• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Oien article

Well, it's in today's paper:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...S0202/90516008

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...S0202/90516007

Re: Fred Oien article

Nothing new there. Everybody knows Fred has a temper. I had heard all of those stories before. And I still think Fred did a tremendous job as AD and showed a tremendous vision in the D1 move (which nobody denies, including the sources in the story.) One thing I try to remember is not to judge people based only on their worst moments. Fred deserved better than this, but he definitely had some bad moments that affected people around him.

I hope people will take the time to read Terry's blog post where Micah Grenz explains why he spoke up. Nobody cared more or worked harder to promote SDSU athletics. But Micah's a person who truly does try to live his life with integrity. I know very few people so single-minded about being the best person they can be. It's just not in his character to lie or avoid the truth. And he's also very dedicated to his friends, including some people who didn't have a great experience in the athletic department.

So rather than savage Micah (or the other sources) I think it's a good idea to just move on. Fred's gone. TV felt this was an important story to tell. You can argue that point, but it's done, and it's a newspaper story, which means it's here today and gone tomorrow. Obsessing over it only makes sure it takes on a life of its own.

Now let's support our new AD and the athletic staff and student athletes and look forward to another great year for SDSU athletics. I, for one, can't wait for Sept. 12.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'll say odd timing as this could have been researched and written a long time ago. But he still treated Fred very well. While you can say these people may have an axe to grind, they only touched the tip of the iceberg.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

I think Terry V is going to take some heat for this article, which I don't agree with. People need to remember Terry is hired to report on all things SDSU Athletics, and that includes the good and the bad.
        As for the article, many knew about some of Fred's issues, now it is out there for everyone to read. I think Fred did a very good job leading SDSU through the D1 transition. But I wonder did he hold some sports back? Did Fred tick off some big boosters which would affect fund raising?

Comment

I just started following SDSU athletics through this forum about three or four years ago so lots of these allegations predate my interest.

I am in a service club with the president of Lindenwood. I'm sure he'll be bringing in Soderberg in to speak before the group in the next month or two. Anything about the old days that I should pose publicly or privately?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            Nothing new there. Everybody knows Fred has a temper. I had heard all of those stories before. And I still think Fred did a tremendous job as AD and showed a tremendous vision in the D1 move (which nobody denies, including the sources in the story.) One thing I try to remember is not to judge people based only on their worst moments. Fred deserved better than this, but he definitely had some bad moments that affected people around him.

I hope people will take the time to read Terry's blog post where Micah Grenz explains why he spoke up. Nobody cared more or worked harder to promote SDSU athletics. But Micah's a person who truly does try to live his life with integrity. I know very few people so single-minded about being the best person they can be. It's just not in his character to lie or avoid the truth. And he's also very dedicated to his friends, including some people who didn't have a great experience in the athletic department.

So rather than savage Micah (or the other sources) I think it's a good idea to just move on. Fred's gone. TV felt this was an important story to tell. You can argue that point, but it's done, and it's a newspaper story, which means it's here today and gone tomorrow. Obsessing over it only makes sure it takes on a life of its own.

Now let's support our new AD and the athletic staff and student athletes and look forward to another great year for SDSU athletics. I, for one, can't wait for Sept. 12.
            So much of what I have heard around and in the HPER Department is often third and fourth hand stuff and I suspect the only reason I never experienced the wrath of Dr. Oien's anger was the simple fact that I was donating money on a monthly basis. There was always kind words an a great smile when I encountered Fred, but that can be taken in a positive manner. If Fred treated other booster like he treated me, I think that speaks volumnes about how he worked with the public. When I first qualified for priority parking, I arrived late from my home in Columbus Nebraska and found no parking. I mentioned it casually to Fred and at the next event, I had four staff people come to me an apologize. If that bad management, then no wonder all our business is going overseas, as some people do not care or worry about consumers and customers. Fred did care a great deal about donors, boosters and fans.

The two former coaches who spoke at length in the article probably had their differences with Fred, but some of the third hand information I picked up on indicated that they often over stepped their bounds as coaches. Should Fred been a Casper Milktoast and let them have their way? I dont think so.

Fred was not perfect and could he have managed differently? Probably!! Would he have accompolished as much for SDSU under a softer and gentle way? Probably not. I have all kinds of managers and the ones who are direct and let you know their expectations are the best and easiest ones to work for. I do think Society has in general a dicipline problem that includes both managers and workers. So there is enough blame to go around. Including Micah Grenz, whose one encounter with me was not impressive.

I do hope that AD Justin Sells is not distracted by these Argus Articles. Will they be helpful to Mr Sells? I don't know.

After all this venting on my part, I think JJ is right, its time to move on.

Comment

Is anyone else having issues with the online article? Each of the hyperlinks for the follow on pages just reloads page 1 on my system.

Comment

Pretty bland stuff and nothing new.

Comment

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
                  Is anyone else having issues with the online article? Each of the hyperlinks for the follow on pages just reloads page 1 on my system.
                  They worked fine for me
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

My reaction to the article: Shrug.

/enter snark mode
                    Seems to me it's all wrapped up with a bow on it now.
                    /leave snark mode

We go forward.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I have read the article and have to agree with JackJD. There was nothing in there that most people didn't know about.

AD is a very high profile and stressful job. Passionate people who expect much from those around them are successful and that is how I would categorize Dr. Oien. I am not saying his actions were right, but I would have rather had that than someone layed back who didn't care as long as he/she got a paycheck.

I just want to remind people who blame TV for this article that he is the SDSU beat writer not the PR writer for all things good at SDSU. I don't blame him one bit and I agree with the above posters that said read the article and move on.

Comment

It's funny you mention this because someone asked TV during his recent live chat if he was working for SDSU as a PR writer. I guess this story shoots down that allegation.

But I'll toe the line with everyone here. It's over, it's done, it's time to move on. Thanks, Fred, for helping us get to this point in Division I athletics. Justin, we wish you all the best as you strive to push us even further.
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

This may or may not be relevant or fair or whatever. I remember an event I attended in Sioux Falls 5+ years ago that Fred was at. We happened to be leaving at the same time and were parked near each other. I was surprised to a successful "Dr" and AD driving a, well, junker. I'm not a real materialistic person but it just stood out and I've never forgot it. I thought back at that time that he must have some "issues". I come from a car family background (used to be a manager at a dealership, father and brother owned/own car lots, uncle owns a lot, etc) so I guess I think I can usually tell alot about a person by what they drive.

Like I said, this might not be fair or make sense but it just stood out to me and when discussing Freds "issues" my mind always goes back to that date.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                            This may or may not be relevant or fair or whatever. I remember an event I attended in Sioux Falls 5+ years ago that Fred was at. We happened to be leaving at the same time and were parked near each other. I was surprised to a successful "Dr" and AD driving a, well, junker. I'm not a real materialistic person but it just stood out and I've never forgot it. I thought back at that time that he must have some "issues". I come from a car family background (used to be a manager at a dealership, father and brother owned/own car lots, uncle owns a lot, etc) so I guess I think I can usually tell alot about a person by what they drive.

Like I said, this might not be fair or make sense but it just stood out to me and when discussing Freds "issues" my mind always goes back to that date.
                            Your statement regarding the vehicle he drives indicates that he "must have some 'issues'" is totally off base. Who cares what kind of car he drives? I know many successful people who drive beaters simply because of the fact that they aren't materialistic or buy into American culture that one must drive a new, fancy car to be considered successful. Warren Buffett drives a 2001 Lincoln Towncar with a vanity plate that says "Thrifty." Does that make him any less successful?
                            Last edited by rcjacks; 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Just have one observation: Having a 'high pressure' job does not excuse losing your temper so frequently as to have a reputation for doing so.

Nothing in this article seemed all that surprising to me... Including the possibility that Chicoine didn't know if one of his direct reports was being investigated by the university's personnel office.

Comment

Working...
                              X