Time to Give Pitchers a Chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Give Pitchers a Chance

11-8 in the first round? Enough is enough NCAA. I know the coaches (Texas, LSU, etc.......) get their pockets greased by the bat makers, but give me a break. You can jump from conference tournament to conference tournament and all you see is runs scored. It's time for wood bats. 11-8 in the first round of a conference tournament should be more the exception than the rule. I don't know how this will get done, but it needs to happen. Bring baseball back!

Re: Time to Give Pitchers a Chance

Absolutely agree.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Agree 1000% unfortunately I don't see it happening anytime soon

Comment

It would be neat if some one with research dollars laying around would try to quantify the difference between wood and metal bats upon impact with the baseball. I dont disagree with anyone about the difference, but I think some study would be helpful, or the NCAA could probably just clamp down on these coaches who are reaping the benefits from the bat manufacturers. Our society is being choked by lobbists in all shapes and forms.
        The NCAA is suppose to be self governing by its members, so those with weak baseball programs need to organize.

Yes I think we need to give the pitchers a chance and going back to wood bats would have little affect on our inventory of timber.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          It would be neat if some one with research dollars laying around would try to quantify the difference between wood and metal bats upon impact with the baseball. I dont disagree with anyone about the difference, but I think some study would be helpful, or the NCAA could probably just clamp down on these coaches who are reaping the benefits from the bat manufacturers.
          There have been studies done on the comparison of wood vs metal bats. Just let me know if you would like to take a look at those studies.

Comment

While we're at it . . . ban maple bats (before they kill somebody). There's an epidemic of broken bats in the major leagues, and the bats that break are maple, not ash.

Ash breaks. Maple shatters. Somebody's going to get impaled when a piece of a shattered maple bat hits them just right. It's only a matter of time.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              There have been studies done on the comparison of wood vs metal bats. Just let me know if you would like to take a look at those studies.
              Yes I would like to see these studies. If you have links, then that would be helpful
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                While we're at it . . . ban maple bats (before they kill somebody). There's an epidemic of broken bats in the major leagues, and the bats that break are maple, not ash.

Ash breaks. Maple shatters. Somebody's going to get impaled when a piece of a shattered maple bat hits them just right. It's only a matter of time.
                Didn't MLB ban maple bats? Or were they just in the process of looking at it? I can't remember which one it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Yes I would like to see these studies. If you have links, then that would be helpful
                  Thanks.
                  Here are a few of the studies done on bat performance and injury risk pertaining to metal bats:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...gdbfrom=pubmed

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                    Didn't MLB ban maple bats? Or were they just in the process of looking at it? I can't remember which one it was.
                    They're talking about it. (I'm not sure who "they" is in this context, however.)
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I would think the athlete's would embrace the idea. I know a lot of times I've heard about how it's hard to project a player into the professional scene because of the effects of metal bats. I can remember when I was a young 'un at SDSU baseball camp, Ryan Endres was telling me how he'd been to an open tryout for a team. I think he hit quite a few bombs, but was told none of them would have been homers with a wooden bat. I may be butchering the story, but that's what I remember...it was either him or a teammate, but Endres was the one telling the story. Nevertheless, it seems like the difference in bats is always a point of contention.

Comment

http://deadspin.com/5267251/heres-a-revolutionary-idea
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                        X