. Of special note is gate receipts. Wow! Thank goodness for donors and corporate sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
      I think the financial statement in the report is "must reading" for everyone. It not only provides great comparisons among institutions, it gives fans a look at how much it costs to offer the various athletic programs. Of special note is gate receipts. Wow! Thank goodness for donors and corporate sponsors.
      Interesting to see the amount of scholarship money 11.5 million at SDSU which is almost double that of any of the other smaller universities in the state. For athletics we also nearly double the next university in funding scholarships.

When you look at the break down regarding the source of the funds SDSU again doubles the smaller universities in all categories from federal sources, the institution, the foundation, and outside sources. We need to continue to grow what is for all practical purposes, the states flagship institution.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

why is there a lien against the new student union at USD?

I agree about reading it.... SDSU funds baseball more then any of the NAIA schools fund football or basketball...

Comment

Just appears that Hagen hasn't paid for part of the building. The school can not "close" on the building until all liens are removed. Doesn't appear that it is anything to do with USD - just the contractor that built it.

Comment

It is interesting to note, we didn't recieve any money from the conference this year, and I don't think we get any next year. I wonder how much the average Summit pay out is? I see the NCC paid out $150K to USD and the NSIC almost $25K to Northern. Can anybody find that information? Hammersmith?
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
              Just appears that Hagen hasn't paid for part of the building. The school can not "close" on the building until all liens are removed. Doesn't appear that it is anything to do with USD - just the contractor that built it.
              ok, that makes more sense..... I saw that and was like hmmmmm?

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                It is interesting to note, we didn't recieve any money from the conference this year, and I don't think we get any next year. I wonder how much the average Summit pay out is? I see the NCC paid out $150K to USD and the NSIC almost $25K to Northern. Can anybody find that information? Hammersmith?
                I believe as part of our membership agreement we were not allowed any money from the conference the first 2 years. I think we will receive a payment this coming year going forward.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

After reading the report I feel pretty good that my University is moving forward and making the right decisions.

Comment

Worth remembering, this report is for FY 2008. We're finishing FY 2009 on June 30. So it's not entirely fair to compare SDSU to USD using those numbers. This report is for USD's final year in D2. Their $5 million budget is very respectable for D2. The interesting numbers will start coming in next year at this time.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      Worth remembering, this report is for FY 2008. We're finishing FY 2009 on June 30. So it's not entirely fair to compare SDSU to USD using those numbers. This report is for USD's final year in D2. Their $5 million budget is very respectable for D2. The interesting numbers will start coming in next year at this time.
                      Thanks JJ. I had thought the 07FY from last year report was indeed 08FY, and next year as you say the numbers between USD and SDSU are probably not comparable in terms of being in the same NCAA classification.

In last years report 07FY the Consession/Vending for SDSU was reported at about 425,000, and was significantly larger than the 06fy report and again in 08fy, the amount is about 189,000. I am wondering why the one year is signficant higher and out of trend. The other years the concessions have been close to or in excess of 200,000. I know Aramark took over somewhere in that time frame and their prices were higher than the former vendor, but either something was included in that one year that is not included this year. Good to see the bottom line is a postitive cash amount. Could that higher amount reflected a corporate sponsorship by Aramark? Just curious.

Comment

The power and prestige of the conference your school is affiliated with has financial ramifications. Last Friday, the Big XII conference announced at their annual meetings they will be distributing $130 Million dollars out to the member schools.

That I believe was an increase of 13.5 or 14.5%. Each school would get a minimum of $9MM. My point being is if the Summit League can grow, and gain some TV time on affiliated channels, it may provide dividends to member schools in the future. If Summit League schools can be competitive with conferences maybe more highly regarded, it would be financially beneficial to all scholls involved.

I think of the success Sioux Falls had in hosting the basketball tournaments, and SDSU womens team incredible run, and maybe good things will be on the horizon financially for the league. Stablization and balance are keys for that to happen.

Thanks for posting the BOR report, it was enlightening.

Comment

The - FY08 Athletic Funding -Income and Expense Statement - All Accounts, is really informative. I was able to find the FY07 Report and print that also.

I would like to print the reports from earlier years for comparison but am having trouble finding those in the BOR archives. That's assuming the report was generated prior to FY07. Not that user friendly, at least for this user!

If one of you more knowledgeable types could give me a hand finding the FY06 and earleir (if available) copies I would appreciate it.

I promise to give you the naming rights for the new stadium (No Dome)when I win the Powerball!

JJ is correct, the FY09 report will be the most interesting.

Comment

"ROY FIELD" at Coughlin Alumni Stadium!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds Great.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                              The - FY08 Athletic Funding -Income and Expense Statement - All Accounts, is really informative. I was able to find the FY07 Report and print that also.

I would like to print the reports from earlier years for comparison but am having trouble finding those in the BOR archives. That's assuming the report was generated prior to FY07. Not that user friendly, at least for this user!

If one of you more knowledgeable types could give me a hand finding the FY06 and earleir (if available) copies I would appreciate it.

I promise to give you the naming rights for the new stadium (No Dome)when I win the Powerball!

JJ is correct, the FY09 report will be the most interesting.
                              I think I found the FY06 Athletic Report, but I don't think there were any before that.

http://www.sdbor.edu/board/items/doc...tteeb0607a.pdf (page 43)

Of course, since the above report was part of the June 2007 BoR meeting, you might already have it but refer to it as the FY07 report.

Comment

Working...
                              X